Best Music based books out there

IANdrewDiceClay

I would recommend the Slash book aswell, it was much better than I thought it'd be. I am a huge GNR/Slash fan though so I guess I was bound to like it. I can't wait to get my hands on Scott Weilands book when its out soonish.

Any idea of the release date? I heard he was writing a book, totally passed me by that hes finished it.

Also, Duff's book is due out later this year. Duff has a fantastic way with words and his weekly online column is highly entertaining, so I'm expecting very good things from his book.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lemmy's is alright, it a little repetitive in places. Can't be helped though, as a significant portion of his life involved getting dropped from a record label, signing with a new one, putting out an album, touring to promote it, shagging a lot of women, and then getting dropped from the record label again. And again. And again.

Offtopic I know, but if the book is repetitive, you should check out the Lemmy documentary that was released a while back. Some good stuff documenting Hawkwind,MH and also Lemster at home. Oh, and a cameo by HHH

• Paid Members
Lemmy's is alright, it a little repetitive in places. Can't be helped though, as a significant portion of his life involved getting dropped from a record label, signing with a new one, putting out an album, touring to promote it, shagging a lot of women, and then getting dropped from the record label again. And again. And again.

Offtopic I know, but if the book is repetitive, you should check out the Lemmy documentary that was released a while back. Some good stuff documenting Hawkwind,MH and also Lemster at home. Oh, and a cameo by HHH

It's not repetitve in a necessarily boring way. It's just that at one point, his life seemed to be on a loop.

• Paid Members
Some of my favorites;

Hickory Wind by Ben Fong Torres is about Gram Parsons and is fantastic!

Things The Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett (singer from the Eels)

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

This one.

I'm also reading Keith Richard's one at the mo.

• Paid Members
The account of Kurt Cobain's suicide by Charles R Cross in "Heavier Than Heaven" is some of the finest comedy you'll ever read.

I was thinking of giving that another go the other day (I haven't read it since it was released). I remember it being alright but I was an idiot teenager then.

Slashs book was entertaining enough.

Star Man.The right Hand man Of Rock And Roll

That cant be right?!? 88 quid for a fucking book? Is it signed? Out of print? Or just a mis-print? Was gonna order it too....but not at that price! :angry:

EDIT : Whoops.....its from the states. Got it ordered for 10 quid! Even still...who's gonna go for that one when there is cheaper on same site....

• Paid Members
Star Man.The right Hand man Of Rock And Roll

That cant be right?!? 88 quid for a fucking book? Is it signed? Out of print? Or just a mis-print? Was gonna order it too....but not at that price! :angry:

EDIT : Whoops.....its from the states. Got it ordered for 10 quid! Even still...who's gonna go for that one when there is cheaper on same site....

Its in the Poundshop, if your interested. Thats where I got my copy. Mind you that was a month ago, so its probably gone now. The books class. Worth a tenner.

Yep, along with everyone else, I'm gonna say 'The Dirt'. Great read. I might pick it up again in the near future thanks to this thread.

Also want to mention Brian Wilson's autobiography 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and Stephen Davis' Led Zeppelin history 'Hammer of the Gods'. Both great reads.

And although it's not a music book, but tipping it's toes into the music (and of course wrestling) industries is Bill Zehme's 'Lost in the Funhouse, The Life and Mind of Andy Kaufman'. As I say, not music, but a great book in a similar vein.

• Paid Members

Slash's book is great.

Inside Out by Nick Mason was enjoyable.

Watch You Bleed (the GNR story) is the best GNR bio.

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis was also good, although a bit repetitive: "I did heroin then I fucked this girl, got off heroin & got in shape by swimming... repeat"

The Real Frank Zappa Book was really insightful.

Wonderland Avenue is amazing.

• Paid Members

I read Mustaine: A Life in Metal when it came out last September. It took only two sittings to get through it, so fast were the pages turning, and that's because it's a really well-written book. I was a Megadeth fan as a teenager, one of those kids with a different Megadeth t-shirt for every day of the week, so I was always going to like it. Accusations of partisanship aside, I think that any fan of the genre would enjoy this, because he really does cover everything that was nothing but hearsay, such as what actually happened with Metallica, from its inception to his unceremonious firing. The 80s were a turbulent decade for Mustaine, and he goes into details of all the hirings and firings that he was infamous for, and acknowledges his own anxieties as he tried to beat the runaway Metallica train.

For fans of heavy music I would think that this would be a great book, currently selling for

Finally, I would recommend "Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground". I don't think you even need to have any familiarity with the black-metal genre to read this, in much the same way as you don't need to believe in ghosts to enjoy watching horror movies. It's an intriguing sociological story, which, around 20 years removed from events, strikes me as much more macabre than it did when I read about events as a teenager in the mid-90s.

Good shout. Completely forgot this.

Archived