Ten Years Ago Today

Boon Town Rat

Extreme Championship Wrestling promoted its very last show in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. A company that change the sport closed it doors after failing to find a television outlet to promote there show and being run poorly financially. The final card...

January 13, 2001 in Pine Bluff, AR

Convention Center drawing 1,300

1. Michael Shane beat Stan Lee.

2. Prodigy beat Nova.

3. Christian York & Joey Matthews beat Guido Maritato & Tony Mamaluke.

4. Jack Victory beat CW Anderson in a "street fight" match.

5. Yoshihiro Tajiri beat Super Crazy.

6. ECW Heavyweight and Television Champion Rhino pinned Spike Dudley.

7. Tommy Dreamer & Danny Doring beat Julio Dinero & EZ Money.

8. Justin Credible beat Sandman.

9. Sandman beat Justin Credible in a "hardcore" match.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Overrated.

Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. Anniversary of the death of WCW will follow in March. It feels unbelievable how much wrestling has changed in the last 10 years. In some ways anyway, TNA is still doing what WCW did in 2000. That said, I suppose the difference between 1991 and 2001 was light years so it's not changed that much. I wonder where it'll be in 10 more years. I doubt I'll care.

• Paid Members
Overrated.

What an amazing contribution you've made to elevate this discourse. Well done. Incisive and thought provoking as always 300. I'm sure that will spark much frenzied debate on the many implications of your post, and the many layers of your argument.

The way they had an in-ring beer bash after the main event made it seem like they were saying farewell to the fans, knowing that was the end.

But then interviews I've seen with various people who were on the card that night all say the first they heard that ECW was finished was when Heyman appeared on Raw as a commentator in mid-February.

So they obviously knew it was almost the end, but nobody knew there would be no more shows.

The York & Matthews vs F.B.I. match was pretty good iirc.

It's a real shame that they didn't have time to prepare a Last Ever Show.

If they could have just hung on until the Living Dangerously ppv which was planned for March, if they could have spent 2 months promoting the final ECW show it could potentially have been a huge deal.

Overrated.

What an amazing contribution you've made to elevate this discourse. Well done. Incisive and thought provoking as always 300. I'm sure that will spark much frenzied debate on the many implications of your post, and the many layers of your argument.

What! I'm just telling the truth.

I just tweeted Tommy Dreamer (@THETOMMYDREAMER) about this asking if he had any memories of that night, and he replied: It was a great show. We didn't have confirmation it was the last.

Nothing we didn't already know, but fair play to the guy for replying. :thumbsup:

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. Anniversary of the death of WCW will follow in March. It feels unbelievable how much wrestling has changed in the last 10 years. In some ways anyway, TNA is still doing what WCW did in 2000. That said, I suppose the difference between 1991 and 2001 was light years so it's not changed that much.

That's the thing with wrestling now, I think. It's not that it's particularly worse than it was, it's that it hasn't evolved and that formula that was so fresh in 1998 isn't in [well, anytime from 2002]. 2001 wrestling was almost unrecognisable from 1991 wrestling. 2011 wrestling is the same as 2001 wrestling except the WWE entranceway is fancier.

I always thought Scott Hall was in with them when they folded. Guess it must've been a few months earlier.

Give or take a day or two, it's also about 20 years since the barber Shop incident, at least when it aired anyway.

19 years. It was January 1992.

Fuck, you're right, i stand corrected. Still, crazy to think it's been so long though.

• Paid Members

A couple of posts on here makes me realise how little the wrestling scene has changed over the past 10 years. When you compare 1981 & 1991, and then as someone suggested 1991 & 2001, there is such a large difference in most departments (style, direction, presention & production etc). In comparison to those two examples, wrestling has changed little over the past 10 years.

Who were Sten Lee & Prodigy? Don't think I've ever heard of them before.

• Paid Members
Overrated.

What! I'm just telling the truth.

While I agree in some aspects, never say the "truth" on what is an opinion (and a Shit one as you have used one word). It makes you look like a cunt.

Archived