Ricky Gervais pisses off Hollywood

Egg Shen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought Gervais was pretty good, actually. Loved the Tourist gag, and 'the ungrateful Steve Carrell!'.

You want to see painful comedy? Check out De Niro's acceptance speech. That was horrendous. You'd have thought the last ten years would have broken it to De Niro that his talents do not lie in comedy.

I generally like Ricky Gervais, but I do think his criticism of those there was rather incessant (and in several instances, more harsh than funny). If it was a quick, playful jab here and there, he'd probably come across as bantering, but to run down seemingly every person in the room wasn't really in keeping with the ceremony.

If, for instance, Gervais hosted the WWE Hall of Fame, and slagged off all the inductees and wrestlers in the audience, and mocked wrestling as a whole, it'd pretty much go against the entire point of the night.

Both ceremonies are about honouring the ladies and gentlemen being awarded, not taking the piss out of them. But it's really the organiser's fault - they never should have chosen Gervais in the first place.

• Paid Members

Glad we now know Robert De Niros level.

I thought he was hit and miss but he gets respect for saying things that should be said. I hate the phony nature of these award shows, so it's nice to see people put in their place and squirming for being shit or mental.

I generally like Ricky Gervais, but I do think his criticism of those there was rather incessant (and in several instances, more harsh than funny). If it was a quick, playful jab here and there, he'd probably come across as bantering, but to run down seemingly every person in the room wasn't really in keeping with the ceremony.

If, for instance, Gervais hosted the WWE Hall of Fame, and slagged off all the inductees and wrestlers in the audience, and mocked wrestling as a whole, it'd pretty much go against the entire point of the night.

Both ceremonies are about honouring the ladies and gentlemen being awarded, not taking the piss out of them. But it's really the organiser's fault - they never should have chosen Gervais in the first place.

As far as I could tell, they were all playful jabs. That's the point. I don't mean to sound like I'm all "fuck these rich bastards! they deserve what they get!" because I'm not, but these people are so venerated that a few jokes shouldn't be a big deal. The reason you can introduce Bruce Willis as the star of Mercury Rising is because everyone watching knows who he is and what he's famous for. The reason you can bring up Robert Downey's past is because he's past it and he's beloved by everyone. The only people who I think got a raw deal joke-wise were Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but the joke was hilarious and they weren't there anyway.

And it's not the same as someone hosting the WWE Hall of Fame and slagging people off. It's like someone hosting the Slammys and slagging people off, which would be fucking hilarious, if you ask me. I mean, imagine The Rock, Steve Austin or Mick Foley - let's not forget Gervais is a success in the same field as his targets - presenting the Slammys next year and using their time to take the piss out of the current roster. It'd be great. Hell, Cole on NXT proved that much.

But with movies we're talking about an industry that has a world famous televised awards season. The players are celebrated enough. It's not like he was taking shots at up-and-comers or Yeezying up any Taylor Swift's big moment: he was taking light jabs at some grandly successful people experienced enough to brush them off. It shouldn't be a big deal.

This years Oscar hosts are James Franco off of Spiderman and Anne Hatherway off of.....um...........

Anne Hathaway :love:

• Paid Members
I love most of the stuff that Gervais does and this was no exception. He took Hollywood's enormous ego and kicked it around for all to see. Lovely.

+1. Gervais is the man. People are too uptight.

• Paid Members

I liked that. Had this been at a British awards show (say the BAFTAs) they would be laughing, cheering, and applauding at gags about Charlie Harp... I mean Sheen etc. But for some reason, the Americans don't like that.

"He's insulting one of us!"

"Hey, he took our jobs!" (South Park-style)

Archived