Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said Cena for months, but I'm now being swayed towards Punk. I think he will win it in a simular way to Orton a few years back. Leaving it down to maybe Otunga, Gabriel, Punk & Cena. With Punk stealing the win at the last minute.

Also think that HHH will return, but would prefer him to just take himself and Sheamus out and brawl to the back.

Suprise entrant - Please let it be Kong!

• Paid Members

I can see the 2004 Rumble angle with Undertakers gong being repeated. I hope not though.

The Flair-Piper, Austin-Bret and I guess Jericho-Edge Rumble scenario happening with Sheamus and Triple H like others have mentioned would obviously be a repeat angle...but you just know it would work tremendously with those two in the respective roles.

Despite what I've said in other threads, Lawler winning would be kind of awesome and have a great story to lead into Wrestlemania. He should definitely be in it and survive toward the end.

This years Rumble really would be a great opportunity to elevate and establish someone not already considered a bona-fide star more than any other as with how the current WWE landscape looks and current storylines doesn't necessitate any of the current main event crew (almost all previous winners) winning it.

reckon we'll get any surprise entrants this year?

Not a surprise entry but probable return of Khali at it

Oh God I hope not!!

He's just finishing the Indian version of Big Brother - Bigg Boss where he's made the final 4 and is known as Khali the great so timing would be good for him to come back.

Whatever happens we need to see a mid cardish heel come in early and survive for ages a la Dibiase in 1990 or The Rock in 1998. It's one of my favourite staples of the Royal Rumble and it hasn't been done in ages.

Last years Rumble was terrible. Nobody seemed to last longer than 10 minutes.

Whatever happens we need to see a mid cardish heel come in early and survive for ages a la Dibiase in 1990 or The Rock in 1998. It's one of my favourite staples of the Royal Rumble and it hasn't been done in ages.

Except Punk who lasted ages...

...and Shawn Michaels...

...and Batista...

This years Rumble really would be a great opportunity to elevate and establish someone not already considered a bona-fide star more than any other as with how the current WWE landscape looks and current storylines doesn't necessitate any of the current main event crew (almost all previous winners) winning it.

There's nobody in that position though really, is there? It'd just be the same as the Punk (2008)/Swagger/Sheamus title wins, weirdly abrupt elevation that people don't necessarily respond to. Morrison's probably the best bet for it though, given his performances the past couple of months. Generally he'd die on his arse trying to build up a WrestleMania main event (or any match ever) but his best times were when he was playing off Miz, so it could work in this instance. I'd definitely take that over Orton beating Miz and Cena winning the Rumble so they can have their final, ultimate, we-mean-it-this-time, climactic battle.

Except Punk who lasted ages...

...and Shawn Michaels...

...and Batista...

Oh aye yeah

Punk lasted 10 minutes and 4 seconds whilst Batista was in there for a mammoth 5 minutes and 24 seconds.

There were no epic efforts last year. The longest person in there was Cena in 22 minutes.

Punk lasted 10 minutes 24secs. I literally just timed it. Combined with the fact that after he eliminated everyone he cut a promo, that makes it a fairly epic effort, especially when you consider the Rumble itself only lasted about 40mins or so.

And my bad, it wasn't Batista that lasted ages, it was Triple H. Lasted nearly 20mins.

Punk lasted 10 minutes 24secs. I literally just timed it. Combined with the fact that after he eliminated everyone he cut a promo, that makes it a fairly epic effort, especially when you consider the Rumble itself only lasted about 40mins or so.

Which is my point. Everyone went out too quickly last year and the Rumble was too short. 10 minutes is never going to be an epic effort in a Royal Rumble match.

It doesn't matter how long you're in if it's boring as sin. If Shelton Benjamin had lasted half an hour last year, nobody would've cared. Punk may have only lasted eleven minutes or so, but I sure as hell remember his stint due to the promo-cutting. Likewise with Shawn Michaels, who probably lasted a similar time but had a fairly epic tenure due to his need to go to WrestleMania. Conversely, Triple H lasted 20mins but I barely remembered it because he did pretty much sod all of note.

I'm sure there'll be someone having some length in there *snigger* this year. I imagine that person will be Dolph Ziggler. Possibly John Morrison or Alberto Del Rio. I'd confidently bet my balls on Dolph having a long stint this year though.

That depends on when he gets his World Title shot.

Archived