Favourite individual Royal Rumble match performances

Sergio Bellend

It's that time of year again, and with the Rumble match around the corner, I was wondering what the UKFF's favourite Rumble match performances are. It can be for any reason obviously.

For me, I'll pick 3.

Firstly, Mr Perfect in 2002. He just got one of those pops you don't hear these days, and 'cos I was only 12 at the time, my main knowledge of him was through that WWF Classics programme that used to be on a Saturday morning so perhaps at the time I didn't appreciate it as much as I do know. He just looked total boss, from milking the entrance for everything, lobbing the towel at Austin, and as a kid I genuinely thought he could win it. Just a shame his run in WWF ended how it did, especially with him dying a year later.

Next, Ric Flair in 1992. I know it's the obvious one to go for, and he was more than used to going 60 minutes but it really was a top effort. Obviously there were other things that added to it-Heenan's commentary, and the fact it was one of the most star-studded Rumbles about, but it's my favourite Rumble match and Flair was in there forever.

Finally for sheer "If i was in the Royal Rumble that's how I'd do it" value, Road Dogg in 2000. He basically spent most of his time in the match under the bottom turnbuckle curled around the ring post. And a quick wikipedia check says he was in there for 19 minutes, and was one of the last out, so it must have worked. Tremendous.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Austin in 1997. He was just on fire and I'll never forget his facial expression when Bret's music hit. I just loved his eliminations of Bart Gunn and Savio Vega and knocking Road Dogg Jesse James off the apron for being a complete jiving twat.

Bret Hart in 1988. I've never heard his performance in this match get any love since everybody talks about his more famous stuff. Bret lasted the longest in the 1st Rumble and pretty much provided the most entertainment. All the hosses were just kicking and punching and gasping for breath and you had Bret putting on some great bits of action. I loved it when the Anvil got in there and they took Jake Roberts head off.

Rick Martel in 1991 was tremendous. Slithered and weaseled out of every attempt to throw him out for what must've been the best part of an hour. As a kid, you were cursing him, but watching it now, it was great stuff.

Perfect appearing in 2002 was probably my favourite '00s moment after Michaels returning at Summerslam later that year.

• Paid Members

There's many for me. What immediately sprung to mind though was Bret and Austin in the '97 Rumble...but then again i get a full nelson over anything involving the two of them together in 1997. In particular though, Brets fury tantrum post-Rumble was some of the most believable shit i've ever seen in wrestling. Nobody quite does getting screwed like Bret Hart.

Kanes dominant Rumble marathon was bags of fun too.

• Paid Members
Bret Hart in 1988. I've never heard his performance in this match get any love since everybody talks about his more famous stuff.

That may be because it wasnt widely available and not many people have tracked it down.

The obvious/boring (yet utterly true) answer everyone will give is Flair, so let's gloss over that. In fact, Bellend, I'd personally have put a caveat in the thread that there's no point any of us mentioning it, as it's been dissected/spaffed over (rightly) in numerous threads past. *

My favourite Rumble performance was actually Shawn Michaels in last year's Rumble - the drama and emotion was an excellent part of an ongoing saga which personally I have to regard as the most compelling WWE storyline in recent memory.

* I say Bellend not to insult, sir, but as it appears to be your login.

• Paid Members
Firstly, Mr Perfect in 2002. He just got one of those pops you don't hear these days, and 'cos I was only 12 at the time, my main knowledge of him was through that WWF Classics programme that used to be on a Saturday morning so perhaps at the time I didn't appreciate it as much as I do know. He just looked total boss, from milking the entrance for everything, lobbing the towel at Austin, and as a kid I genuinely thought he could win it. Just a shame his run in WWF ended how it did, especially with him dying a year later.

Oh man, this all over. I marked like a bitch for one, but he got a massive pop when he came out. But it didn't end there: flipover nick whip- pop. PerfectPlex- MASSIVE pop.

Didn't he follow this up with a decent match VS Angle or RVD? He could've had a real decent renaissance if it wasn't for that plane trip.

One of my other favourites was Michaels in '95. Because he was the first entrant, he was fucked all the way through it- and every now & then found a bit of energy to drag himself up and eliminate someone. And then the infamous skinning-the-cat finish.

Was Lawler in 97 the one where he was commentating, started a sentence, joined the rumble, was promptly eliminated, then rejoined the announce table and finished his sentence?

• Paid Members
Batista last year, particularly when he eliminated HBK.

Agreed on that . I thought that was played so, so well.

While i'm here, may as well add another and that would be Undertaker in 2002. His initial destruction of The Hardys but then his facial expressions after being eliminated by Maven and the following massacre was joyous.

Archived