A former World Champion returns to TNA

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yeah, the way they booked possibly the best debut of the decade and had their #1 heel run scared of him for 2 months was a total burial. And the way they booked him in another PPV main event the month after he and HHH had one of the worst main event matches of all time was also a burial. Of course, none of it was Scotty's fault at all.

You mean the way he came out to a huge pop then got stuck straight into the main event with HHH, despite the fact he wasn't match fit, still recovering from 'drop foot sydrome' after barely being able to work on the WWA tour. Surely it would've made sense to let him run through a bunch of jobbers, get into ring shape, establish his finisher (Steiner Recliner) so the WWE audience didn't just think it was a reverse chin lock. Building to a match with HHH, where Steiner's fit & the crowd know how to respond to his moves?

Or post that when he was marketed as 'all American' Scott & put into public debates with Chris Nowinski? Everyone just wanted Steiner to come out, kick the sh!t out of people, say his catch phrases & beast into women. That's what got him over in WCW & they should've run with it in WWE. As seen by his TNA run, when he's fit he's still capable of good matches now. Why rush him into a programme with HHH when he's barely capable of working a 15 minute match when they could've taken their time, established him, let him get fit & earn some long term cash off him?

• Paid Members
Yeah, the way they booked possibly the best debut of the decade and had their #1 heel run scared of him for 2 months was a total burial. And the way they booked him in another PPV main event the month after he and HHH had one of the worst main event matches of all time was also a burial. Of course, none of it was Scotty's fault at all.

You mean the way he came out to a huge pop then got stuck straight into the main event with HHH, despite the fact he wasn't match fit, still recovering from 'drop foot sydrome' after barely being able to work on the WWA tour. Surely it would've made sense to let him run through a bunch of jobbers, get into ring shape, establish his finisher (Steiner Recliner) so the WWE audience didn't just think it was a reverse chin lock. Building to a match with HHH, where Steiner's fit & the crowd know how to respond to his moves?

Or post that when he was marketed as 'all American' Scott & put into public debates with Chris Nowinski? Everyone just wanted Steiner to come out, kick the sh!t out of people, say his catch phrases & beast into women. That's what got him over in WCW & they should've run with it in WWE. As seen by his TNA run, when he's fit he's still capable of good matches now. Why rush him into a programme with HHH when he's barely capable of working a 15 minute match when they could've taken their time, established him, let him get fit & earn some long term cash off him?

Spot. Fucking. On.

Fucking yes.

Clearly, this is great news. Steiner was possibly the best thing about TNA through the dark, joyless MEM era, and worked miracles last year with a disinterested Bobby Lashley. I don't know how he does it, but he keeps going and keeps putting together entertaining matches.

Selfishly, I'd love to see some reruns of his Angle and Joe feuds, but also...

Scott Steiner v Mr Anderson

would be all kinds of macho bullshit greatness. There's also the distinct possibility of seeing him strangle the life out of Matt Hardy, which I think each and every one of us would enjoy.

The way he was buried when he came back into WWE was shocking & a massive waste

I think this is a wrong move for TNA. There is nothing wrong with Scotty Steiner in small doses, he's entertaining in a car crash way. They just don't need a guy who had his peak years as a worker 19 years ago and his peak as a character 11 years ago. I can fully understand why people who are fans of guys like Steiner and Nash and Sting wasnt to see them, that's not the issue. The issue is that TNA are not progressing and not making stars that people care about. If having Steiner, Nash, Booker T and Sting on TV at the same time doesn't pique the interest of anyone outside your regular audience then surely they don't have any worth to the company on their own. They need to learn these lessons.

:laugh: I like how people have just forgot how big a deal Steiner was, as absolute royalty. Revisionism, actually you'll find he was on Velocity and jobbed out to Johnny Parisini 12 dozen times.

He was unfit to wrestle due to his recent foot injury, was pushed as a face and put in the main event after years of ringrust. He was doomed from the beginning in WWE. Steiner knew this too, but I guess all he saw were dollars, so he decided to do the matches with HHH anyway.

Needless to say he proved he wasn't "overrated" with his matches in TNA. I'm glad he's back, I hope this is indeed the start of a MEM return.

• Paid Members

He was way past his best. He's never been the same since 2000, despite the odd flash. Sure, they could have gone out of their way to protect him but it isn't their style. He's got to take some responsibility, he had an opportunity and he blew it. if he wasn't fit to wrestle, why didn't he do 6 months work on the indy scene to get ready? He wanted the money and the program. Also, WWE run house shows, he worked several matches before the Triple H match.

If those matches were as bad as at Rumble then WWE deserve plenty of criticism though I suspect Trips is arrogant enough to think he could drag matches out of Steiner.

I'm not saying his run was perfect but he was given a great opportunity. Words like "buried" are laughable.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I suspect. His match with HHH at the RR is hilariously bad, so much so that it's Mrs Loki's favourite match due to Steiner sucking in so much oxygen you can practically see the first row of the audience fainting. And I suspect Steiner's an arrogant enough man not to have flagged up that he wasn't really up to a full length match yet at that point.

However... the WWE is full of smart guys, a lot of whom had known him for years. They should have protected him, as Dead Mike said. They should have had him established as a power wrestler who does quick matches, and run the whole feud a lot slower. HHH could have worked the match a lot differently, and protected Steiner a lot more.

They didn't, and as always happened with WCW guys they seemed more concerned with proving they aren't all that, than making money. From the reactions Steiner got, he could have been huge for them. No wonder Sting's never wanted to go there.

And Steiner's had better matches in TNA than most of the WWE roster has had in their careers. When it comes to the things that really matter - emotion, audience connection, drama, charisma... he can still deliver.

• Paid Members
Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I suspect.

Spot. Fucking. On.

They didn't, and as always happened with WCW guys they seemed more concerned with proving they aren't all that, than making money.

I'm sure some of that went on but I don't think it's "always" happened. Plenty of ex-WCW guys got a fair crack of the whip in the WWF. Flair, Luger, Steiners, Booker, Foley, Benoit, Guerrero and Misterio spring immediately to mind. Most bombed because they were never that good in the first place.

Funnily enough I was discussing Steiner's appearance at TNA in Glasgow in 2009 - in particular when he was running the ropes and it looked like he was falling over for a good few seconds, he must have been relieved when he got to stop legit falling and fake bump!

This might not make sense to people not at the show, but if you were there I'm sure you had a chuckle at the time and probably still when you picture it!

Archived