Sky Atlantic - New channel starting in February

Zebra Kid Mark

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm looking forward to How To Make It In America. I caught a few episodes of it when I was in the states last year and was really getting into it, so hoped somebody would pick it up over here.

• Paid Members
I'm looking forward to How To Make It In America. I caught a few episodes of it when I was in the states last year and was really getting into it, so hoped somebody would pick it up over here.

I really enjoyed it but theres only 8 eps. To make it worst HBO has not even started filming season 2.

• Paid Members
Was Oz shot/mastered in HD? Seems too old.

Yeah. But don't Sky also advertise films from the like, the 50s in HD?

That's what I was thinking.

I think it's that stuff recorded on tape has a fixed number of pixels/resolution and can't be improved. Stuff on film isn't broken down into pixels as such, and standard def TV never showed it to its best potential. Even really old stuff was shot to fill a huge cinema screen, so once you shrink it down to TV size, there's room for improvement as the TV set resolution increases.

If it was shot on film as opposed to video it could be shown in HD with a bit of mastering.

It probably wouldn't be, though. A lot of TV stuff was shot on 16mm film over the years, but telecined and only ever cut/mastered in SD video. It'd have to be re-edited from the original reels, and it's usually not worth the time or money to go through such an extensive process. And that's if the reels still exist. I suppose they could just do a dodgy upscale to 720p and pretend, mind.

• Paid Members
If it was shot on film as opposed to video it could be shown in HD with a bit of mastering.

It probably wouldn't be, though. A lot of TV stuff was shot on 16mm film over the years, but telecined and only ever cut/mastered in SD video. It'd have to be re-edited from the original reels, and it's usually not worth the time or money to go through such an extensive process. And that's if the reels still exist. I suppose they could just do a dodgy upscale to 720p and pretend, mind.

If you press the Info button on Sky a box comes up on the screen, if the program is in full HD is should have a "HD" on the top right hand side of the box, Allot of things on the Sky HD channels are just upscaled and once you press the info button you see its not listed as full HD.

• Paid Members

If you press the Info button on Sky a box comes up on the screen, if the program is in full HD is should have a "HD" on the top right hand side of the box, Allot of things on the Sky HD channels are just upscaled and once you press the info button you see its not listed as full HD.

The easier way is that there is an option in the Set up menu to select Display HD programmes. This basically changes everything in the TV Guide to orange as opposed to white if the programme is in HD.

It's nothing to do with 4:3 or 16:9 I just don't think The Wire would hold up to being scanned in HD. Same problem for multiple UK shows shot on Super 16. Probably end up a grainy mess. Lots of shots are very dark. Plus the cost of re-editing of course.

Never seen The Sopranos so that's something else to look forward to as well as Treme, after I get over the fact its Bunk playing a trumpet ;)

Archived