Favourite individual Royal Rumble match performances

Sergio Bellend

• Paid Members

Mr.Perfect in 2002, definitely.

I worshipped that man when I was a kid, and after waking the whole house up when he walked down the aisle, my pots were genuinely gone after my initial mark out moment, coz I expected him to get launched out by one of the main players and be made a show of, but fair play to the powers that be (and to Henning for giving it 100%) for giving him that run in the Rumble.

I also loved Diesel's 1994 and 1997 runs in the Rumble.

I know he didn't even last wanking time, but Paul London's elimination by Snitsky in 2005 stuck with me for a long time afterwards, and I'd assume that would go down and be classed as a 'performance' in said match?

I thought parts of Cena's performance in 2003 were a riot, especially when he was knocked senseless and sat in the corner punch drunk.

Austin/Bret in 1997.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Going off on a tangent, but why for ages did they refer to Luke as having the record for the shortest record when it wasnt even the shortest time when that Rumble happened? Warlord, CLEARLY.

Also, why do they say Misterio holds the record at (IIRC) 1 hour 1 minute something, when they announced that Flair had wrestled 62 minutes to win in 1992, and then during 1993 announced that Bob Backlund had surpassed that record?

Why does no one in WWE know their own record, or are they retconning on purpose??

• Paid Members
the 91 one where he is in the rockers and lasts a while bumping like mad.

You have dreamt this. In 1990 he was in for less than a minute and in 1991 he wasn't in it at all. Rockers wrestled the Orients in the opener.

• Paid Members

For exits I love The warlords quick one and London doing something akin to a shooting star of the apron following a clothesline. Taka's 2000 exit was top though, as was Joey Abs head butting the bottom rope, but I digress.

I liked Honky's bit in the 2001 rumble along with Kane's run and the previously mentioned road dogg cling in 2000. I liked how they did the undertaker thing in 02 and then followed it up in 2003 when Maven thought he had done it again before being sent out.

• Paid Members

Some good shouts so far. I think Benoit's 04 performance was an excellent effort on his part. It's not like he didn't do much for an hour either, he always seemed to be doing something and had a lot of energy about him, whether he was bumping, chopping people or going for eliminations. It was a great way to fully announce his arrival as a permanent main event player for the forseeable future and a nice precursor to his World title run.

• Paid Members
It was a great way to fully announce his arrival as a permanent main event player for the forseeable future and a nice precursor to his World title run.

If only. Once he dropped the belt, they dumped him spectacularly. Never mind Chris, seeing him work the opener at Unforgiven 04 made me want to kill somebody's kids.

• Paid Members
It was a great way to fully announce his arrival as a permanent main event player for the forseeable future and a nice precursor to his World title run.

If only. Once he dropped the belt, they dumped him spectacularly. Never mind Chris, seeing him work the opener at Unforgiven 04 made me want to kill somebody's kids.

Indeed, hence why I said the forseeable future. But even by that time at Unforgiven, at least he was up against Evolution who were the main heels at that point, and even then he was still an upper-card presence. Every cloud and all that.

Rick Martel in 1991 was tremendous. Slithered and weaseled out of every attempt to throw him out for what must've been the best part of an hour. As a kid, you were cursing him, but watching it now, it was great stuff.

First one that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Great showing from Martel.

Flair's 92 effort was absolutely epic, matched [if not bettered] by Bobby The Brain Hennan's commentary for the entire match.

He didn't really have any the personality to be in any singles main event story other than "me want title" or "me have title." And he'd already wrestled Triple H a million times so that wasn't particularly viable. But they kept him involved in high-profile stuff via teams and multi-man matches. The following PPV he was one of the title contender options (and the least popular in the fan vote, I think). He was in the main event of Survivor Series and New Year's Revolution. He was in Money in the Bank at WrestleMania and then feuded with the winner, Edge. He was still one of the top players on Raw for the rest of his time on the brand, the robotic, boring cunt.

• Paid Members
London doing something akin to a shooting star of the apron following a clothesline.

He apparently got quite a bit of heat backstage for doing that.

That's gay. It was class, like that odd flip spin thing some people did when they took a clothesline sometime

Oh, what year did HAKU return?, 2001?, that was great too!.

Yeah, that was good as was his little team with Rikishi

Archived