Does WWE need more Championships?

Dashing

Does WWE need more Championships?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking back at old PPVs it was great having the Tag Team Titles, IC Title and even the Womens Championship being defneded in a meaningful match/feud and getting the feeling they actually meant something. Now you barely see tag titles on a PPV and even then it is just filler. Unfortunately itll probably be this way as long as there is a brand split. I feel like an idiot saying brand split.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Absolutely not. They need to concentrate on making the titles they currently have mean something again. There are rumours of unifying the two world titles (which I'm all for, I think WWE needs an undisputed champion and always has), then they can focus on making the IC & US titles mean more again. Plus you have the tag titles, which need more credibility (which requires tag teams for a start).

For me, less is more. A world champion, a secondary champion and tag champions are enough for one promotion. Another singles title can be added if there is a roster split (which there is with WWE) or if they have a speciality division (Cruiserweight, hardcore etc).

• Paid Members

An example of making the titles mean something.

How many IC champions can you name from 1988-1994? Probably all of them, pretty easily as well. Because they were title reigns that meant something. Everyone remembers Honky, Perfect, Bret, Razor, Woyah, Rude etc holding the titles.

How about between 1998-2004? Remember Rikishi's title reign? Albert? Test? What about Billy Gunn's reign? And during this time you also had European champions, Hardcore champions, Cruiserweight champions, United States champions, two different sets of tag team champions- so you can imagine how prestigous those titles were.

I can see why some people say 'more titles give other wrestlers something to aim for'. However it means jack if the titles are worthless- more titles generally means less prestige for each of them.

Shawn Stasiak has held the WWE Hardcore Title 15 times. I cannot think of one moment in his WWE career that will live in my memory.

• Paid Members

If they are going to unify the titles as some of these rumour sites are suggesting, then there is possibly room for a singles title such as TV Title, however it would likely be treated with the contempt of the ECW belt, so is it necessary? Like many others on here have already stated overall, no not really. Would I like to seeit happen? Unification of the belts yes please then maybe the WWE can get back to pushing some decent cross brand fueds and then maybe the titles will mean something again. Or at the very least just unify the World titles as there really should only be on main company Champion, then that way it becomes the pinacle of the company rather than the RAWs better than SD!'s version type of arguements.

• Paid Members
Shawn Stasiak has held the WWE Hardcore Title 15 times. I cannot think of one moment in his WWE career that will live in my memory.

The only thing I remember of Stasiak's WWE career was him getting punched by Angle before the milk bath on Raw. That really is it.

But no, no more titles are necessary. They can barely justify keeping the tag titles going, and it took them long enough to bin the Cruiserweight, European and Hardcore titles.

• Paid Members

The only thing I remember of Stasiak's WWE career was him getting punched by Angle before the milk bath on Raw. That really is it.

Funny you mention it, I do remember that part. Didn't he charge at Angle and he sidestepped, with Stasiak knocking himself out clean by charging into the truck? Didn't he have some stupid gimmick at that point where he kept doing that?

• Paid Members

Funny you mention it, I do remember that part. Didn't he charge at Angle and he sidestepped, with Stasiak knocking himself out clean by charging into the truck? Didn't he have some stupid gimmick at that point where he kept doing that?

That's the one. JR remarked, "What an idiot." And that's the last of my Stasiak memories.

Less titles, but the whole title structure needs a definite overhaul (something I'm led to believe has been rumoured).

I reckon the WWE and World Heavyweight titles should be unified with a new design for the new belt (a retake on the "winged eagle" would be great). Lets face it, the main event crowd is so tired and stale, I can't even think of any differences between the two belts now and who feuded over them over the past five years.

If the brands are to remain separate I'd like to see the IC and US belts used as the top title on that brand outside of the Unified belt. Everyone on the roster not involved in the Unified Title picture should be up for it. Remember how each regional champion in the NWA was a contender for the World Title as the champ' toured around? Perhaps some significance could be added through this?

If the brands are combined there would possibly be room for a third title behind a Unified World Title and a Unified IC/US Title, but for lower to mid card guys, perhaps with emphasis on youth or a weight class.

I reckon the WWE and World Heavyweight titles should be unified with a new design for the new belt (a retake on the "winged eagle" would be great). Lets face it, the main event crowd is so tired and stale, I can't even think of any differences between the two belts now and who feuded over them over the past five years.

Is it though?

If you unify the belts, where do people like The Miz, Sheamus, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler at al fit in behind the Cena's, Orton's and HHH's of this world?

They've been making a clear effort to freshen up the main event scene over the past year.

Archived