Central London prepares for 2-Day British Wrestling Extravaganza

FWAUK.com

It's FWA.

It appears there recent policy is not to attract any attention from wrestling fans, aiming instead for the casuals, on-lookers and mere passers by. And they're certainly not interested in putting on paid shows these days.

I get why they're doing it, for any and all PR purposes..... They just seem to be doing it so very wrongly.

It's FWA.

It appears there recent policy is not to attract any attention from wrestling fans, aiming instead for the casuals, on-lookers and mere passers by. And they're certainly not interested in putting on paid shows these days.

I get why they're doing it, for any and all PR purposes..... They just seem to be doing it so very wrongly.

Well said. I lost my patience a long time ago with the fwa, mainly due to the lack of announcements and info leading up to european uprising. Cant say i regrett not going thought given how it turned out. I also dont understand the seemingly permanent move to wolves. It cant be that hard to come up with a strategy to attract new fans/casuals and not just totally ignore your existing fans, old fans and the internet crowd altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll save the reviews as I'm biased, but I will say the place looked great, the crowd was mental all night and the show absolutely rocked.

Mark Haskins beat Lion Kid. Johnny Storm was guest time keeper. Haskins challenged him after the match to a match on night 2.

The Agenda beat Sha Samuals and Nick Reilly. Sha knocked out Joel after the match and challenged him and his glass jaw to a match on night 2.

El Ligero beat "The Bollywood Dream" RJ Singh and "The Showstealer" Nathan Cruiz in a triple threat match.

Xander Cooper beat Axel Rage and Shane Spyral in a triple threat ladder match.

The Ascension beat Zack Diamond.

The beatdown continue after the bell, Leroy Kincade's music hit and he came out onto the ramp way.

The Ascension brought out Stixx and the match started on the ramp.

Leroy Kincade beat "The Heavyweight House of Pain" Stixx.

The Agenda ran out after to beat up Leroy and almost hang him with Stixx's chain, only to be stopped by the Resistance and chased away.

• Paid Members
So this was actually underground, yes?

Any pics?

Not quite, although it had a feeling of it. It was underneath the railway arches at London Bridge. It had a very urban, almost industrial feel. It was one of the best looking events I've seen in British Wrestling (although personally, I feel it could have been enhanced by toning down the lighting a little bit, and playing up the unusual setting a little more, but that's a minor point).

The crowd seemed up for it, and it was mostly a pretty cool crowd. It honestly felt that this had some appeal to a non-wrestling audience. It was certainly the best dressed and coolest audience I've seen at an event - and didn't seem to be put off by four quid cans of carlsberg. Basically, it was a pretty cool venue, and the audience didn't seem out of place for it. I'd guess that it was half wrestling fans and half non-wrestling fans.

There were no empty seats in the first half that I could see, and there were a small percentage who left during the interval. It was still a pretty full crowd by the end.

I haven't seen a lot of the wrestlers before (I used to be involved with the FWA back in 05), but the standout for me was Mark Haskins. He was bloody superb, with a great look. The most popular with the crowd, by far, was El Ligero.

It could have done with some explanation for new attendees (Red card = obviously a DQ...oh.). I don't know if an FWA countout is still 20, but the crowd were enthusiastically counting at one point, and I think an 11 count would have really thrown people. That said, most of the heels/faces were obvious, so the crowd didn't seem to be lost. The only one who confused people was RJ Singh - his entrance and his look are, frankly, fucking cool. People were up for cheering him, if they'd been allowed to.

As it was, the crowd were up for it, and seemed to have a good time. I ended up spending most of the night chatting to a pair of American MA and PHD students, who were having a whale of a time. If there's ANY chance of them using this venue more regularly, Alex should do whatever it takes. It really felt like something that could take off over time. It needs some tweaking, but I could see this becoming quite a popular thing in London.

Another fantastic night, my brain is slightly muddled so here are what I believe the results were;

RJ Singh bt The Lion Kid and Nick Riley

Sha Samuels and Joel Redman ended in a DQ after intererence from Iestyn Rees

Xander Cooper and Shane Spyral bt Axel Rage and Zack Gibson

Johnny Storm bt Mark Haskins

Leroy kincaide and Sha Samuel s bt Rees and Redman

Great crowd possibly better than night 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the build up to FWA Season 2, watch the new full HD, "This is the only the Begining" Trailer for BritWres-Fest 2011. Run in conjunction with multimillion pound partners Ideastap and The Old Vic and taking place in the heart of the Nation's Capital at London Bridge, BritWres-Fest was the start of something truely monumental for British Wrestling. The full events will be available soon free to view at www.fwauk.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived