GPW: "Back With A Bang 2011" Feb 4th, Wigan

Mr. Noble

• Paid Members

From a purely selfish point of view, I think the date change for the May event (meaning no clash with NOAH UK) is great news.

At first, I wondered why they were even considering it. The two promotions are aiming at completely different audiences (NOAH going for the hardcore, "smarter" wrestling fan, whereas GOW goes for the local families) and I could only imagine it would cause a decision for maybe 15-20 fans at most.

Then I realised that that would be about

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be Back With A Bang - tomorrow!!

To get you in the mood for another year of GPW action, Part 1 of our "Guts & Glory" blog from November 2010 is now online! Read about how the show was booked, dealings with the venue and much more!

Part 2 will be up later tonight!

We'll be dedicating tomorrows show to the memory of Damien Grose.

Damo, part of the SLAM crew who provide our ring passed away last week. He has been present at every single GPW show since 2005 and has been an essential part of the team. Without him, shows wouldn't have been possible. A classic example of someone who fans never see, but without - we wouldn't have a show.

He'll be missed by all who knew him and Friday will be done with him in our hearts and minds.

All VIP pre-sales are gone! Take your chances in the "other" queue!

As promised, Part 2 of the "Guts & Glory" blog is now online and in it is a look back to our 2004 "Hostile Takeover" show where, after years, I set the record straight on what really happened... also, find out why "Guts & Glory" nearly never happened...,

http://www.gpwblog.posterous.com

Tomorrow night will be BIG! Don't miss out!

quick results

Money in the Bank match

Martin Kirby Def. Jiggy Walker, Cameron Kraze, Jack Gallagher, Danny Hope and Dylan Roberts

Fox Carter Def. Professor Mike Holmes

North West Rookie League

Axl Rage & JD Sasoon Def. The Great Suzuki & Action Jackson. Jackson is eliminated from his team

William Gaylord Def. El Ligero. interference from Bubblegum

Paradise Lost Def. Vitamin C, following match, Heresy admits he and Kastor LaVey pushed Miss North West (September show), RJM storms the ring, then makes out with Rebecca Jayne

GPW British Title

Zack Diamond Def. CJ banks to retain, towards the end of the match, Banks provoked a fan with a cane and called him a "Cripple"

Bruce Shelia does raffle, makes fun of Danny Hope

Main Event

Bubblegum Def. Joey Hayes. interference from Dirk feelgood, Ligero runs in saves Joey from beatdown

• Paid Members

So, having made the trip up to this one, was it worth it? Well... mostly, yeah.

Martin Kirby pinned Cameron Kraze in the six-man Money in the Bank opener in 10:23 - I was expecting a bit more from this. The Money in the Bank billing for the match and being the opener on a show called "Back With A Bang!", I envisioned a bit more of the spectacular, and it seemed a bit short as well. What was there was solid, and Kirby should potentially be set up for the year as the winner. You have to wonder if "Hindley's Own" GPW fanbase will still be behind Kirby by the time his cash-in has occurred...

Fox Carter pins Prof. Mike Holmes with a bridging DDT out of the corner in just 4:43 - More or less a squash here, which would have worked better as a comedown match if the opener had been as spectacular as I'd thought. Carter has a good physique...

JD Sassoon and Axl Rage bt Great Suzuki and Action Jackson in 7:13 - NXT-style gimmickry comes to the North-West scene. I see the motivation and idea behind the North West Rookie League, but some of the gimmicks look amateur and there were a couple of spots that didn't work out well at all. Rage pinned Jackson, so Jackson is eliminated from the North West Rookie League. I wonder if this will continue at XWA on the 19th and/or FutureShock at the end of the month, not that I am likely to make either of those shows.

William Gaylord pinned El Ligero with a fisherman suplex at 11:08 to become #1 contender to the GPW Heavyweight Title, though not until after Bubblegum interfered to break up the C4L - The best match on the show so far. I'm not sure Gaylord's gimmick is #1 contender worthy, but as DDL's first defence on March 4th it should be fun. Obviously there's much to come in the Ligero vs MasterPlan story, and the focus was on that really.

Paradise Lost bt Vitamin C with a double team bridging DDT in just 4:20 to open the second half - Another squash, but really the post-match angle where RJM saved Rebecca Jayne from Paradise Lost was the story here. That got over nicely.

Zack Diamond bt 'The Juice' CJ Banks to retain the GPW British Title with a rollup in 14:53 - The best action of the night came in this one, and for the only time on the show the payoff was all here. Diamond seems pretty good, one to watch if I make it to GPW as often as I'd like this year. Banks was, as usual, excellent, I wish I saw him wrestle down south more often. The muppet :p

Bubblegum beat Joey Hayes in 14:16 after Dirk Feelgood ran in when the ref was down and blasted Joey with his cast - Much like the opener, I'd have liked an extra five minutes tacked onto this one. Evil 'Gum is a good character, if not quite as spectacular as, say, a Rockstar Spud. Joey's fire is excellent. I was kinda expecting a finish involving some kind of interference, so wasn't too disappointed when that was what I got. You'd think Bubblegum and Dirk vs Joey and Ligero will be set up for next month, a match which is certainly good looking on paper.

Overall, I enjoyed 'Back With A Bang!", but it felt a bit too centered around setting up what's to come and could have used one more reason for fans to cheer. Maybe Kirby's MITB victory would have been it, though, had the match been a bit longer. Not being able to make the April show, I am going to really have to work hard to make the March show do-able to make my attendance here more worthwhile perhaps. Still, a good effort with solid in-ring performances in all the key matches.

• Paid Members

A very enjoyable, solid start to the new season from GPW, leaving plenty to get excited about seeing over the upcoming months. Best matches were Juice/Diamond, Bubblegum/Hayes and Ligero/Gaylord, while I thought the NWRL was embarrassingly bad.

I can see what Gadgetman (who I attended the show with) means in his post above - GPW is very story-heavy and to get the most out of it you do need to invest in them as they build up over the months. If you are only able to get to a single one-off show every now and then (and Gadget, seeing as though he lives near BRIGHTON on the south coast, definitely fits into that category) I see how it can be frustrating to see plenty of build and not much payoff. Having said that, GPW is not aimed at the travelling fan, it is aimed at the local repeat audience.... and there's always the DVDs...

Full review to come in the next day or so, but I'll be there in March for sure to see the next chapter.

Archived