Sign in to follow this  
Murtz

What's your Watch?

Cheers for coming back on that. I'm trying to understand if they're more a gimmick watch. How do the feel? Robust , Solid? That LED one looks fantastic in the pictures. I generally wear a £50 G Shock. Which does what it says on the tin. It's not showy and I'm not afraid of it getting damaged.  Is that something I'd need to be wary of with a Tokyo flash one?

I have other dress watches and a Fitbit Blaze. I've not been impressed by the Fitbit. It has pretty much fallen apart. It's not like I've been rough with either.

The Tissot is my favourite to wear when going out.

15906935590546479749022529021259.jpg

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Cheers for coming back on that. I'm trying to understand if they're more a gimmick watch. How do the feel? Robust , Solid? That LED one looks fantastic in the pictures. I generally wear a £50 G Shock. Which does what it says on the tin. It's not showy and I'm not afraid of it getting damaged.  Is that something I'd need to be wary of with a Tokyo flash one?

I have other dress watches and a Fitbit Blaze. I've not been impressed by the Fitbit. It has pretty much fallen apart. It's not like I've been rough with either.

The Tissot is my favourite to wear when going out.

15906935590546479749022529021259.jpg

I think you need a second watch holder....but a nice problem to have! Nice Tissot....I've been considering buying a Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic 80, a nice heritage line from a heritage brand & a cool movement. 

Thanks. Yes my watch holder needs to grow. The Tissot was a wedding present from my in laws. They chose well. I do like a chronograph watch face. Although I'm never quite sure how they work. 

I'm a fan of TGV's channel. This video in particular is great for anyone looking to buy their first entry-level proper mechanical watch. Most of these are under £150, some under £100. 

People still wear watches in 2020? Complete waste of money, just look at the microwave or your VHS recorder if you're bothered about what time it is. 

How indicative of quality in a mechanical watch is the date function? Most watches I come across. The date can only be adjusted by winding the whole mechanism through a 24hr cycle. I do remember being able to pull out the winder one notch to adjust just the date on a watch a number of years ago. Always thought that was a cool and desirable feature. Haven't found a watch that does that since. Pulling it out a further notch adjusted the time.

Edited by BigJag

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

How indicative of quality in a mechanical watch is the date function? Most watches I come across. The date can only be adjusted by winding the whole mechanism through a 24hr cycle. I do remember being able to pull out the winder one notch to adjust just the date on a watch a number of years ago. As lways thought that was a cool and desirable feature. Haven't found a watch that does that since. TyPulling it out a further notch adjusted the time.

All of my mechanical watches have this feature - no need to cycle continiously through a 24 hour cycle, I just pull out the crown an extra notch to adjust the date.This feature is called quickset, so look for that when selecting a watch.

It's not a feature reserved for expensive watches. My Bambino cost £100 and has quickset. Also take a look at the Mako II Diver - priced starting at £125. Looks amazing and also has quickset for both day and date - that feature is demonstrated in this video, although this guy has a Spanish version of the watch for some reason:

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Is there a reason why quickest not a standard feature across all mechanical watches? 

No idea.  Sorry

No worries. I'll have to look out for that quickset feature in the future. 

Anyone have an opinion on Casio G Shocks?

I'm on the lookout for one of these

It's much nicer than the one that is actually an official commemorative Transformers piece.

Edited by BigJag

10 hours ago, BigJag said:

No worries. I'll have to look out for that quickset feature in the future. 

Anyone have an opinion on Casio G Shocks?

I'm on the lookout for one of these

It's much nicer than the one that is actually an official commemorative Transformers piece.

G-Shocks have been going for nearly 40 years! @BigJag - if you want to know more about them, then TGV at Urban Gentry did a whole video on the line and its history at this link.

https://youtu.be/GgOyag3Ukow

Edited by MPDTT

On 5/29/2020 at 6:46 PM, Guy Bifkin said:

People still wear watches in 2020? Complete waste of money, just look at the microwave or your VHS recorder if you're bothered about what time it is. 

Absolutely!

I totally understand why the Apple Watch now out sells all Swiss watches combined, but for many men, horology enthusiasts or fashionistas, watches are a key part of their attire - no matter the cost of the timepiece.

There is an art to, and significant legacy of horology. While we can all tell the time by pulling our phones out of our pockets, watches give many people a lot of joy. There remains a huge market out there for traditional watches. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

You've woo'd me MPDTT.

Seriously, the problem is you buy a 'gateway' mechanical watch like a Seiko 5 or an Orient Mako II for £100....then it ends up becoming an expensive hobby when you get the bug!