Best TV twists/cliffhangers?

LaGoosh

For me, it's got to be the cliffhanger at the end of Season 2 of The West Wing. So stop reading if you want to avoid spoilers.

It's a weird cliffhanger because you already know what's about to happen. It's the fact that the actual moment is denied that's the killer. Earlier in the episode, we've seen a flashback to the moment the Chief of Staff knew that Bartlett would make it to be President. It was when he was asked a tough question, and just before answering, he put his hand in his pocket, looked to the left, and then gave the perfect answer.

Bartlett's had a shitty time. News of his illness has leaked, his wife has been disbarred, he's steeped in scandal and his secretary, one of the people he's closest to, has just died in a car crash. On his way to the press conference, he stops at a church, and (a committed Catholic) walks up to the alter and renounces God, even stubbing out his cigarette on the alter. A storm hits as he goes to the press conference, and nobody has any idea what's going on.

Bartlett walks into the press conference, drenched and pissed off, but apparently feeling a little better about himself. He's promised his wife he won't run for a second term, but he doesn't know if he wants to or not.

He's asked the one question he's avoided for ages.

"Mr President, will you run for a second term?".

He puts his hand in his pocket. He looks to the left. We cut to the Chief of Staff, grabbing a colleagues arm and whispering 'watch THIS!'.

Bartlett opens his mouth -

TO BE CONTINUED.

It doesn't matter that everybody knew how he would answer. That moment is denied to us, and every person watches goes 'Son of a BITCH, NO! Don't end there!'.

Brilliant, brilliant television.

One of my favourite moments ever in TV of all time, Brothers in Arms playing makes it perfect as well, The West Wing was for a time, the very best written thing on tv ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUPDYXQUtwp

What made this special is that the storyline was built up for two years as well, its hard to describe, but a lie that started then just started tumbling down, leading to the final press conference was so fucking good, here was earlier in the episode after his secetary of 30 years was killed in a drunk driving episode, its so fucking good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScv89J6rro...feature=related

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
who shot JR?

This will forever be the greatest cliffhanger in television history. Simply cannot be topped.

One of my favourite twists of recent times comes from the fifth season of The Sopranos, when Adriana tells Christopher that she has been giving information to the FBI. After initially reacting violently, as was Christopher's nature, he comes round to the idea of leaving and goes out for some fresh air and cigarettes. Aidriana phones the Fed's and tells them that Christopher has agreed to their plan, but as she packs her bag she receives a phonecall from Tony, who tells her that Christopher is in hospital after a failed suicide attempt. He sends Silvio around to pick her up and then....BAM! there's this wonderful scene where Sil pulls a distraught Adriana from the car, she crawls away through the leaves as two gunshots ring through the air. Brilliant.

Also as Sil is driving Adriana, she and the viewer start getting suspicious at the same time (well I did anyway). I remember shouting at the screen in surprise. I couldnt believe they took her out.

Great stuff. Her bum will always be remembered. :(

• Paid Members
But i'm also very much a fan of...

2nibj95.jpg

Oh yes, Futurama has some of the best twists going i think. Although you can kind of tell, the twist from benders big score is great. That and the sad twist about frys dog not having a happy life and waiting out in the rain until he died (which we then see in benders big score, bender causes him to be locked in the DOLAMITE!).

Great Stuff.

Archived