22) Creepshow (1982)

24) Perfect Blue (1997)

27) Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

28) A Simple Plan (1998)

31) Sneakers (1992)

32) Paperhouse (1988)

33) The Double Life Of V

• Paid Members

^ That's the one. The ending's a bit iffy but it's well worth 90 minutes of anyone's time. Here's the trailer:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dezQPotEYHU

I'd suggest out of your list the above are not underrated, there are some bonafide classics in there. Scrooged is an Xmas classic for many, The Burbs has something of more than a cult following. Many hold up Con Air as being the perfect action film and will argue about that and The Rock until Doomsday. Roger and Me is always pimped in film mags, film circles and others as being fantastic. Predator is quoted the fuck out and loved by people of a certain age, Predator 2 is also much loved. I fucking hate Perfect Blue, have seen it several times now. everyone else who I know who has seen it raved about it and again was reviewed well on its release though. Fright Night is being remade afaik and is an 1980's classic. The Andromeda Strain, Southern Comfort, Manhattan Murder Mystery, The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974), War Games, A Simple Plan, Sneakers, Buffalo Soldiers. Lone Star and so on, have won/been loads of awards, been always held in good/great regards either by critics/peers or both. Alien 3 has only been savaged in the press afaik I know plenty of people who like it, me included . I could go on but have stuff to do

Ergo, amongst your list these are films that are already loved/well regarded/ recognised/well reviewed/award winnners/nominees and therefore not underrated. I agree with City of Lost Children being underated. Didnt review particularly well, very niche film, fantastically shot and should get a much wider audience.

PS You like your Peter Hyams, John Carpenter and Walter Hill flicks dont you? When they are good they are very very good cant argue with their greatness when it works

PPS Loving the Alien/Predator connections that run through out your list Walter Hill, Jean Luc Jenet, David Fincher, Sonny Landham, Dominque Pinon et al

My point was that many of the films you listed could be criticised in much the same way that many of the films on my list could be criticised and, as I mentioned before, it was a list I cobbled together for a site and I didn't put a great deal of thought into it.

I'm a big Hyams/Hill/Carpenter fan, certainly. I think the thing I like about their films too is that even their 'failures' often have something interesting in them and that they all have classics behind them that are ignored behind their higher profile efforts (for Carpenter it would be Prince Of Darkness, for Hyams it would be Outland, for Hill it would be Trespass).

I can't deny my Alien/Predator series and alumni love, certainly, but I gave up once they completely fudged the Alien vs Predator premise.

• Paid Members
Good shout on Tremors - fantastic film.

"Roger that Burt, and congratulations. Be advised, however, that there are two more, repeat, two more motherhumpers!"

Came in here to post about Tremors. The first 2 films are in my all time favourites and I tend to judge people on what they think of them or if they even know them.

• Paid Members

Another one that's likely on the side of "not that great but worth a watch", especially for this forum would be Buy And Cell.

Nothing stand out except for the only reason I picked it up. Rowdy Roddy Piper is in it. If that's not worth picking it up from a discount bin (or charity store in my case) I don't know what is.

My point was that many of the films you listed could be criticised in much the same way that many of the films on my list could be criticised and, as I mentioned before, it was a list I cobbled together for a site and I didn't put a great deal of thought into it.

I'm a big Hyams/Hill/Carpenter fan, certainly. I think the thing I like about their films too is that even their 'failures' often have something interesting in them and that they all have classics behind them that are ignored behind their higher profile efforts (for Carpenter it would be Prince Of Darkness, for Hyams it would be Outland, for Hill it would be Trespass).

I can't deny my Alien/Predator series and alumni love, certainly, but I gave up once they completely fudged the Alien vs Predator premise.

I know they were, hence the end to my original post. People are going to have vastly different ideas of what is and isnt underrated and as such there is always points where people will disagree.

Talking from your list and your film club, the Outland thing was an excellent choice. Id never see it and will whack a review in your film thread when I remember get time to do so. There was also something of a Carpenter retrospective recently in Empire. I rate Vampire$ but it seems many think it's shit for example.

As for the Aliens thing I really need to be able to sit down and rewatch the originals. Ive said before my dissertation burnt me out somewhat, I even missed them over E4 at Xmas because I dont know if Ill be able to enjoy them again in the same way and its been a decade since I last watched them.

AvsP is shat I'll grant you, AvsP:R is also shat, but has some great set pieces and some very inventive deaths. and is watchable in a "oh, it's on, isnt there anything else better" kind of way.

• Paid Members

Out Of Sight (1998)

Overlooked crime movie with George Clooney. Based on an Elmore Leonard novel and shares similar themes as Jackie Brown (and characters, Michael Keaton turns up playing the same coked up FBI agent), this is more light-hearted but just as fun. Don't be put off by Jennifer Lopez being in it, it's got a cracking supporting cast (Ving Rhames, Steve Zhan, Albert Brooks, Luis Guzman). Hugely enjoyable and flies by.

That really is one of my favourite films, gmoney. And Lopez is scarily good in it, considering how awful she's been in everything else. The sexual chemistry between her and Clooney is palpable. Plus, one of the best soundtracks ever.

Someone mentioned The Postman - dunno about that, but Waterworld is actually pretty good! Very entertaining, well put together, with a suitably scenery-chewing performance from Dennis Hopper. Put it this way, it's about 10 times as good as Titanic.

• Paid Members

Out Of Sight is fantastic and you're right about the cast, gmoney. I think Steve Zahn is one of the very best supporting actors in America right now - he never lets any film down and he's especially great in Roadkill and Shattered Glass. Clooney and Lopez are absolutely amazing in it too, they clearly are gagging for a proper shag with each other.

By the way, I mention Shattered Glass there - great film too. Hayden Christensen puts in a performance that you would never have guessed he could have produced from the dismal Star Wars efforts, and the support cast is great here too - Zahn, Rosario Dawson, Chloe Sevigny, Hank Azaria and others.

• Paid Members
Someone mentioned The Postman - dunno about that, but Waterworld is actually pretty good! Very entertaining, well put together, with a suitably scenery-chewing performance from Dennis Hopper. Put it this way, it's about 10 times as good as Titanic

Titanic and waterworld were dreadful. Saying waterworld is better is like saying being raped to death is better than being raped close to death and then dieing of aids.

Thats just my view mind, I may be alone on that.

By the way, I mention Shattered Glass there - great film too. Hayden Christensen puts in a performance that you would never have guessed he could have produced from the dismal Star Wars efforts, and the support cast is great here too - Zahn, Rosario Dawson, Chloe Sevigny, Hank Azaria and others.

Got that film too. I think the film is tremendous and everyone puts in a grand performance. It's a very good story too, but then it would be in any circumstances. Subtle and very good.

Just thinking of a film I saw a couple of years ago, it ws called a Million Dollar Hotel with Mel Gibson. There's a murder in a run down slum of a hotel full of freaks, losers and drug addicts. Gibson comes in as a nutjob cop with a metal neck. I can't remember much more but theres a love story and it just looked cool.

• Paid Members

"Dressed to Kill" has been on the last few days on TCM. Decent film.

I have another choice. This is an utterly depressing film, but still decent..

"Rush"

a01e017b42a0f84af36f2210.L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A female undercover cop involved in the drugs scene becomes too engrossed in her role and finishes up a victim. Featuring a soundtrack by Eric Clapton.

Archived