Forgotten Films

Mr. Seven

So I turned the channel after the Arsenal/Ipswich game and I noticed that VANTAGE POINT was on. Anyone remember this? I'd be shocked if you did, but it was hyped up big time when it came out. A big name cast (including Forest Whitaker off his Oscar win and Matthew Fox in his "Can he do a Clooney?" mode), a high concept (It's Rashomon but in English!) and a lot of coverage in the film magazines, labelled a "smart thriller" meant there was big expectations for this one. It underperformed and is in fact, quite rubbish. But yeah, I had totally forgotten about its existence.

So name a few films that you'd seen and then one day either caught on TV or saw in a bargain bin and did a double take.

Others for me include The Recruit, Enemy At The Gates and Animal Factory, all of which I saw in the cinema incidentally.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Training Day, in spite of Denzel Washington winning the Best Actor oscar, was to be found in pretty much every bargain bin around where I live for the maximum price of

• Paid Members

I think Doomsday definitely fits here. The long awaited next film after The Descent by Neil Marshall - sunk without trace and was complete nonsense. As nice as she looked, at what point did Marshall think it was a good idea to have RHONA MITRA taking the lead role?

• Paid Members

Vantage Point was fucking horrendous. Rammed home last night when I turned over to RTE and watched Forrest Whittaker try to act and provoke symptahy on the phone with his right eyelid hanging halfway down his face...

What's that Gus Vant Sant shitter? He's had many of them? The Columbine inspired on...hold up...Elephant. I remember either Total Film or Empire verbally fellating Van Sant and this movie, but it was shockingly boring.

I'm with Gladstone on Doomsday. Neil Marshall has his moments, but the genius Empire make him out to be, he is not. The Descent was good and all, but 5 stars? Sling...

One I've seen surprisingly floating around Golden Discs for 2.99 is the double disc set of Scarface. I'm not it's biggest fan, but many are...

• Paid Members
what's with the Forrest Whitaker hatred? :angry:

I asked this very same question the other day. Gladstone is getting upset!

Don't get me wrong, Whittaker was brilliant in Bird, Last King of Scotland, Ghost Dog and was okay in Street Kings, but c'mon, his Phone Booth, Crying Game and Vantage Point performances were overblown and sub standard.

Archived