Jerry Lawler.. go away

Rampage

Is anyone else fed up with Jerry Lawler on Raw? hes having matches and winning over the WWE champion. Hes the most boring guy in history, hes overrated and ive always thought hes been overrated in the ring and on commentary. Josh Matthews is even better than Jerry Lawler and should take his place. Ive literally stopped watching Raw twice now because i dont see why hes getting a push of sorts.

It made Miz look like a bad ass when he beat up the King the next week, but when the King beat the Miz again thanks to Orton it was just overkill. Miz vs Morrison was brilliant and made both look really strong for 2011 and then he goes on to lose against King the next week.... just ruins the push that he is getting.

I just find King bland and boring and the ovation he gets isnt really understandable, he may be a legend but what the majority of that crowd has seen him do isnt that great at all. I say bring back JR exchange him with the King, problem fixed, put King down in OVW so he can learn to care whats going on in the ring.

Rant over...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's definitely not the most boring guy in history. Absolutely not. I could name hundreds that are worse than him.

He is a legend in the industry, and certainly deserves the respect he gets. Yes, he's had far better days as a commentator, and absolutely as an in-ring performer, but it's a testament to his legacy that he is still able to draw today's crowds into his matches. Whether you love him or hate him, there's absolutely no doubt that his performance in the ladder match against The Miz was outstanding, believable, and didn't do any harm to The Miz whatsoever.

There's a huge history of putting up young heel talent against legends, and it's never done any huge damage in the past. Lawler isn't being put over The Miz in a strong way. The focus is still, mostly, on Randy Orton getting one over on him.

It has probably gone on a bit too long now, but the involvement of Lawler has given us some good moments, and it balances out the Cole/Miz love in some ways.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan either. I know a lot of people on here have been impressed with his work lately, and considering his age he has had some decent matches. But that's all. If it were anyone from the regular roster against Miz in that TLC match people wouldn't have been raving about it nearly so much.

His commentary is pretty much white noise these days. He's too much in his comfort zone, and clearly on autopilot most weeks. I'd love to see JR back in his place, working with Heel Cole. The tension would be fantastic. Lawler's worth keeping around on SmackDown! or whatever, because he's a steady hand and half-decent announcers are in short supply, but he really doesn't add much to the product any more.

It's clear they're building towards some sort of Wrestlemania match with Lawler, this whole push began at the beginning of Wrestlemania season. I'm not the biggest fan of Lawler, but he deserves a Wrestlemania match at least. I'd rather see him wrestling than Jimmy Snuka or Sgt Slaughter or even Roddy Piper. He's involved in a high profile way, but he's only getting one crack at Wrestlemania, he should make the most of it.

I can't see it being Miz vs Lawler though... Orton heel turn for Orton vs Lawler?

I don't want him to go away, not at all. He is having better matches than Cena, Orton, Edge, Barrett, Kane, everyone really. I just wish he would put a bit more effort into his commentatry, by being funny again. He proved he could still do it when him and Cena were taking turns in dissing Vickie Guerrero at Christmas.

I can't see it being Miz vs Lawler though... Orton heel turn for Orton vs Lawler?

I think it will be Miz and King, becuase it will fit around Cena winning the Rumble and Miz loosing the title to CM Punk in the Elimination Chamber.

I must be in the small minority who doesn't find Lawler's commentary awful. He's certainly not the best, but I'd prefer to listen to him than Matt Striker, who feels the need to speak every ten seconds.

As for his in-ring work, what are people like Rampage really expecting from a 60+ year old? Of course he's not in his prime, but the work he's put in against the Miz is a lot better than many of the Raw roster. I personally would be happy to see him wrestle a match at wrestlemania, as long as it was the finish to a meaningful feud.

I'm loving the recent push for Lawler, it's richly deserved. The guy is going out and still getting big reactions, whilst putting a decent chunk of the roster to shame with his natural timing and selling ability. I really hope that this is at least continuing to a WrestleMania match, or at the very least an impressive showing in the Royal Rumble. They've got 101 different commentators these days, they could easily do without him on the PPVs for the next few months.

It's not as simple as 'Lawler goes over The Miz' though, is it?

For one, Miz is a heel. He doesn't necessarily need to look dominant all the time.

Plus surely it's the manner of how someone 'goes over' rather than the simple fact.

• Paid Members
It's not as simple as 'Lawler goes over The Miz' though, is it?

For one, Miz is a heel. He doesn't necessarily need to look dominant all the time.

Plus surely it's the manner of how someone 'goes over' rather than the simple fact.

Maybe if it's once, even twice at a push. The entire Lawler/Miz thing should have started and finished with the TLC match. Lawler shouldn't be having constant matches against the WWE champion weeks in a row whether it's in a singles match, a tag match or any other match. He shouldn't be on the winning team every time either.

Lawler is in his 60s and he's been a commentator for almost two decades. No matter how many titles he won in his prime, or how good he is at selling should he ever be the focal point of a WWE title fued for the Royal Rumble.

I wouldn't go so far as the original poster, but from what i've saw of him in recent months and random commentary in matches in recent years, he's nowhere near as interesting now as he was as a heel in the 90s. Most of his stuff cracked me up - like the Hitman feud and slaughtering Stu and Helen - remember that RAW match w/ Bret v Bam Bam and he appeared on the balcony? Even in his feud with Jake Roberts in 1996, whilst maybe a lot of it wasn't in the best taste, he was still great fun. The Summerslam match for example was nothing, but Lawlers pre-match stuff was a hoot.

As a face, like when he was feuding with Raven for example, he was ok, but it wasn't a patch on his heel stuff. I realise that's probably sacrilegious to all the old Memphis diehards who remember him in his prime, but in the WWF, the sneaky, cheat-to-win comedy heel character that he carved out was fantastic. If he could go back to that persona, he'd be great, 60 years old or not.

Even if it was Stone Cold on commentary, they shouldn't have commentators going over the WWE Champion. It doesn't help that Lawler is like 60 and can't go anymore.

My thoughts excatly, it makes Miz look weak and doesn't do any good for the champ.

No matter how many titles he won in his prime, or how good he is at selling should he ever be the focal point of a WWE title fued for the Royal Rumble.

Why not? I doubt most fans give a flying fuck for this unwritten rule so why should the WWE? He is just the right guy right now for The Miz to establish his cocky prick persona with. Not only is The Miz - a Reality TV transplant - disrespecting an old school legend of the ring who has been around the block for decades but Miz's cheerleader for the better part of the past year is the guy sitting next to King each week. The three click and bounce of each other and until Michael Cole saves Miz's ass from getting beat in a 60 minute WrestleMania Iron Man match against Lawler I have no complaint because it makes for good TV. Fans are firmly behind the short term Lawler nostalgia trip and love seeing his hand raised against the slimy, smarmy champion and his jagoff rookie in the context of a tag team match where he is being teamed up with the likes of Orton.

I agree it could be taken to excess but I don't see it getting that bad yet. I would have found it even more implausible if Miz's first duties as champion were to be pushed into constant PPV battles with people who are clearly bigger and better than him with him having to play dirty each time but then I don't exactly agree with the logic of making a highly entertaining midcard attraction the top man in the industry.

My thoughts excatly, it makes Miz look weak and doesn't do any good for the champ.

It hasn't though. There hasn't been any long-term establishing Lawler over The Miz has there?

No one is taking The Miz any less seriously now because of any losses to Lawler because, as far as I can remember, they haven't exactly been clean and dominant.

For what it has been, it's been pretty well booked so far in my opinion.

Its obvious they're building for a Wrestlemania match for Lawler, something he's never had and I wouldn't mind seeing it. There was talk of putting the WWE title on him, even if for a week or two and I wouldn't be opposed to it. Its not like the belt means all that much these days, but it'd be a nice honor for him to have been WWE Champion and get his Mania match.

He's shown in his matches as of late he can still work a good match and bump fairly well. He's a good talker and he can outshine half the WWE roster at his advanced age.

And people complained when Punk was booked as a shit champion, or Rey Mysterio. It happens. The fact The Miz is a heel and can come out and make excuses after excuses no matter what happens means he'll never lose any of his heat through any of this, even if he dropped the title to Lawler and won it back a week or two later.

Archived