FSM Thread

Vipes

Always loved FSM and still do, buy it every month....is it perfect, no offcourse not but aside from the typo's i never really found anything to really moan about, sure some periods where better than others but there have always been enough good articles in it to warrant the purchase for me.

I just hope they keep it this way and don't add more mma stuff since i couldn't care less for mma so i guess the mma part of fsm is my biggest issue cause i just don't care about it lol, but i don't blame fsm,mma is popular and a lot of people seems to be into it so it's nice that they give it coverage, as long as it doesnt start be more about mma then pro wrestling i'm fine....theres enough dedicated mma magazines out there so fsm doesn't need to follow suit imo.

But so far everything is fine.

Yeah this is my worry too. Im not really into MMA either, so would hate to see the mag overtook by it. Like you I understand why it's included, but like you say there is dedicated MMA magazines out there. But if its kept as it is at the minute im all for it.

Always loved FSM and still do, buy it every month....is it perfect, no offcourse not but aside from the typo's i never really found anything to really moan about, sure some periods where better than others but there have always been enough good articles in it to warrant the purchase for me.

I just hope they keep it this way and don't add more mma stuff since i couldn't care less for mma so i guess the mma part of fsm is my biggest issue cause i just don't care about it lol, but i don't blame fsm,mma is popular and a lot of people seems to be into it so it's nice that they give it coverage, as long as it doesnt start be more about mma then pro wrestling i'm fine....theres enough dedicated mma magazines out there so fsm doesn't need to follow suit imo.

But so far everything is fine.

Yeah this is my worry too. Im not really into MMA either, so would hate to see the mag overtook by it. Like you I understand why it's included, but like you say there is dedicated MMA magazines out there. But if its kept as it is at the minute im all for it.

You've nothing to worry about. :)

• Awards Moderator
I haven't bought an issue of FSM since summer 2008 - a combination of diminishing interest in wrestling, and boredom with its endless and nonsensical 'What If' articles that inevitably ended with an ROH wrestler beating Triple H at WrestleMania, and irritation with Alex Shane's persistence in trying to convince me I'm being mind-controlled by the McDonalds logo - but I'm going to pop out to WH Smith now and pick up a copy. Second chances and all that.

Did you enjoy the issue? :)

I did, a definite improvement over the last few times I've bought it. It felt a lot more like the very early issues (which I enjoyed very much despite all the typos). Things like the proportion of wrestling-BritWres-MMA coverage were well-balanced - just enough MMA for a casual fan like me to want to read.

I had some initial reservations when I spotted Luke Dormehl's name on a couple of articles. This goes back to a feature he wrote several years ago, which contained a couple of paragraphs of savage Undertaker-bashing along the lines of "he buries everyone, he can't work, he is the worst thing ever to happen to anything", which seemed a little incongruous considering the article had nothing to do with Undertaker ... I wrote an email in, feeling compelled to defend the poor Dead Man, which received a fantastically snarky response in the letters page from Mr. Dormehl essentially saying "you're an idiot, he's awful, he wouldn't let Mike Awesome beat him". I assumed that was the end of it, until he wrote an article on (I think) HHH a few issues later, which was also along the lines of "he buries everyone, he can't work, he is the worst thing ever to happen to anything", and felt the need to have a go at me in the opening paragraph! I hope I'm not wrong in thinking that's a pretty unprofessional thing to do, and it put me off reading anything more of his. It's possibly the old editor that's more to blame for not cutting it out of the final article, but still...

Anyway, the point of all that was that the Dormehl articles in this issue were much more objective and better written than previously, and he didn't have a go at any readers in them, so that's an improvement as well.

Content wise, everything was fine - the NJPW article was very good, and the Jarrett interview was interesting - but a couple of bits (the pieces on CM Punk and John Morrison) didn't seem to really go anywhere. Both pieces basically consisted of "he did this, then he did that, which wasn't great, but now he's doing this and that's better". They didn't really reach any conclusion or have much point to them.

I'd also have a look at a columnist reshuffle. Lance Storm's was very good, but I can't think there are many people that are bothered about RD Reynolds anymore. I can remember what Storm's and Apter's columns were about this month, but I've got no recollection of what Reynolds was talking about.

So, yeah. A definite improvement from the last time I read it, and naturally there's still work to be done (like that 'KAVAL LEAVES WWE' news piece that I don't think actually mentioned Kaval outside of its title?), but I'd be quite happy to start picking it up regularly again.

Feedback~!

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the issue.

I haven't read the Luke Dormehl article where he felt compelled to bash The Undertaker, nor the reply that you were given to your letter, but to be snarky in that manner would be out of character for Luke, who is a very talented writer indeed. Perhaps the difference is just that I have made my standards for FSM very clear, and that kind of writing would not find that criteria.

I'll take on board your thoughts on the columnists. I'm continuing to seek out the best journalists for FSM - hopefully, a new face or two will appear in Issue 65 - in order to showcase my belief that we offer the best overall wrestling magazine product on the shelves.

Thanks for the response. It's encouraging to see an editor taking an active interest in what part of the readership thinks - I know the UKFF's only a small section of the target audience, but it's an accessible place to get a range of responses from.

Full marks for following up my post from the end of January and actually wanting to know what I thought, too. :thumbsup:

I have to say I've brought FSM for the last couple of months after following this thread, and it's a definite improvement over what's gone before - I thought I'd been put off for life after reading one of the free tabloid supplements they had with it a couple of years ago, which was the worst thing I've ever paid for!

Just to add my thoughts to what others have said, I think the balance is just about right now,I particularly liked the Final Battle retrospective and results from the last couple of editions, and thank god, the 'what if...' articles have been future endeavoured!

bought the latest issue alongside PowerSlam, more to compare both after reading. well i can safely say, that despite a few typos and whatnot, i found FSM to be a far better read than PS. lot less negativity compared to PS as well as past issues of FSM. for me it looks like FSM has dropped the smart arsed style under the Denton era of the magazine (Brian, please keep him away from the new one), didn't miss the Alex Shane articles and on a whole there was far more to read.

keep this up and i guess i could well be a monthly buyer. it will take a few issues to really bring me round, however this months issue has left a positive impression to this reader. Brian, once again well done on reaching out to the readers. personally, it's little things like that make all the difference especially if i am going to continue purchasing.

if anything i would like to see the MMA aspect not featured as much. granted there are pages to fill but i consider FSM more of a pro wrestling magazine, and if i want to read more MMA, i will pick up a related publication

I have been a subscriber for about 4 years now. I think its a better read now there isnt so much MMA in it. I was disapointed a few months back as there was supposed to be an article on wrestling conventions in the next months issue, but there wasnt :( I thought that would have been a good read

I have been a subscriber for about 4 years now. I think its a better read now there isnt so much MMA in it. I was disapointed a few months back as there was supposed to be an article on wrestling conventions in the next months issue, but there wasnt :( I thought that would have been a good read

Then that just makes it a sloppy magazine. At least when Power Slam says something is going to be in the next issue isn't, they at least apologise and note that it will be in the next issue.

Then that just makes it a sloppy magazine. At least when Power Slam says something is going to be in the next issue isn't, they at least apologise and note that it will be in the next issue.

Thats true I suppose. Im a subscriber of Power Slam as well. They had been saying the would do a tribute to Giant Gonzales for months but at least they did say it would appear at a later date.

Since Jack Brisco died (Feb last year), PS have been saying that they would be doing a piece on him. . . They still haven't.

Edited by Steviebabes

Since Jack Brisco died (Feb last year), PS have been saying that they would be doing a piece on him. . . They still haven't.

I stand corrected then, though they usualy come through with their promises. It is the better mag by miles though, I do really enjoy reading it even if it is abit depressing.

The article on wrestling conventions was moved to the side due to other, more relevant stories happening at the time. However, if people are interested in reading about it, I'll certain look into a piece in a future issue.

Changing things around on short noticed is a fact of the publishing business, and sometimes it makes no sense to come back to the story a month or two later. None of us have a crystal ball, unfortunately. :)

188119_121413230346_2145877_n.jpg

Issue 64 of FSM is out tomorrow (Thursday, February 23), featuring an in-depth interview with none other than Jerry "The King" Lawler, as well as detailed stories on Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Ken Anderson, and many more. We also have a tremendous insight into what it's like to be a independent wrestler in the tough economic time that is 2011.

I hope many of you will pick the magazine up, and offer your opinion of it in this thread.

188119_121413230346_2145877_n.jpg

Issue 64 of FSM is out tomorrow (Thursday, February 23), featuring an in-depth interview with none other than Jerry "The King" Lawler, as well as detailed stories on Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Ken Anderson, and many more. We also have a tremendous insight into what it's like to be a independent wrestler in the tough economic time that is 2011.

I hope many of you will pick the magazine up, and offer your opinion of it in this thread.

the DVD covers at the bottom of the cover that say 'reviewed inside this isssue', whats the one in the middle, i cant make it out