Forgotten Films

Mr. Seven

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Chill Factor didnt that THAT much hype leading up to it, did it? A lot of examples in this thread dont really fit the mould. If the thread was "films with huge hype that were a massive let down" then ok. But forgotten films? Godzilla? Its on TV enough to suggest that it isnt forgotten. Ok, it was shit, but hardly forgotten. What defines "forgotten" anyway? When was the last time Jaws was on TV? Is that forgotten too?

• Paid Members

how about this one:

B0002Z9WM0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

always feel this always gets buried under more crowd pleasing movies with similar themes like Armageddon. Deep Impact is a strange brew, the concept is a familiar one...comet heading towards earth, needs to be destroyed or we be fucked. The approach though is different, the rescue mission in space is actually pretty subdued and doesn't have any of the ott heroic's of Bruce Willis. Whilst the scenes on earth are actually pretty grim...the scene where Morgan Freeman's President lets the nation know that they are facing extinction is actually pretty harrowing. The effects of the attack are a little dated computer cgi wise but they are still pretty scary. The whole movie feels like a series of sub-plots, but I get a kick out of disaster movies so i enjoyed it, but with the recent releases of things like The Day After Tomorrow & 2012, Deep Impact probably doesn't hold much relevance these days.

Noticed how 'American Beauty' went from being in a lot of people's top five films of all time (in the year or so it came out) to being on very few people's top ten lists?

It's still highly rated, but the hype and hoopla over it at the time was immense.

American Beauty will always be one of my favourite films.

Back to topic:

I hadn't watched it in years, and the missus had never seen it, but last night we watched American History X. Powerful, greatly acted and vastly under-rated in my opinion

how about this one:

always feel this always gets buried under more crowd pleasing movies with similar themes like Armageddon. Deep Impact is a strange brew, the concept is a familiar one...comet heading towards earth, needs to be destroyed or we be fucked. The approach though is different, the rescue mission in space is actually pretty subdued and doesn't have any of the ott heroic's of Bruce Willis. Whilst the scenes on earth are actually pretty grim...the scene where Morgan Freeman's President lets the nation know that they are facing extinction is actually pretty harrowing. The effects of the attack are a little dated computer cgi wise but they are still pretty scary. The whole movie feels like a series of sub-plots, but I get a kick out of disaster movies so i enjoyed it, but with the recent releases of things like The Day After Tomorrow & 2012, Deep Impact probably doesn't hold much relevance these days.

its nowhere near as retarded as Armageddon though (or any Michael Bay film for that matter)

• Paid Members
I hadn't watched it in years, and the missus had never seen it, but last night we watched American History X. Powerful, greatly acted and vastly under-rated in my opinion

I was going to watch that but I think it might be best to see the first 9 before hand.

• Paid Members
how about this one:

its nowhere near as retarded as Armageddon though (or any Michael Bay film for that matter)

I always thought if they took the first half of Armageddon and the second half of DI they would have had one really great film.

I watched American History X last night too. How that film never won any awards? Brutally intense, amazing acting and really daring for it's time.

I do. He's shit. And a racist.

Is this because I didn't like Forest Whittaker? And where has this racist thing come from?

I meant Peter O'Toole is a racist. He referred to Troy director Wolfgang Petersen as a "silly kraut".

American History X was one of those films that blew me away as a teenager. Watching it now and I find the ending (which I of course found powerful and amazing at the time) to be an awful maudlin botch-job, reflective of the film's hammerblow lack of subtlety. Looks like Tony Kaye was right.

Archived