Favourite individual Royal Rumble match performances

Sergio Bellend

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rick Martel in 1991 was tremendous. Slithered and weaseled out of every attempt to throw him out for what must've been the best part of an hour. As a kid, you were cursing him, but watching it now, it was great stuff.

Perfect appearing in 2002 was probably my favourite '00s moment after Michaels returning at Summerslam later that year.

Totally agree with this. What I used to love about the Rumble match was that a lot of the midcarders, who were a lot of the time some of the best workers in the company, got the chance to have a good run in the match and show what they could do. I'm thinking specifically of workers like Perfect, DiBiase and, as said above, Martel in the early 90s. It seems to be built totally around the main eventers now with one or two exceptions. Nowhere near as engaging as it used to be.

Rick Martel in 1991 was tremendous. Slithered and weaseled out of every attempt to throw him out for what must've been the best part of an hour. As a kid, you were cursing him, but watching it now, it was great stuff.

Perfect appearing in 2002 was probably my favourite '00s moment after Michaels returning at Summerslam later that year.

Totally agree with this. What I used to love about the Rumble match was that a lot of the midcarders, who were a lot of the time some of the best workers in the company, got the chance to have a good run in the match and show what they could do. I'm thinking specifically of workers like Perfect, DiBiase and, as said above, Martel in the early 90s. It seems to be built totally around the main eventers now with one or two exceptions. Nowhere near as engaging as it used to be.

THIS. All over. It's slowly died off over the years but yeah it used to be a chance to enhance a great midcard worker and really shine a light on what they could do. 1992 does it so well for a number of guys. Davey Boy had a great run dominating early on and it kickstarted Shawns heel turn as the cocky bastard who just won't get eliminated. Martel was exceptional in '91, glad he's been getting love for that.

Kudos to the poster who praised Bret's post-Rumble rage in 1997, that was some of the most believable stuff I've ever seen too.

Random Rumble Awesomeness:

- BOB BACKLUND coming out in 2000! I rewound that a million times at the time, I found it hilarious and New York popped huge.

- Maven eliminating Taker in 2002. Fuck Maven, but that was pretty sweet.

- Kwang spraying green mist at Rick Steiner in '94, that freaked me out as a kid, I thought Rick was blinded for good!

Archived