Ten Years Ago Today

Boon Town Rat

• Paid Members
Overrated.

What an amazing contribution you've made to elevate this discourse. Well done. Incisive and thought provoking as always 300. I'm sure that will spark much frenzied debate on the many implications of your post, and the many layers of your argument.

What! I'm just telling the truth.

Care to tell us why you think it's over-rated. Rated compared to what? How you think it could have improved? Any more insight into your opinion.

Cos at the minute, and I'm not the greatest poster on here by a long shot but, it's a shit one word post.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe it's been 10 years already. Anniversary of the death of WCW will follow in March. It feels unbelievable how much wrestling has changed in the last 10 years. In some ways anyway, TNA is still doing what WCW did in 2000. That said, I suppose the difference between 1991 and 2001 was light years so it's not changed that much.

That's the thing with wrestling now, I think. It's not that it's particularly worse than it was, it's that it hasn't evolved and that formula that was so fresh in 1998 isn't in [well, anytime from 2002]. 2001 wrestling was almost unrecognisable from 1991 wrestling. 2011 wrestling is the same as 2001 wrestling except the WWE entranceway is fancier.

Good post

I had a conversation with a friend recently about this, its scary how much wrestling changed from 1995 to 1997 yet if you compare wrestling in 2001 to now like you stated it really hasnt changed that much

• Paid Members
how many of you actually watched ECW in its day? if half the people who say they watched ECW actually did they would not of gone out of business

It's true that a lot of people like to claim that they were fans back in the day when they weren't. That said, even if everyone on the forum was a fan back then, we wouldn't have affected their business one jot watching copied tapes and reading about it in Powerslam.

I discovered ECW in 1997 when I discovered Powerslam. I didn't see a show until Guilty As Charged 1999 was released on video over here.

I got into ECW in about 1996 from reading fanzines and PS, then ordering tapes through Rob Butcher then Glen Radford. First show I ordered was A Matter Of Respect '96. Still one of my favourite shows ever of theirs.

I managed to see them live in 2000 twice in a couple of months as I was touring the USA. First in their Dallas debut show then later at the Arena. The Arena show was awesome. Tajiri Vs Psychosis (for the first time ever) and a main event of RVD and Kid Kash Vrs Rhino and Justin. Cracking match, though Credible nearly broke his neck taking a 'rana from Kash off of RVD's shoulders. The atmosphere in that Philly sweatbox in the middle of summer was unlike any show I've ever been to. Unbelievable! Dreamer and CW Anderson brawled right up the bleachers to where I was sitting and literally fought in front of me for the TV cameras for a few minutes. Couldn't believe my luck considering we were right at the back of the hall!

Anyway, I'm blabbing on....

I miss you ECW, you were great.

Thing is what could you possibly do that would push wrestling further than what ECW and the Attitude era did? you cant really, because wrestling has become like any other TV show, thats like trying to come up with new ideas for Eastenders or something.

As for the next Ten years fuck knows, I already care very little about it, certainly Cena will have run his course, maybe a heel turn at some point might keep him up there, TripleH and Stephanie will probably be running most of WWE.

I just dont see much change, WWE will just carry as it is, with people going and new guys coming and so on.

• Paid Members
how many of you actually watched ECW in its day? if half the people who say they watched ECW actually did they would not of gone out of business

I was a late comer to ECW, getting into at the start of 2000. I hadn't discovered tape trading yet so I bought the VHS tapes from HMV, for usually around 17-18 quid a pop.

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. Anniversary of the death of WCW will follow in March. It feels unbelievable how much wrestling has changed in the last 10 years.

Reading that I was going to come in here disagree with this, until I read the next bit...

In some ways anyway, TNA is still doing what WCW did in 2000. That said, I suppose the difference between 1991 and 2001 was light years so it's not changed that much.

Definitely. The difference between 1981 and 1991 is probably even bigger, not just the States but Japan and over here as well.

I don't think WWE has changed that much over the last decade. The format for the TV shows seems the same, the outfits are the same, the storylines are similar, even the layout of arenas is similar. Whereas you watch and compare an episode of Superstars in 1993 to an episode of SmackDown! in 2003 (the respective B Shows) and the difference in all those things is massive. Occasionally you'll get something that will get people talking about Raw (or whatever show) talking like the move from Spike TV back to USA Network or going PG and how those things will effect the product but for the most part it's still the same formula just with different names.

I wonder where it'll be in 10 more years. I doubt I'll care.

I think a lot depends on who is running WWE at that point. They're the clear market leaders by such a large margin that whoever takes over from Vince is going to have a massive, massive task on their hands.

I always thought Scott Hall was in with them when they folded. Guess it must've been a few months earlier.

Give or take a day or two, it's also about 20 years since the barber Shop incident, at least when it aired anyway.

19 years. It was January 1992.

Fuck, you're right, i stand corrected. Still, crazy to think it's been so long though.

But it will however be twenty years ago from Jannetty's (excellent) performance against The Orient Express at Royal Rumble '91 in six days. :thumbsup:

Thing is what could you possibly do that would push wrestling further than what ECW and the Attitude era did? you cant really, because wrestling has become like any other TV show, thats like trying to come up with new ideas for Eastenders or something.

This is largely true, but wrestling has a much more limited scope than Eastenders. Soaps are extremely broad and often rely on the same old tropes and archetypes, but they're still about a billion times more nuanced and versatile than wrestling. There's a lot more new ground to mine within the formula of a programme about people living in an area of London than there is in a programme about big muscly lads pretending to fight in three weeks on pay-per-view. That's why I think wrestling is more dependent on innovation than something like Eastenders.

We still get new characters, some better than the ones from our heyday. Some matches now are worthy of more snowflakes than the matches eleven or twelve years ago. But it's hard for wrestling on the whole to compare now to that feeling back in the day when everything felt new every week.

• Paid Members
A couple of posts on here makes me realise how little the wrestling scene has changed over the past 10 years. When you compare 1981 & 1991, and then as someone suggested 1991 & 2001, there is such a large difference in most departments (style, direction, presention & production etc). In comparison to those two examples, wrestling has changed little over the past 10 years.

Who were Sten Lee & Prodigy? Don't think I've ever heard of them before.

The Prodigy was Tom Marquez If I remember right, one of those people who would just hang about and open in the closing days, like Bill Whiles and the like. I have the last two shows on DVD, they are alright to watch for what they are. Sandman also calls stuff really fucking loud at one of the two shows.

I only got into wrestling in 2000, and found ECW a couple of years latter when some of the old Hardcore TV DVD's were in MVC and they had cactus jack on them, but damn did I pick up the old tapes quick after that.

Archived