UFC Fight For The Troops: Dunham vs Guillard * Discussion Thread *

Egg Shen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shitty performance from Cole Miler last night I thought, he got dominated by Matt Wiman

I thought Joey Beltran could've had the win against Barry. He had him up against the cage and dominated him there a lot. Not a way to win a fight, but I was surprised the judges scored it so one-sided

Mark Hominick. Wow. He looks like a more viable contender to Jose Aldo than Josh Grispi did and may even give Aldo a run for his money

Matt Mitrione has gotta get a step up in competition next. I hope he can keep winning coz I like him, but I don't see him ever bein a threat to Velasquez, JDS, Lesnar, Mir etc etc. Maybe a fight with Carwin could be interesting though?

Awesome performance from Melvin Guillard. 2 losses in a row for Dunham in a stacked lightweight division. Hopefully he gets another go and can get back on the wins

• Paid Members

I thought it was a fun show top to bottom last night.

Glad to see Wiman get the win, always enjoyed watching him fight and always kinda thought Cole Miller seems a bit of a twat so I was happy with the result. Miller didn't look himself, dunno if he was injured or what but pretty much the whole fight took place on the ground which is his best area and he should've had the advantage there but he offered nothing. He's usually really active from the bottom but Wiman just dominated him.

Barry/Beltran was good stuff. Bit of a slow start but picked up in the 2nd and 3rd. Really happy to see Barry win. He's fun to watch and he seems like one of the coolest guys in the sport to me so you can't help but root for him. Them leg kicks were fuckin brutal, dunno how Beltran made it to the final buzzer. I'd like to see Barry vs Mark Hunt if Hunt somehow wins his next fight.

Mark Hominick looked really sharp. Looking forward to him fighting Aldo, I can't see him doing much better than Brown, Faber or Gamburyan did but it should be fun while it lasts anyway and you never know, who'd have thought this time last year that Frankie Edgar would be the LW champ and beat BJ Penn twice?

3.gif

Zombie walk. Man Roop was fucked up

Meathead had a good finish over a fairly tough guy. Hard to think who he'll fight next? No-one really sticks out but him asking for higher level comp I'm thinking he might get someone like Heath Herring if he does return?

Main event was a bit of a surprise for me. I thought Dunham would find a way to get it to the ground and get a submission but Melvin looked fantastic. Really solid takedown defence and he always is dangerous standing up. He can compete with the best of the 155ers in the striking department no doubt. Big win for Melvin, I can see him getting the Florian fight that Dunham was meant to have now.

And I loved the Edwards/McKenzie fight. It got FOTN and rightly so IMO. McKenzie did really well and shouldn't be too hurt by the loss, especially against someone like Edwards who's so experienced. Real nice submission by Edwards after having a rough round.

Good bunch of fights, roll on UFC 126 in 2 weeks :)

• Paid Members
I thought it was a fun show top to bottom last night.

I agree.

Glad to see Wiman get the win

I agree again! I fucking love Matt Wiman. His energy is incredible and he backed it up with great offence. He was outstanding on the ground. I love that he pulled out that bit of paper to remember who to thank! Which idiot judge gave Miller a round?

The Barry/Beltra fight was interesting but never really got going. I also like Barry so I'm glad he picked it up and went on to win. I think he's more entertaining than most heavyweights but realistically, he's never going near the top of the division.

I fell asleep and missed Roop/Hominick. Woke up for Mitrione. Another really strong showing from him. Amazing that he came across as a pussy and a twat in the UF house and yet appears to be neither. Weird guy.

Guillard is another guy I really like so was pleased he pulled out an awesome performance. Excellent KO.

Card was decent overall. A couple of real wars and a few quick brawls. Nice blend. Would have been nice to see a couple of lighter guys on the card though, just to add more balance.

The opener and main were Lightweight bouts, and Roop/Hominick was a Featherweight bout for #1 contendership, effectively. Add that to two lightweight, a featherweight and a bantamweight on the Prelims (from 6 total) and there were quite a few lighter guys on this card overall.

Did you just mean more overall from the 2 brand new divisions (thus excluding lightweight)?

• Paid Members

Yeah, I meant the newer divisions, they haven't been around much. Just felt that having 2 heavy and 2 light matches on the card when they've got 7 divisions meant it could have been spread out more. Also, in fairness to them, neither the main nor the Roop/Hominick fights felt like lower weight fights because of the massive KO's.

Went home at lunch and watched the Roop/Hominick fight, which was an awesome performance by Hominick. Incredible knockout. Also saw the Mckenzie/Edwards fight which had a great second round. mckenzie looked very good against a good fighter until he got caught. The fact that he refused to tap gives them something to build him back up with.

• Paid Members

not read through this thread yet as im planning on watching the prelims later and want to avoid spoilers, but here's my 2 cents on the show:

* Wiman/Miller: holy fuck! Matt Wiman looked a fucking beast here, ive always liked Wiman but he tends to blow hot and cold, I really did expect Miller to work him over but Wiman was a man possessed. That ground and pound was fantastic, i thought he was gonna fade but he looked as good in round 3 as he did in round 1. Cole Miller is a guy who tends to go on a little streak, seem to be becoming a conteder then gets knocked back down again hard, it kinda fluffs up any momentum going for a Cerrone/Miller fight, but fuck it book it anways!

* Beltran/Barry: i enjoyed the fuck outta this, but was i the only one that scored the fight for Beltran? i thought he won the first two rounds and i had him winning 3 until the eye poke and subsequent beat-down. As limited as Beltran's technique is he makes what he's got work for him, whenever he stayed on the outside he was getting lit up, but he turned into a dirty-ass brawl and he did a great job. I thought the seperation's against the cage were a little harsh too, Beltran never stopped punishing Barry, but they got seperated a few times. The actual ending was unfortunate, Beltran was clearly fighting with one-eye and Barry beat fuck outta him, it was a brutal finish. One judge gave it 30-27 Barry, i don't see how he got that? Still, it was the kinda fight in which both guys benefitied, Barry's back in the win column, and Beltran proved that he's a tough muthafucker (them headkicked bounced off his dome and he didn't budge) with a crowd pleasing style...surely the UFC keep him around despite losing 2 straight.

* Hominick/Roop: Stuff always seems to work out for the UFC, the inlclusion of the 145'ers is great but i always thought the Aldo/Grispi fight was set up as an Aldo showcase more than an actual legit. title fight. Aldo's injury meant that Grispi fought somone else and lost, which opened the door for Hominick...who then comes in and looks fucking scary against Roop on national tv and comes out unscathed to set up a proper 145 title fight with Aldo which will have much more steam behind it than Aldo/Grispi ever had, brilliant.

Roop fought scared here, maybe it's because he's trained with Hominick and knew he had no chance other than to land something early? but everytime Hominick threw something it was accurate and it was hurtful, great performance...and i can't wait for the Aldo fight!

* Mitrione/Hague: Matt Mitrione has to be the the biggest surprise ever to come out of TUF. I don't think anyone tipped him for anything on the show but he's looking fucking better everytime he fights. Hague looked outclassed from the start. Mitrione's been brought along slowly but i think it's time for him to move up in class, he's destroying the undercard. Mitrione's carefree style and fearlessness makes him dangerous for anyone, Mitrione/Kongo?

* Guillard/Dunham: Guillard marches on! Whenever Guillard fights there's a chance he'll land a bomb and that's exactly what happened. I thought the longer it would go it was benefit Dunham but Melvin never let him get going. He attacked early and when Dunham was hurt he finished decisively...great performance. Guillard can't be far from a title shot, i think after Pettis/Guida there's Guillard...but he's gonna need another fight before, so who's up for Guilled/Sherk? if he wins that he can make a legit claim for a shot.

Woke up for Mitrione. Another really strong showing from him. Amazing that he came across as a pussy and a twat in the UF house and yet appears to be neither. Weird guy.

Yes. When Mitrione left the house, I hoped he got beat up big time by Marcus Jones, but that dude is good, and is very likable ever since TUF.

* Beltran/Barry: i enjoyed the fuck outta this, but was i the only one that scored the fight for Beltran? i thought he won the first two rounds and i had him winning 3 until the eye poke and subsequent beat-down.

I was surprised as hell that Barry got a 30-27. I scored it 29-28 in favour of Beltran. As you said, he seemed to be controlling the fight up against the cage and was turning the fight into a brawl when he got the chance. All up until the eye poke and leg destroying.

I also pegged that fight as fight of the night too

Woke up for Mitrione. Another really strong showing from him. Amazing that he came across as a pussy and a twat in the UF house and yet appears to be neither. Weird guy.

Yes. When Mitrione left the house, I hoped he got beat up big time by Marcus Jones, but that dude is good, and is very likable ever since TUF.

* Beltran/Barry: i enjoyed the fuck outta this, but was i the only one that scored the fight for Beltran? i thought he won the first two rounds and i had him winning 3 until the eye poke and subsequent beat-down.

I was surprised as hell that Barry got a 30-27. I scored it 29-28 in favour of Beltran. As you said, he seemed to be controlling the fight up against the cage and was turning the fight into a brawl when he got the chance. All up until the eye poke and leg destroying.

Agree on both counts.

Mitrione is fun to watch. But who next? I think Brendan Schaub would be a good shout. Both guys like it standing, plus you can play off the whole TUF 10 angle.

I had it 29-28 to Beltran aswell, I honestly don't know what that judge was thinking with 30-27 Barry - just like the Judge who actually gave Cole Miller a round against Wiman.

Tim Hague has said he is seriously thinking about trying to cut to 205.

This is cool - Hague, Barry, Beltran & Mitrione partied together after the show:

2qd7jo8.jpg

Always amazes me that these guys can go from punching and kicking each other to hell to having a good time together in the space of an hour.

I'd actually forgot about it, but someone mentioned that if Jon Madsen wins his next fight, him vs Mitrione could be an option, seeing as Mitrione offered to fight him in TUF10 despite being on the same team

• Paid Members

Madsen's the darkhorse at heavyweight for me. He's got some serious power in his hands, but he's got that strong wrestling base that he can always revert back too, and once he's on top of you he's proven he's pretty hard to shift. I'd fancy over Madsen over Mitrione.

Archived