Nexus and The Core

ninevisions

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the New Nexus look the business. Mason Ryan's been a class addition. He looked intense as fuck on his debut and I remember seeing him at All Star a few years back and me and Ian_Hitmanhart knew he was set for the WWE at some point. I've liked Husky Harris since I heard he was IRS' fat son and he impressed me on NXT. Otunga was my pick to win I Love New York 2 when he squared up to them two pissheads treating New York like a whore. I like the way theres now two blokes either side of Punk when they do there in ring pose and all wear the shirts. Best thing in wrestling atm for me.

The Corre are shite. They sound like some shitty stable TNA would churn out and they've been hastily cobbled together as creative cant think of anything to do with any of them. I think Barrett's got it in his locker to be seen as a bonafide main eventer but anytime he gets near a main event he gets the shit kicked out of him.

The Corre for me. New Nexus is all about Punk. Husky and Perfect are alright but it doesn't make sense for them, and Otunga, to be Punk's bitches. Otunga's also a bit pants, I think he has more potential as a babyface. he certainly sucks as a heel.

The Corre: Wasn't a Big Zeke fan until now. Now he's awesome - and Mason Ryan is probably completely shit.

Gabiel and Slater are really good workers, well smooth.

Punk edges out Barret but otherwise the Core is just better than the new Nexus.

IMO.

The Corre for me. New Nexus is all about Punk. Husky and Perfect are alright but it doesn't make sense for them, and Otunga, to be Punk's bitches. Otunga's also a bit pants, I think he has more potential as a babyface. he certainly sucks as a heel.

The Corre: Wasn't a Big Zeke fan until now. Now he's awesome - and Mason Ryan is probably completely shit.

IMO.

So you didn't like him as a face just coming out and squashing people but now he looks like the odd one out of the Corre and talks like Ibraham Bagayoko with no delivery you think he's the dogs bollocks. I question you're judgement.

I love how wrestling fans just write people off cause theres little to no chance they can pull off a shining wizard #3. In wrestling, getting your look right is half the battle. Ryan looks the business AND he's British, that's a rare combination in itself.

What bothers me about the New Nexus is this: the catalyst for Wade Barrett's downfall was David Otunga's reluctance to be subservient as part of a group - this was what ultimately opened the door for CM Punk to become leader. Now, all of a sudden, Otunga's not only happy to take orders, but he's such a total bitch that he'll happily get smacked up by The Big Show just to give his boss a bit of a stiffy. Doesn't really make sense, does it?

So instead of one good faction we have two slightly crappy ones, but at least the interaction between the two should make for good, unpredictable TV. there's no immediately obvious direction in which this will go.

• Paid Members
So you didn't like him as a face just coming out and squashing people but now he looks like the odd one out of the Corre and talks like Ibraham Bagayoko with no delivery you think he's the dogs bollocks. I question you're judgement.

Hang on. How many times have you heard Ibrahim Bakayoko talk to make that extremely peculiar comparison? I don't remember him cutting many heel promos in his Everton days.

What bothers me about the New Nexus is this: the catalyst for Wade Barrett's downfall was David Otunga's reluctance to be subservient as part of a group - this was what ultimately opened the door for CM Punk to become leader. Now, all of a sudden, Otunga's not only happy to take orders, but he's such a total bitch that he'll happily get smacked up by The Big Show just to give his boss a bit of a stiffy. Doesn't really make sense, does it?

I dunno, i was thinking that Otunga wasn't happy with Barrett as the leader of the group, as he's somebody who has exactly the same experience level as him and the other Nexus members (in WWE world anyway), and who's only compliment so far is to win a crappy "reality" show. CM Punk being leader is a completely different kettle of fish though, he's a former tag & IC Champ, and is a multi time World Champion, so therefore he's somebody who has been there and done it.

If you were in Otunga's shoes, who's group would you want to be a part of?

IMO.

I love how wrestling fans just write people off cause theres little to no chance they can pull off a shining wizard #3. In wrestling, getting your look right is half the battle. Ryan looks the business AND he's British, that's a rare combination in itself.

For your first point: Menacing facial expressions.

For your second point: N/A

• Paid Members

Punk's Nexus-It's a great vehicle for Punk. Recently he seems to have taken on an almost Emporer Palpatine kind of role with his already cult leader-like character and I'm really enjoying his work. Mason Ryan is a great addition to the group for me, he gives it that extra bit of 'oomph' that I think it was sorely missing. He's very much the enforcer of the group, like this decades answer to Batista when he joined Evolution. As I've said in other threads, his ring work may be questioned now but then so was Batista's when he initially got a call up to the main roster. I predict a similar path for Ryan.

As for the other three, I think they still need to further establish their individual characters but I do think all three have potential to be assets to the group. For instance, David Otunga right now is just being a whiny little bitch. Prior to Ryan's arrival, I guess he'd have made an ok enforcer/bodyguard type of guy, but now that position is taken. We know about his famous wife and his 'a-list' stuff, so why not play up to it more? Give the guy some bling, give him a suit, give him fast cars, make him a proper a-lister. It might not suit Punk's authoritive tone, but I think it could still be incorporated somehow.

In FCW, Hennig Jr. and one of the DiBiase brothers (Brett?) had a tag team called 'The Fortunate' sons, which I think would be easily redoable with Husky (Son of IRS, I think?). Push them both as the main tag team duo of Nexus for a while, give them a cool double team finisher. It's not exactly rocket science and it wouldn't take much effort creatively either. As I said, regarding Otunga/Perfect Jr/Harris, they need to further establish individual characters for them. They can't just be three guys in Nexus shirts, because no one will really care. I liked the initiation process, but they need to follow up on that kind of stuff if they want people to properly care about them.

Barretts Nexus Wolfpac(~~~)- This is something these four have sorted already, in that all four have at least a little something going for them. Barrett is one of the top heels in the company for me, Justin Gabriel is clearly the most athletic of the group, Jackson is a big, black, tough motherfucker and Heath Slater is...well, he's a bit of a dullard, but he's not on the level of his New Nexus counterparts. At the moment, these four have more about them. The extra R is a bit naff, but that's only a minor peeve.

I don't think turning Barrett's group face would be wise right now. Barrett built up a strong body of work in character terms over the past few months and it's gonig to take time before the fans would accept him as someone they could live vicriously through or get behind. Gabriel is the first guy out of the group I'd see turning babyface. I'm all for Punk and Barrett getting all in each other's grill though, I love heel vs heel confrontations as it makes a nice change from the usual dynamic.

• Paid Members

I still can't get over 'The Corre' as a name, it's horrendous. Having zero explanation for the spelling error just makes them look like a set of plonkers. The group itself are pretty good, but lose out to New Nexus because they don't have cool t-shirts yet. I'm chuffed Big Zeke is involved, he's the coolest thing about the group and they wouldn't be at all menacing without him. Hopefully The Corre will establish their own identity over the next few shows, so they don't just come across as a bunch of Nexus cast-offs.

I do like the New Nexus, largely because CM Punk is tremendous in the cult leader role. Glad they also have an enforcer in the group now, Mason Ryan is a great addition. I'm glad he got the gig, it means yet another Brit getting a nice little push over there.

Archived