Day trip to London advice

Steve Justice

We're planning on going to the Natural History Museum and Tower of London on Sunday. First question is, can both be achievable in the same day? And where is best place to park? I know we'll end up using the tube so we want something that's accessible to both.

If both can't be done, is there anything close to the History Museum that's worth going to? If it helps, I have a 13 year old son.

Can't speak for the tower of london (queues etc) but I am sure the history museum can be done in a day (or morning) without any queue times or anything like that.

As for parking, its either park at the end of the train line (e.g. Cockfosters on Piccadilly line), drive into London and pay to park somewhere for like

From memory that is a journey from south ken to tower hill which is probably only twenty mins so doable but check the tfl web site for weekend engineering works. Personally, unless London is a once every few years treat, I would either -

If dry sight see London on foot. Start by waterloo and head east on the south bank and head towards the tower (perhaps crossing at the wibbly wobbly bridge).

Satisfy your, or your nipper's, inner nerd by taking in the science museum as well as the natural history. Next door and lots of hands on stuff for kids.

Science Museum sounds a plan to be honest if it's right next door.

Travelling from Northampton. I've never driven into London before, always got the train. If you have postcodes or general areas for the free parking we can use the Satnav to there and I can work my head around the tube.

Travelling from Northampton. I've never driven into London before, always got the train. If you have postcodes or general areas for the free parking we can use the Satnav to there and I can work my head around the tube.

Depends how you want to look at it, but you could either drive to the outskirts of London (e.g. I said Cockfosters but probably somewhere much more nearer to the M1) or you can drive in a bit and catch a train from there, although for all the money you pay for trains etc your best bet might even to drive into london near the museums and pay

• Paid Members

When me and a mate went down we did both Natural history and Science Museum's, well worth a look at both if you have time. We did both in one day but that would be about it.

The science museum had some cool stuff, although I did weep when there was a SNES and Gameboy on display. They also had this cool wall of little screens picking stuff up off a selection of forums and reading them out with an automated voice. It was strangely hypnotic.

Natural History museum is awesome, the science museum is ok (has a cool imax/3d cinema thing upstairs from memory) but might be a bit much doing 2 museums in one day, it kind of depends how in to that kind of think your kid is. That being said the science museum does do awesome fish fingers in the canteen, so its worth a trip just for that. Plus the museums are free (woop woop)

The tower of London is pretty much the other end of the river - it'd take a fair while to get there and is quite pricey to get in to.

There isnt much parking near the museum - its all on the street parking, so uses meters and can rack up a bit during the day. you'd be best of parking up out of town somewhere - or away from the city - and getting the tube in.

Archived