Brock Lesnar

jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I've never got the love for the Brock vs Taker at No Mercy, I doubt I'd even put it in the top ten HIAC's. The only thing that puts it above average for me is the gusher that Taker bleeds. The psychology's way off, Lesnar wastes alot of of time working over Takers "Broken" hand, only for it to mean nothing a few minutes later, Undertaker forgets that his hand is supposed to be hurt and throws a millions punches when he's on offence, only remembering to sell his hand every couple of minutes, he manages to Chokeslam with the "broken" hand as well, again with no ill effects. It's basic stuff, something as simple as Taker switching his punching hand could have added alot to it. Also, as with most Lesnar matches (at least for his first year) he didn't realise that wrestling involves some degree of acting, a few more menacing facial expressions wouldn't have gone amiss, as it was he spent alot of the match looking like he was waiting for a bus, rather than being involved in a fight for his life.

Build didn't do it any favours either. "Grrrr you put my wife into a false labour, then framed me with a mistress, then broke my hand, now I'm angry", fucking Heyman.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It boggles my mind on what he would have gone on to have done if he would have stayed with Vince

Move down the card?, feud with Big Show/Angle/Taker for another year?, there really wasn't much left to do outside of a move to Raw, and a feud with HHH. That's the downside to pushing someone so strongly, the only way to go was down, and given that his first pushes to the top weren't exactly moneyspinners, I doubt the 3rd/4th/5th and 6th times would really make much difference.

I've never got the love for the Brock vs Taker at No Mercy, I doubt I'd even put it in the top ten HIAC's. The only thing that puts it above average for me is the gusher that Taker bleeds. The psychology's way off, Lesnar wastes alot of of time working over Takers "Broken" hand, only for it to mean nothing a few minutes later, Undertaker forgets that his hand is supposed to be hurt and throws a millions punches when he's on offence, only remembering to sell his hand every couple of minutes, he manages to Chokeslam with the "broken" hand as well, again with no ill effects. It's basic stuff, something as simple as Taker switching his punching hand could have added alot to it. Also, as with most Lesnar matches (at least for his first year) he didn't realise that wrestling involves some degree of acting, a few more menacing facial expressions wouldn't have gone amiss, as it was he spent alot of the match looking like he was waiting for a bus, rather than being involved in a fight for his life.

Build didn't do it any favours either. "Grrrr you put my wife into a false labour, then framed me with a mistress, then broke my hand, now I'm angry", fucking Heyman.

Agree with you on a lot of stuff, but not this. It's probably my favourite cell match ever, and I wasn't even a particular fan of Brock before it. Although he'd won the title a couple of months before, it was this one that convinced me he was a legitimate star, as opposed to just someone benefiting from a superman push. Little things like wiping the bloody cast on his chest after tearing it off Taker's hand, and especially the 'King Kong' climb up the cell afterwards - intangible stuff, but the difference between a world champion (like Swagger and Sheamus were) and a star (like Cena and Orton are). It took Cena and Orton years of being pushed to develop that sort of star quality, and Lesnar had it down in his first year. It was classic heel stuff, which makes it even harder to believe that they turned him face the very next month.

I think the fact they managed to put together a match with such an epic feel (IMO) despite such a shit buildup is also to their credit. The Tombstone reversal into the F5 remains one of the best finishes I've ever seen, too.

It boggles my mind on what he would have gone on to have done if he would have stayed with Vince

Move down the card?, feud with Big Show/Angle/Taker for another year?, there really wasn't much left to do outside of a move to Raw, and a feud with HHH. That's the downside to pushing someone so strongly, the only way to go was down, and given that his first pushes to the top weren't exactly moneyspinners, I doubt the 3rd/4th/5th and 6th times would really make much difference.

Oh I know if he would have stayed in 2004, for that year at least for a while he would be going over old ground, its more after that into 2005 and onwards I was wondering about

While he wasnt that great at the box office I honestly think the way he was improving he would have become a massive draw, not to the extent of Rock or Austin but still, Lesnar when he left had improved in and out the ring at a tremendous rate

Lesnar had "it" its hard to explain, when Cena said he was "the baddest man on the planet" I laughed this week, with Brock Lesnar you could believe it when he said it, remember Lesnar doing the maranuchy dance, I honestly havent seen Randy Orton do anything that entertaining in his career

Plus whilst Lesnar was pretty white meat as a face he was nowhere near the bore Randy Orton is as a face at the moment

Even if he wouldnt have progressed at the box office like I think he would, still I would have loved to see him feud with the likes of Barista, Edge and Punk

Didnt Lesnar piss off Undertaker with his celebration on top of the cell? I'd heard Brock did it as a "fuck you" to Taker for refusing to put him over at the previous PPV.

Took me a while to warm to Brock, but he came on so quickly, and by the time he left he was outstanding. The original posters link- the skit with the Mariachi was utter class, and all the way through the Guerrero build up and match Brock was sensational. "Die Eddie"

• Paid Members

I'd acutally agree with a lot of this, but it doesnt change the awesome imagery at the end of the PPV, like I said earlier, of him standing on top of the cell, holding the title, with a crazed look on his face, with a bloodied and battered Undertaker laying motionless in the ring.

Cant believe no one has mentioned his victory over Hogan. Not many have victories over 'Hulk' and to be honest no one went over Hogan like Lesnar. Lesnar looked an absolute monster that night and made Hogan look weak and fragile. The ending with Hogan coughing up blood and unconscious (with lesnar smearing Hogan's blood over himself) leaves a lasting memory. For me this was the match that legitamised Lesnar

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the Wrestlemania 19 main event. Full credit has to go to both Brock and Angle there, Angle for being able to make it through the match despite his neck issues and Brock for being careful with him to help him get through it. It's a top match in its own right, but when you consider Angle's issues (he also tore his hamstring about a minute in if I recall correctly) it just makes it even more astounding. Apart from Brock's fucked up SSP of course. But even then, with stars in his eyes, he still managed to hit the F5 and finish the match off.

• Paid Members

Where do I start:

-His initial run-ins, especially destroying Spike Dudley

-Wiping Hulk Hogan's blood across his chest after squeezing the life out of him

-Beating The Rock at Summerslam to become WWE Champion, excellent match

-HITC VS Taker at No Mercy. Probably my favourite cell match, plus Heyman on top form

-Teasing the Angle feud- which I wanted to see since he debut- late 2002

-Headlining Wrestlemania, and THAT shooting star press

-The collapsing ring spot VS Big Show

-Diving into the ring from the forklift VS Big Show in a stretcher match

-Iron man match VS Angle

-Making Benoit tap out with the 'Brock Lock' after an excellent match

-Taking the piss out of Mexicans on Smackdown before No Way Out

-Losing to Eddie at No Way Out, great match

-Taking the piss out of Goldberg by mimmicking his 'snarl' during their poor match at Mania 20

And there's some cracking filler in between all these moments too. I loved Brock :wub:

• Paid Members

I reckon Lesnar's defining moment for me was the Eddy build and match, because unlike anything he'd assembled with past masters of the main event scene - Rock, Taker, Angle - it proved that Lesnar could be part of a story that created intrigue and emotional interest in establishing someone else. After the non-event of the Chavo feud, the four weeks working towards Lesnar rehabilitated Eddy, pun intended, but Lesnar had to be there for Eddy in the match itself, and be there he was. He showed that not only was he a star, but he could give someone else that last push to the top tier.

Move down the card?, feud with Big Show/Angle/Taker for another year?, there really wasn't much left to do outside of a move to Raw, and a feud with HHH.

A run with Batista, a run with Orton, a run with Shawn Michaels, a run with new main eventer Cena, a run with on-his-way-to-main-events Edge, possible fresh PPV bouts with Rey or Benoit, turn him face and put him against JBL and Umaga, leave him heel and pit him against the returned Jeff Hardy, then Lashley... OK, I've only got into 2007 and I'm already bored of the matches that the years to come could have featured for Brock.

Only difference is by summer 2008 we'd have been sick of "HHH, Cena, Orton, Batista AND BROCK have wrestled each other too many times" blah blah blah.

I remember that Benoit match with the Brock-Lock finish, it was fantastic. Possibly his 'artistic' peak. The Rock, Hogan and Guerrero matches define him though.

Though I loved all his matches with Angle at the time and haven't been back to watch them again recently (I don't do that kind of thing anymore) I don't think I'd enjoy them very much now. The WM19 match is only remarkable for the real-life circumstances surrounding it, which is a bit too 'behind the curtain' for me.

Cant believe no one has mentioned his victory over Hogan. Not many have victories over 'Hulk' and to be honest no one went over Hogan like Lesnar. Lesnar looked an absolute monster that night and made Hogan look weak and fragile. The ending with Hogan coughing up blood and unconscious (with lesnar smearing Hogan's blood over himself) leaves a lasting memory. For me this was the match that legitamised Lesnar

That was THE moment of his career. He looked like the end of days in that match. An incredible sight. For all that people complain about Hogan's antics, when he decides to put someone over, he puts them fucking over.

Archived