WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2011

Cobra1000

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me who thinks Goldberg would be booed in a wwe hall of fame?

Of course he wouldnt. They havent seen him for ages and he was a massive star. They'd all mark out like twats. Myself included.

Speaking of which I honestly think he deserves a place in the Hall Of Fame despite what some of his peers like HHH and HBK have said, one of the biggest stars of the biggest boom period in wrestling history even if it was just for a few years

Some of the crowd reactions were unbelievable in early/mid 1998

So much for the proposed WCW 'Class' then. Really hope Marty Jannetty goes in as the resident longterm mid-card guy this year. Then gets another short run (his 9,867th by my count) before his inevitable firing.

A Clique Class has been suggested plenty of times in the past and even if they don't go all the way with that (I can see Nash getting in but not 100% sure they'll go for Hall and Waltman - although I'd like to see it)

I wouldn't mind a Michaels themed Class of people associated with HBK throughout his career and he's big enough name to deserve it.

I'd like something like the following:

* Shawn Michaels (main inductee)

* Scott Hall

* Kevin Nash

* Davey Boy Smith

* Sid

* The Brain Busters

* Marty Jannetty

Sid, Arn, Tully and The Outsiders give a nice nod to WCW as well that way which would work nicely I think.

No Paul Diamond?

Put the entire kliq (minus Triple H) in.

Nash and Hall speak for themselves and are available. Waltman deserves it as well, people can say what they like about him but he was a sensation in his younger days and introduced a lot of fans to the high flying style. Plus he had some amazin matches and was over like a motherfucker during the attitude boom.

Ron Simmons is always mentioned but I've never known why?

Here's why: it started at a time when he was still employed by the company when it became apparent the Hall of Fame and there was a feeling that they would induct most of the people they are on good terms with/like to use for novelty appearances or work as road agents (Mae Young, IRS, etc.) and so Simmons name was always grouped with them. Not saying that is the only reason (being the first black World Champion of a major company) or that he wasn't a star as well but I think that is why people were so sure of it.

The other reason is that they started billing him as a "legend" during his occasional in-ring appearances. There was a lot of talk about that on here when he replaced Roddy Piper in that Survivor Series match a few years ago about whether he was/wasn't a legend but regardless that is how WWE portrayed him. Around the same time JBL was on commentary and would always find a way to squeeze the APA into each week's SmackDown! in terms of listing them as one of the best teams of all time. So at that point (2006) I think everyone was looking at him as someone who would go in in the next few years.

Then when WM was in Florida the other year he seemed like a natural fit, even though he had left the company/been fired by that point which is why the talk about him going in that year popped up. Then a few year's ago there was online speculation that it might be politically correct for WWE to induct a few ethnic minority wrestler for the next years (although Simmons name was already someone were predicting for the reasons I mentioned earlier) following the Michael Hayes/Mark Henry situation. Again with this year being in Atlanta and the rumoured WCW theme his name popped up because it seemed to fit the bill.

He seemed alright in his shoot interview but went between being average to fucking horrible in the ring. First black world champion maybe but a terrible world champion of a second rate company who bombed anyway. To me he is another KoKo induction.

I really don't think they base it on workrate or quality of in-ring work (FWIW I thought Simmons was very good in his Doom days, but that's besides the point). Plenty of Hall of Famers weren't exactly Misawa in-ring.

I didn't mind Koko's induction - because I thought he was a good worker who was very over for an undercarder, almost (but not quite) the equivalent of putting Brad Armstrong in the WCW Hall of Fame which I don't think anyone would argue - but I don't think he's a good comparison to Simmons who was always pretty well protected and pretty high up the card. After all the main criticism of him back in 1997-98 was how much he was pushed/how much TV time the Nation got, and the main criticism of the APA was that their shoulders rarely touched the mat.

From around the time Doom unmasked to around 2001 Simmons was always either an uppercard or mid-carder whether it was challenging Luger on PPV as Lexy's first Title Challenger, passing his time feuding with Cactus/Abbey/Hughes, etc. or the title run out of nowhere against Vader he was never a treated as a jobber to the stars by WCW management in that period - that was guys like Tom Zenk, Brand Armstrong and Marcus Bagwell. He was treated as an incoming legend in his ECW appearances as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYSxcn1pr8

Granted WWF did make him look like an idiot with that Gladiator costume but once he had settled in he got to the finals of the IC tournament (a sign of faith) following which was given a gimmick overhall, given loads of promo time, made the leader of his own faction, had a high profile role from late '96 through '97, actually won his feud with the then-over Ahmed Johnson despite being the heel, got to challenge Undertaker for the WWF title on a Big Five PPV, rarely jobbed to anyone, got to the final of another IC tournament final (much as that seemed to annoy some at the time), got those vignettes hyping his university American football career, then even after it was obvious he wasn't the star of his own faction the whole Rock/Farooq thing was given loads of TV time for months and months building to the inevitable split. Post NOD '98 was probably his lowest point in terms of profile but once he was put together with Bradshaw as Taker's henchmen they were pretty well protected from the start.

Don't get me wrong even though I like Simmons I can see why some thought he was overpushed, but that isn't really something you can accuse Koko B. Ware of.

So much for the proposed WCW 'Class' then. Really hope Marty Jannetty goes in as the resident longterm mid-card guy this year. Then gets another short run (his 9,867th by my count) before his inevitable firing.

A Clique Class has been suggested plenty of times in the past and even if they don't go all the way with that (I can see Nash getting in but not 100% sure they'll go for Hall and Waltman - although I'd like to see it)

I wouldn't mind a Michaels themed Class of people associated with HBK throughout his career and he's big enough name to deserve it.

I'd like something like the following:

* Shawn Michaels (main inductee)

* Scott Hall

* Kevin Nash

* Davey Boy Smith

* Sid

* The Brain Busters

* Marty Jannetty

Sid, Arn, Tully and The Outsiders give a nice nod to WCW as well that way which would work nicely I think.

No Paul Diamond?

I'd love to see Badd Company/The Orient Express go in there just to get a bit of recognition since both were top drawer. Can't see it though. Much as people laugh about some of the names in WWE's HoF I think he'd be considered not a big enough name even for them.

• Paid Members

X-Pac should go in. He was a bigger star than Jannetty ever was, and a better wrestler, so if he's in, Waltman should be in. I'd replace the Brain Busters, for two reasons. 1) Arn should be going in seperately as a stand alone and 2) You'd need Flair to be inducting them and that isnt going to happen at the minute.

Despite all the backstage stuff I've never really associated Kid with Michaels the way I did Jannetty, Bulldog, Razor and Nash (or Triple H/Chris Jericho/Bret Hart/Undertaker for that matter). I do associate him with Hall and Nash though so he would be a good fit. I'd have no problem with him going in this year but wouldn't be bothered if they waited until New Age Outlaws/some other Attitude Era names go in either. Whereas Marty I do think his best chance is getting in the same year as his former Rocker partner. That said, having both those go in the same year would actually be pretty cool given their short-lived team that had the potential to be fantastic.

Much as I liked both in their primes I've never really thought about who I'd rate over who as workers r.e. Jannetty and Kid, although I definitely still rate Jannetty over Michaels during their time teaming. Both were pretty different despite often being used in a similar role. Don't think anyone would argue against X-Pac being a bigger singles star - the dude was over.

Brainbusters together was me trying to tie them to Michaels which is a way of doing it but any other year I'd be more than happy to see them go in individually (and always expected Michaels would be a good pick to induct Tully which obviously wouldn't happen this year). Flair not being around is a bit of a drag really. Could have easily seen the rumoured 'Horseman' deal of Double A, Windham, Tully and Dillon coming to pass last year or this if he'd been around with either Flair inducting them all or just Arn. I just hope whenever he does go in Anderson gets a decent amount of time to talk since Double A's induction speech has the potential to be one of the best ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about theming an entire class. An all-attitude era class, or all new-generation class would be interesting to me in ways that the usual mish-mash isn't. I don't much care for inductees who were finished before I started watching wrestling, or who were never big parts of WWF/WCW during my time as a fan. For example, last year I didn't give a toss about any of them except DiBiase and I guess Stu Hart (purely because he was always pushed pretty hard as a legend during Bret's singles career). It was nice to see highlight packages and get a tough of knowledge/appreciation of these wrestlers from before my time, though.

But if Nash, Hall, Michaels and X-Pac were all going in the same year, who'd do the inductions? Triple H for everyone? I'd prefer them spaced out so they can induct each other on separate years.

• Paid Members
But if Nash, Hall, Michaels and X-Pac were all going in the same year, who'd do the inductions? Triple H for everyone? I'd prefer them spaced out so they can induct each other on separate years.

I'd have:

-Triple H inducting Shawn Michaels, which is a given.

-Dusty Rhodes would induct Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. They would go in together, because I doubt they'd allow Scott Hall 20 minutes by himself on stage without someone there to nudge him in the ribs. Big Dust mentored both of them at different stages of there career. Dusty even managed the lads for a bit in 1998. If this was 2006/2007, then Hogan would have been awesome to induct them. And who knows, maybe he will eventually, because The Outsiders getting inducted is just hearsay at the moment.

-For X-Pac, you'd have to give the nod to someone like Dean Malenko, I'd imagine, because he got his start being trained by the Malenko's and had a series of matches in WCW and even won the cruiserweight belt off Malenko. Sure there is more fitting people to induct him, but Malenko is employed by them and more importantly, he isnt dead or a fat druggy like X-Pac's other mates.

-Aldo Montoya should be inducted by Prince Albert.

What I would think would be class, and rather funny and ironic, is if Triple H meets and defeats Shamus at WrestleMania, all the Clique should come out and do a curtain call at the end of it. Oh, how naughty. Wouldnt put it past them, to be fair, since I imagine Triple H and Michaels would find it a smashing idea if someone brought it up. I'd love it. Probably 3% chance of it ever happening, but that would be a fitting fairwell to Hall, Nash, X-Pac, HBK and possibly HHH from fulltime wrestling.

• Paid Members

My picks would be for Hall and Nash to join Micahels this year. I'd Like X-Pac to go in as well, but see no harm in him waiting until HHH and/or the New Age Outlaws(if that were possible over the shit they have slung at HHH the past few years) were to go in.

But I would like to see some kind of connection with WCW, and the one I think I'd most like to see outside the obvious Arn, Tully, Sting recommendations is Vader. He should definitely be going in here.

Brian Pillman would be a good fit, if they weren't so hung up on inducting dead wrestlers.

HBK( Vince)

Xpac( H3)

Scott Hall (Nash)

New Age Outlaws ( Dont know)

Ron Simmons (JBL)

Bulldog (Bret) Accepted by Harry

thats who I would like to see in. Tag team turmoil at mania for the belts with APA and outlaws in it as surprises.

Those mentioning New Age Outlaws. I personally don't think its their time to go in yet.

I really want Arn Anderson to go in, and I do think this is his year to go in. I think its pretty much a lock. He was great. I think infact he was underrated/underused, and could easily have been a world champion.

Bulldog I also think deserves a place. I'm wondering whether he should get his own place, or whether the British Bulldogs could infact be inducted as a tag team. I think Dynamite Kid deserves to go in and I can see WWE putting them both in as a tag team, but not sure if I see them putting Kid in on his own. Or infact whether he'd accept it? Hary would definately induct the 2 of them. Harry infact went and saw Dynamite when WWE was last over here, he said on his Twitter.

Michael Hayes. Another one I'd like to see where I'm wondering whether the Fabulous Freebirds could go in as a tag team, seeing as most of his career was spent in the tag team. Him and Terry Gordy. Could they be inducted by the last remaining Von Erich, Kevin? Whatever way, I don't think Hayes will go in this year.

Gotta have the token old old timer(eg Georgeous George last year). Whens Lou Thesz gonna go in?

• Paid Members

If the Legends of Wrestling shows are anything to go by Hall, Nash and Waltman might have to wait a while. In the recent under/over achievers episode they were each slammed for being under-achievers and dropping the ball.

Jim fucking Ross had to remind everyone that WCW existed and defend them a little!

I'd love to see Hall and Nash go in, but I dont think it'll happen. They would also have to tape it in advance and lock Hall in his hotel room for a few days before it.

DDP is a tough call. I'd like it personally. I remember in the confidential DVD they released a few years ago it had an extra called WCW champions and had talking heads commenting over the different champions. You'd think DDP was Eric Watts from most of the comments! Even Bischoff didnt defend him too well.

DDP was incredibly over and a highlight during the peak and dying days of WCW, but his place in wrestling history has been palmed off and crapped on SO much. I dont think he'll ever get in.

Archived