WWE's new hiring policy.

Snitsky's back acne

If you were going twelve years back, there'd be loads. But in the last six years or so, there aren't that many (that made it to TV, anyway).

Del Rio, Kozlov, Tarver (I think), Khali, Tyler Reks, Titus O'Neill, Sim "Deuce" Snuka, Kizarny, Marcus Cor Von, Snitsky. That's not counting the ECW old-timers they brought in. And Michael McGillicutty was about 28 when he signed, but he looked like a 40 year old paedophile.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds very logical to me, the young stars will last for longer that over 30's. WWE are trying to make the company ready for the future by having 'superstars' who fans of many different ages will be familiar with.

Orton and Cena started 8 or so years back and probably have 10 + years left in them, helps the cross over period.

It won't stop WWE signing somebody who they can will be a somebody though. If they could agree terms with a 'Bob Sapp,' they'd bring him in even if over 30, maybe even 40.

If you were going twelve years back, there'd be loads. But in the last six years or so, there aren't that many (that made it to TV, anyway).

Del Rio, Kozlov, Tarver (I think), Khali, Tyler Reks, Titus O'Neill, Sim "Deuce" Snuka, Kizarny, Marcus Cor Von, Snitsky. That's not counting the ECW old-timers they brought in. And Michael McGillicutty was about 28 when he signed, but he looked like a 40 year old paedophile.

Reks is only 32 and he's been on the books for longer than two years. I only know this as I was browsing his wiki page earlier

Reks is only 32 and he's been on the books for longer than two years. I only know this as I was browsing his wiki page earlier

Well either you read it wrong or it's been changed since, because it currently contains this info:

born November 1, 1978

Tuft was signed to a developmental contract with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) in February 2009

Well he'd have just turned 30, and it says on his wiki he made his debut for WWE in 2007, but didn't sign a deal until February 2009. So who knows what's true and what isn't, it is wikipedia after all and I don't know how many people are so keen on keeping Tyler Reks page completely factual and up to date.

Its probably because the crop of stars being developed in FCW and places like that are being given word for word scripts. They've never learned to develop their own promo skills, they're reading off a script and unless you're a very good actor none of it feels real or genuine. There's only a handful of guys in WWE and TNA who could take the mic with only bullet points and kill half an hour. CM Punk is one of them I feel.

Its probably because the crop of stars being developed in FCW and places like that are being given word for word scripts. They've never learned to develop their own promo skills, they're reading off a script and unless you're a very good actor none of it feels real or genuine. There's only a handful of guys in WWE and TNA who could take the mic with only bullet points and kill half an hour. CM Punk is one of them I feel.

I've heard Punk say (think it was on Art of Wrestling podcast) that he gets told what points he needs to get over and then left to fill in the rest himself.

For my money they should do this with everyone and only if they make a mess of it all the time start scripting particular guys more. They should be able to get a handle on who can and can't cope in developmental so it's not like they're going to be making a mess of Raw every week going down that route.

• Paid Members
There's only a handful of guys in WWE and TNA who could take the mic with only bullet points and kill half an hour.

When has that ever been any different? Go and watch most WWF guys trying to kill 2 mins on superstars each week, even with agents to help them. Go and watch most rambling elongated promo's in WCW in the mid-late 90's. Who were the dozens of promo kings in the WWF in the late 90's or early 2000's? For every Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Steve Austin, etc, there are dozens and dozens of Billy Gunn's.

WWF late 90's early 2000's promos just felt more real. Either they where better actors, had more practice of where just very good talkers. Either way, I agree that for ever Jake Roberts there's a million Billy Gunns, but during that period at least it felt like everyone could get on the mic and talk and talk and no-one would get bored.

• Paid Members
WWF late 90's early 2000's promos just felt more real. Either they where better actors, had more practice of where just very good talkers. Either way, I agree that for ever Jake Roberts there's a million Billy Gunns, but during that period at least it felt like everyone could get on the mic and talk and talk and no-one would get bored.

Apart from a handful of people though, they were delivering scripted promos. The content is the problem.

Archived