DPW Returns to Ossett Town Hall 12/02/2011

Toga

I don't think 1PW can be blamed for this at all.

DPW and feds of this nature should be marketing heavily to the local family market. They should be putting posters and flyers everywhere they can in the surrounding area, especially around any and all schools depending on how many are in the nearby vicinity.

The average kid won't know that over a year ago, in Doncaster 40 minutes away in a car, RVD was at 1PW's last Doncaster show. And not even the kids parents would be aware that one cunt in South Yorkshire was a bit sticky fingered when it came to money.

I get it if you're trying to argue the collapse of the Yorkshire smart mark. But DPW, even when 1PW was still running, were not relying or marketing towards the smark money. In Morley, there were plenty of kids and families there and that's the money you need.

I have no idea if Togs was up all day and night wandering Ossett putting flyers up, or looking very suspicious stood so close to school property. He could've done that and still suffered a bad draw. The result? Ossett isn't a wrestling area. Move on and find somewhere new.

I get why DPW are travelling in the Leeds area as they don't wanna burn out the one market. But when you're travelling, there is always going to be trial and error. This was error. But 1PW's past actions can't be blamed on Yorkshire as a whole struggling.

Its a fair counterpoint better than being told I'm plain wrong. Just a theory (not a blanket one just aimed at the old 1PW fans really) I based on people I met at those shows and that fact that at least a dozen of them don't go to shows anymore and some still have disdain for 1PW. Though I think the main thing over any 1PW past shenanigans is lack of cash, takes someone rare to get smart fans to part with money for a show and most aren't going to bother for a roster of Brits sadly. Even I view old 1PW supershows as a special time and thats something that ended for me at 3AS and went downhill rapidly, only went to about 5 shows last year and not one in the last 6 months.

Agree with DPW being more for casuals and Toga did/does alot of flyering, low down turn seemed to start with the moving about to other places, so the key could be trying to tap into a new audience if the Morley folk cannot be arsed to travel far or returning to Ackroyd WMC. Toga int daft I'm sure he's on top of it.

Regarding the size of the crowd for these type of shows, you have to look at the recession. Wrestling will always be a luxury item on peoples shopping lists, also the popularity of the current WWE product does seem to have a knock-on effect, good or bad?

At the last NGW Show (in Hull, Yorkshire). They drew a good crowd, the show was very heavily promoted & yet i suggest that less than 20% of the audience were casual walkups? Lots of trainees, friends & families. This is not a bad thing, you have to do what you have to do, to survive in the current climate.

I wish DPW well for trying to put on quality shows & turn a profit? If you love wrestling & hard work, then you are in with a chance. If you are into easy money & get rich quick schemes, i have two words for you......Forget it!

This is way off the mark. I'm told on a head count there was at least 150 in there. 20% of that is 30 people. We had over that just in presales from 'casuals'. It would mean 120 were connected to the promotion as a trainee or a realtive, which would be brilliant but not true.

On another note, Ossett drew very well when DPW ran there just two months ago in December. From what I here, DPW weren't supported by the venue in promotion like last time.

Regarding the size of the crowd for these type of shows, you have to look at the recession. Wrestling will always be a luxury item on peoples shopping lists, also the popularity of the current WWE product does seem to have a knock-on effect, good or bad?

At the last NGW Show (in Hull, Yorkshire). They drew a good crowd, the show was very heavily promoted & yet i suggest that less than 20% of the audience were casual walkups? Lots of trainees, friends & families. This is not a bad thing, you have to do what you have to do, to survive in the current climate.

I wish DPW well for trying to put on quality shows & turn a profit? If you love wrestling & hard work, then you are in with a chance. If you are into easy money & get rich quick schemes, i have two words for you......Forget it!

This is way off the mark. I'm told on a head count there was at least 150 in there. 20% of that is 30 people. We had over that just in presales from 'casuals'. It would mean 120 were connected to the promotion as a trainee or a realtive, which would be brilliant but not true.

On another note, Ossett drew very well when DPW ran there just two months ago in December. From what I here, DPW weren't supported by the venue in promotion like last time.

I was at both shows and there was more at the last show but prob an extra 25? just a guess really.

I agree with your last comment, I did say to my partner last night there there was no posters up at the venue and I didnt really see one in the shops around it. If a venue doesnt want to support a show in there unit then its time to move on.

It is a fair point, and if you were to localize it to the Doncaster/at a stretch South Yorkshire region, as I'm sure 1PW's past actions will have had an effect on the casuals as well as the smarks.

But realistically in an area that's a good 40 minute drive away, there shouldn't be any knock off effect on casuals what so ever.

Like Legends said, wrestling is a luxury so perhaps the good people of Ossett couldn't manage it.

You can argue that 1PW oversaturating Doncaster along with the "supershow" concept will make it harder for any promotion to run full time in Donny, as well as any promotion attempting 1PW-esque supershows on a full time basis, no matter where in the country.

To appeal to a smark now AND the casul/family audience now, you need shows like Sloan bringing over entire Japanese companies for something rarer than everything else you'd find on the UK scene. The new 1PW changing game plan to bring over some of the biggest stars of the 90's rather than the current indy stars. GPW being a UK rarity in being able to run shows (bi)monthly in the same area due to the connection they have with the audience. IPW:UK bringing in some hot young stars from America and Japan, but also having good story telling.

To survive you need to connect with your audience, offer them something they won't be able to get anywhere else, and be very careful not to oversaturate your market or exclude your audience.

I dunno if I even had a point with all this in the end, but yeah.....

Bad luck to DPW for having a bad draw last night, but when you fall down you must pick yourself back up and learn from your mistakes.

I don't think Yorkshire is dead.... It's going to take a lot of hard work and patience to create a brand that will draw and draw well consistently.

Fair enough Rich, you have the figures at hand. There were a lot or very familiar faces though. I know for a fact that between me & JDG we directly dragged in 20% of the audience. The fact that a lot of the audience are "familiar faces" is a good thing. They like the NGW product & have returned.

Cobystag made a good point, that you must make a connection with your customers. NGW does this very well, you provide a fun/quality night out that is relatively inexpensive. Aggressive promoting does work & if enough people muck in, it can be increase your crowd. There is however only so many people willing to drag their asses to Longhill on a cold,dark, rainy Saturday night. So as long as its not just a few people busting their humps, then if you only get a small return on A LOT of hard work, then i guess it is worth all the aggro?

Archived