Does WWE need more Championships?

Dashing

Does WWE need more Championships?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the roster split ended, then the Hardcore or European Title could work well again, but only if they unified both the world titles and the Int'l & US Titles. Having a belt that guys like Primo, Masters, Ryder could fued over could work well.

If they were to do that I think WWE would just lower the US Championship to the 3rd one rather than make and new one or bring back and old one

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the roster split ended, then the Hardcore or European Title could work well again, but only if they unified both the world titles and the Int'l & US Titles. Having a belt that guys like Primo, Masters, Ryder could fued over could work well.

If they were to do that I think WWE would just lower the US Championship to the 3rd one rather than make and new one or bring back and old one

I think the US Title is above that though.

I think the US Title is above that though.

Maybe so but otherwise it would be wiped out altogether.

To lower would be better for WWE because they could still talk about all the people who have held it plus the WWE Fans already know it.

If they made a new or brought an old one back I guess the upside would be they would have a new belt to sell but they could do the same thing just by redesigning the US Championship

As many others have already said, WWE should concentrate on making the current belts seem prestigious and important rather than introducing any more.

• Paid Members

Fuck no. The secondary titles are meaningless. The United States title might as well be on Superstars considering the Superstars-calibre meaningless tag match Bryan was in last week, and the last time someone pursued him with any conviction. As for the Intercontinental title, its just another prop for whatever combination of Ziggler Swagger/Kofi/McIntyre is going on this week.

The problem is the talent is so thin on the ground and the gulf between the presentation of the top guys and the midcard is so huge, that when someone is recognized to be a real star, they are after the World titles or involved in feuds without a title because they are too good to be competing for such a lesser title. Morrison will continue fucking around with Sheamus rather than pursue the US title while he waits patiently for his next WWE title push. Back in the good old days, awesome heels like Del Rio would add the Intercontinental title to the package while the usual suspects contest main events. But these days a talent like Del Rio is "too good" for it.

The man who holds the scondary title tends to be someone held in high regard, but there is hardly ever a chase or qualification for contendership. Bored in the midcard? Beaten a Dudebuster last week? Well done, have a shot at the Intercontinental title. Even in a title switch of a secondary title that was a relatively well-presented one - Danielson beating Miz - the title itself was a mere prop, the real issue was disrespect, Miz' treatment of Danielson on NXT, smarks vs Michael Cole.

But at least they went about things properly with Miz' development - between the SummerSlam "will he be on Team WWE" stuff, winning Money In The Bank and the heat he was getting, Miz was ready for a go at the top when they took the secondary title off him. He became a star while holding the title, so it did make Bryan look good when he beat him.

What's happened with Ziggler is the opposite to me entirely. I'll put aside what I think of Ziggler as a viable main eventer, but having him drop the title to Kingston and then be given a World title shot in the same show. They may as well have run "Ziggler now too good for Intercontinental title" on the screen, Sky Sports News style. Better still, Kofi firmly knows he is still inconsequential enough to be pissing around with Swagger in meaningless Intercontinental title matches.

Not that there is anything that can be done, its symptomatic of the over exposure, the fact everyone gets to wrestle everyone on tv, the gradual change from 4 PPVs a year and hardly any big matches on tv, to where we are now. Then the industry not being what it was in the Attitude Era where you had enough talent to have a great Intercontinental title scene and enough spare to have a European title as well. Arguably just as the women and tag team rosters werent deep enough, neither is the midcard to warrant two belts. If the rosters were reunited and there was only one midcard title to shoot for, your Superstars lads would at least create more fresh match ups with the current mid carders, things would be competitive, and the holder of said title would actually be the creme de la creme of the midcard, and eventually when proven ready, moved up to main events, like only really Miz has managed in the last two or three years.

So, to answer the question, fuck no. Less titles maybe, not more.

There should just be a lot more thought and emphasis focusing on the titles they already have, mainly the IC, Tags and US Belt, before thinking about another belt.

The US Belt should be defended on Superstars every couple of weeks, and if it's not, then the Tag or IC should be or at least something building towards a match the next week where somebody gets a shot. It makes people want to watch 'just incase' they miss something, if it's convincing, not if they're so used to seeing the Tag Champs beat a thrown-together jobber team week after week to ever give a shit.

If that was all sorted out better, then a lower tier singles belt would be great, it would just suck like somebody said earlier if it was only passed around and fought over by the lowest guys solely on Superstars.

I personally think the US Title has a lot of worth right now after Bryan's fantastic run with brilliant matches with Ziggler, Miz and Dibiase. They just need to keep it up with matches with Tyson and build to him defending it at Wrestlemania in a meaningful video packaged match. That's the problem though, WWE more often than not fail to recognise the steam and let it cool off.

As the European Title has been brought up I'm not sure how true it is but I did read somewhere that it was only created to keep the Bulldog happy.

I think it was that he had been promised a singles title run but at the time it wasn't going to get The WWE/F Championship and they had long term plans for the IC Championship with the Austin Rock feud so he wasn't going to get that for quite sometime so they just made the title to keep Bulldog happy and give him his promised title run.

• Paid Members

The belts need an identity. Why would someone want to go for the IC or US title instead of taking their chances and going for the World or Heavyweight? What does being the IC champion signify?

• Paid Members
As the European Title has been brought up I'm not sure how true it is but I did read somewhere that it was only created to keep the Bulldog happy.

Really? Because I'd have thought it made better sense that it was created to capitalize on European popularity, the fact they still drew sell outs whenever they came over compared to domestic business being down. And to create a massive focal point for the (planned) two UK based pay per views, where Bulldog would lose it (in Birmingham) and regain it (in Manchester) and try and make PPV

• Paid Members

The story I heard was that WWF were on its arse domestically, so they brought about the idea of a European title to try and capture a new wave of audience like 1992 when WWF's revenue was taking a pounding in the United States. Smith was about to leave to join WCW in August 1996, but signed a 3 year deal to stop. He was going to be the 5th member of the nWo, but plans changed at the VERY last minute and they decided that the Giant would be the only shocking name on the roster that would have made an impact, so they went with him. Smith couldnt have just left the WWF in 1997, without taking a major financial hit, so I'm certain the WWF wasnt going to play that game with him considering he had all the risks to take if he decided he wanted to leave. He had to buy himself out of his deal to go to WCW in November 1997, and that was out of loyalty to Bret. He was in quite a cushy spot in early 1997 with or without a singles belt. The Euro belt wasnt created to make Smith happy. He was the perfect fit to hold it, considering how popular he was in Europe.

The weird thing was, Vince seemed to always have a liking towards him. He seemed to always have him in his plans, throughout his 1994-1997 run. He was always there or there abouts. Another thing was that, Vince signed Bulldog to a longterm contract while he was in the hospital in 1999. Contrary to what people seemed to throw at the WWE these days, Bulldog was signed up before Owen died. Owen was supposedly with him when they talked over the contract, so it wasnt some media thing to hire Smith to get the Hart Family onside. Hiring Jim Neidhart as one of the developmental heads, well that fucking totally was!

• Paid Members

Every day's a school day. I still have a wrestling mag (Inside Wrestling I believe) from summer 96 saying that Owen had finished up with Vince after SummerSlam. Seems rumours were abound about pretty much everyone at various points.

As previously mentioned by others. The belts mean jack.

Personally feel the LOOK of the belt is important too, the old IC title and the old US title (wcw version) and finally the WWF title (winged eagle), they looked nice something a champion should hold and yes its a another knock at that shitty WWE title, diva's, and tag titles.

• Paid Members

Personally feel the LOOK of the belt is important too, the old IC title and the old US title (wcw version) and finally the WWF title (winged eagle), they looked nice something a champion should hold and yes its a another knock at that shitty WWE title, diva's, and tag titles.

So the belts mean nothing, but the look of the belt means something, even though it means nothing?

So the belts mean nothing, but the look of the belt means something, even though it means nothing?

The look of the belts is one of the (many) things that contributes to their prestige in the eye of the beholder. I get that. That's one of his better posts.

Archived