Which wrestlers loved/liked working for WCW?

FireBrand

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a good post - you rarely hear of anyone talking glowingly of WCW. As other posters have mentioned, it's probably they had too many bosses over the time period of '89 til Death, too many people who could wrong/screw/job them.

Totally agree with Nash. And Hall too! These guys got more pay, less dates, more TV time, more talk and to be themselves more. There's no way Nash/Hall would be moaning if you asked them early '98 how they felt. If i remember correctly they both got massive payrises in '97 when the NWO was hot, I think around 800K(?) which would only include a handful of house dates.

Didnt there contracts also state that essentially that no new guys could earn more than them. Think Big Show says something to that effect on the Rise and Fall of WCW doc

Yeah, when Bret Hart was signed they immediately received pay rises because nobody other than Hogan could earn more than them. They've also told the story many times that they received pay rises when Vince started running the "Razor and Diesel are returning" angle because Bischoff genuinely feared they were jumping back to the WWF. No idea how much of that is true or how that would have even worked considering they surely had legally binding contracts in place but it does sound like the kind of stupid thing that could have happened in WCW.

• Paid Members
Flair should have loved it. WCW made him 100%.

According to his comments on the Monday Night War DVD, Flair HATED WCW. Is there any truth that he was going to jump ships again to the WWF in 1998?

I've read and heard from a few places that flair hated Bischoff and the general atmosphere of working in WCW

Edit: I don't know about WWF, but he had some legal issues with Bischoff in 98 that kept him of TV for a while.

I think from the responses to the thread I probably look at WCW with a little too much fan attachment, I suspected that there wasn't a great deal of people who would talk about WCW with a great deal of fondness but I hoped at least the icons of the company would be more likely to have had a more positive outlook on the place.

It is daft to think money isn't the driving force, I wouldn't of work for half shops I have done with out a half decent wage and a half decent wage does make you think "This place isn't bad" .

I have been watching WCW from the 1993-1994 era and the last PPV's of 2001 ad yes I am another nameless fan who wishes it was back.

I suspect however one of my favourite wrestlers Mr.Wonderful probably quite liked the place if only to train the Powerplant guys in the "punsihment" method he loves :p

Great feedback guys.

I've read and heard from a few places that flair hated Bischoff and the general atmosphere of working in WCW

It's not surprising that Flair hated it. For the most part he was there from the beginning and it must have been heart breaking to see WCW turn in to the mess that it became.

• Paid Members
This is a good post - you rarely hear of anyone talking glowingly of WCW. As other posters have mentioned, it's probably they had too many bosses over the time period of '89 til Death, too many people who could wrong/screw/job them.

Totally agree with Nash. And Hall too! These guys got more pay, less dates, more TV time, more talk and to be themselves more. There's no way Nash/Hall would be moaning if you asked them early '98 how they felt. If i remember correctly they both got massive payrises in '97 when the NWO was hot, I think around 800K(?) which would only include a handful of house dates.

Didnt there contracts also state that essentially that no new guys could earn more than them. Think Big Show says something to that effect on the Rise and Fall of WCW doc

Yeah, when Bret Hart was signed they immediately received pay rises because nobody other than Hogan could earn more than them. They've also told the story many times that they received pay rises when Vince started running the "Razor and Diesel are returning" angle because Bischoff genuinely feared they were jumping back to the WWF. No idea how much of that is true or how that would have even worked considering they surely had legally binding contracts in place but it does sound like the kind of stupid thing that could have happened in WCW.

It certainly was. According to Nash's shoot they werent actually signed and sealed! (despite the nWo plans), after those skits played they were both dragged in, given a payrise and officially signed.

I remember in Have a nice day Foley mentions not officially signing a contract for his first few months as Mankind, but not locking down Hall and Nash with the nWo storyline pencilled in is insanity.

Yeah. Its also due to how far WCW fell at the end. I doubt Flair would slag off all his WCW tenure. Flair is also one of those guys who knows what side his bread is buttered. So he'll slag off TNA and WCW while in WWE, but as a TNA employee now Im sure he loves them to bits and dismisses WWE.

• Paid Members

I'm assuming we're talking about WCW after it was NWA/WCW? I can't imagine Flair would've hated working for Crockett and the NWA - judging from how his career went during that period, I'd hazard a guess that those were his happiest years, as he was legitimately and unambiguously THE top name, with only a couple of competitors, and with a stable under his "leadership".

• Paid Members
Wasnt Crockett the best man at Flair's wedding? Its always one of the things Scott Steiner uses against him on his Nature Boy rants.

Given how many times Flair's been married, one has to wonder how much value the status of "best man" has. It's sort of like being proud of having fucked Jasmine St. Clair.

I'm assuming we're talking about WCW after it was NWA/WCW? I can't imagine Flair would've hated working for Crockett and the NWA - judging from how his career went during that period, I'd hazard a guess that those were his happiest years, as he was legitimately and unambiguously THE top name, with only a couple of competitors, and with a stable under his "leadership".

I had NWA/WCW in mind when I started the topic but I guess it's more interesting to find out who actually enjoyed working for the company after WCW parted ways with NWA. For me and as much as I love post NWA WCW I did feel there was an ebbing of "prestige" from the performers and the product as time went on.

This could however just be my own personal emotion bull.

• Paid Members

When Bischoff was in charge on is what it's always on about yeah, I can't really think of much talk before that its always just Bichoff and on hate. Mind you he didn't get on with Dusty if i recall right, so must have had some issue when he was in charge (and trying to get him to loose to rick Steiner) or Jim Herd. That said I'm sure he enjoyed being top dog in the 80's hey day.

Archived