Ricky Gervais pisses off Hollywood

Egg Shen

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Scientology joke was a thinly veiled shot at Tom Cruise...

I thought this was tremendous. And really, no matter if you liked or disliked it... would you expect anything different? It's Ricky Gervais, that's what he does!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Scientology joke was a thinly veiled shot at Tom Cruise...

I thought this was tremendous. And really, no matter if you liked or disliked it... would you expect anything different? It's Ricky Gervais, that's what he does!

honestly it's as if your making out Ricky Gervais to be "edgy" with that comment, imagine if Bill Hicks was still kicking and he gave the Globes a go

The line about Bruce Willis being Ashton Kutcher's dad was superb - especially because it riled Brucie Baby.

All the celebrities who took the moral high-ground and are acting like cunts about this can fuck off, especially Robert Downey Jr. with his whole "hurting people" claptrap.

• Paid Members

honestly it's as if your making out Ricky Gervais to be "edgy" with that comment, imagine if Bill Hicks was still kicking and he gave the Globes a go

Well, it IS a bit edgy - the guy could've laid himself open for a slander lawsuit.

I personally like Gervais, and there was nothing wrong with that speech. It's a refreshing change to have a bit of bite to what would otherwise be stale, light-weight, milk-toast American sitcom, canned laughter shite that's, in the words of RepoMan, "as funny as prolapse". And the people in attendance didn't sound as if they weren't enjoying it, unless they were expected to be much louder. Or was there sound piped in afterwards?

The Scientology joke would be a moment of stunning originality if you were -

a) From a country where the broadcasters were shit scared to wind up the Scientologists and refused to show the South Park episode where R Kelly, in full "Bridget, he was a midget" to Omar mode, sang "in the closet" to Tom and John.

b) Avoided all internet forums at the time.

c) Lacked the internet smarts to find that episode.

Appoint a controversial comic and get controversy (=ca$h). Roll on next year when Frankie Boyle presents and we get a Suri Cruise rape gag, 27M viewers and the internet spontaneously combusts as the world looks at the clip (and pre-ad of course) online.

• Paid Members
It's not so much that the jokes are 'offensive', more that they're completely shit. Then again, it's Ricky Gervais.

Badly delivered, purposely stilted, going for easy targets with broad side jokes. No wit and painfully awkward.

But enough about me, what about Gervais?

The opening monologue was the best I've seen in years at an awards show, possibly ever, if only for the Cruise/Travolta joke. Firstly because it was a brilliant joke, and secondly because it did everything a host of these things needs to do: completely puncture the rampant ego surrounding the show. The show is three hours of pompous Hollywood backslapping, and while I have no real problem with that, the least these stars can do is graciously accept a combined five-to-ten minutes of gentle ribbing.

I also really liked the Bruce Willis intro. He had that brilliant look of someone quietly seething but trying to appear nonchalant. Brilliant.

Oh, and for the record, while I'm a big fan of Gervais' TV work, I don't enjoy his stand-up much at all. This was much better than that.

It's not so much that the jokes are 'offensive', more that they're completely shit. Then again, it's Ricky Gervais.

Badly delivered, purposely stilted, going for easy targets with broad side jokes. No wit and painfully awkward.

But enough about me, what about Gervais?

He was okay*

*By okay I mean dire, his jokes were rubbish, he broke the flow of the show, and not in a funny comedy way, just a rubbish breaking the show way.

He is popular with sub-normals though. Must be the awkward fetish.

• Paid Members
It does surprise me that the Americans keep inviting British comics over to take the piss out of them, then bitch and moan about it afterwards.

Theres never much bitching and moaning really. 24hrs after a show, things are hyped up for their controversy and outrageousness!, then by the weekend its all forgotten and someone else is CONTROVERSIAL~!

Tim Allen might have given Gervais the cold shoulder backstage, but otherwise it'll be business as usual by tomorrow.

Archived