Lesser-Known films YOU like!

bAzTNM#1

I'm a bit confused. Many of the films noted aren't underrated at all

Sneakers, Big Trouble in Little China, Much of Gladstone's list, True Lies, Assault on Precinct 13 (Carpenter's version) and so on are either cult classic's or already deemed as being good, even Hudson Hawk seems only to be panned in the mainstream press these days, with plenty of people seeing it as a semi decent actioner ( "I must speak with the Dolphins Nee Hee Hee, Nee Hee Hee" and

and so on.) Its flop status in terms of money recouped, being used as confirmation that the film is rubbish as opposed you, know actually watching it. Heck Last Boy Scout was reviewed in Empire recently as something of a 4 Star/5 star release on Blu Ray.

Underrated could include Reign of Fire, 1941, Equilibrium, Moon Trap, Ghost Dog, Go!, Dead Presidents, Cop Land, Bringing out the Dead, Ronin, Matchstick Men. Ordinary Decent Criminal, Without a Clue, Cube, The City of Lost Children, Office Space, Pieces of April, Arlington Road, Mystery Men, Airheads, The Fantastic Four, The Great Outdoors, That Thing You Do and so on.

But again, people will have no problems finding fault with that either. Damn subjectivity!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Underrated could include Reign of Fire, 1941, Equilibrium, Moon Trap, Ghost Dog, Go!, Dead Presidents, Cop Land, Bringing out the Dead, Ronin, Matchstick Men. Ordinary Decent Criminal, Without a Clue, Cube, The City of Lost Children, Office Space, Pieces of April, Arlington Road, Mystery Men, Airheads, The Fantastic Four, The Great Outdoors, That Thing You Do and so on.

But again, people will have no problems finding fault with that either. Damn subjectivity!

Indeed. I think Office Space is one of the most overrated films of all time. Though that reminds me, I need to watch Extract.

Underrated films that I like:

Green Street

Highlander 4: Endgame

Freddie Got Fingered

I wouldn't really say they count as underrated though because they're kind of total shit, but I do like them. I'd also tentatively nominate a couple of films I really liked during my Christopher Lambert fan days when I was about fourteen - Gunmen and Fortress. Haven't seen Gunmen at all since, seen bits of Fortress on telly. Delightful rubbish.

• Paid Members
I'm a bit confused. Many of the films noted aren't underrated at all

Equilibrium, Ghost Dog, Go!, Dead Presidents, Cop Land, Matchstick Men. Cube, The City of Lost Children, Office Space, Mystery Men, That Thing You Do

And these are?

• Paid Members

You're a terrible person. Anne Ramsey is amazing in it amongst other things.

Speaking of which, there are a whole bunch of underrated Clint Eastwood films. Any Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can are still hilarious, I watched them non-stop as a kid. All of the Dirty Harry sequels were unfairly panned, especially Magnum Force and The Dead Pool, plus The Beguiled is one of his very best films and doesn't get enough recognition. The Gauntlet and Heartbreak Ridge are fantastic too.

Every film has its fanbase, so it's hard to say what's underrated and what's not.

I have a great like for well-made B movies, and so I probably have more love for films like Lake Placid, The Relic, Deep Rising, Rogue than most people.

Deep Rising in particular has the greatest ending in film history.

Other films that don't get much mention but I adore, are Hardware and Dust Devil, both by British director Richard Stanley, and both available now on DVD. They are two of the finest horror movies you'll ever see, and Stanley probably should have become a huge Hollywood director ala Ridley Scott, but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way, probably because he's a pretty odd fish.

• Paid Members

I love those monster movies too. Stuff like Tremors and the older films like Them! and Alligator are more than just great fun too. I would probably put The Mist in a similar category as well.

I think there have been a fair few films released straight to video (or DVD) over the years that patently deserved a theatrical release. Retroactive, for instance, is an awesome film - James Belushi is fantastic in it - and I still don't know why Dead Snow didn't make it to cinemas either.

• Paid Members
I love those monster movies too. Stuff like Tremors and the older films like Them! and Alligator are more than just great fun too. I would probably put The Mist in a similar category as well.

I think there have been a fair few films released straight to video (or DVD) over the years that patently deserved a theatrical release. Retroactive, for instance, is an awesome film - James Belushi is fantastic in it - and I still don't know why Dead Snow didn't make it to cinemas either.

Agreed about the monster movies, seems to be a genre thats not been succesful since the early 80's 'Q The Winged Serpent' was another great one

• Paid Members
Good shout on Tremors - fantastic film.

I think there's a difference to be drawn between 'crap films you like' and actually underrated good films. Action Jackson falls on the side of 'crap films that are fun'.

I think that's where people are misunderstanding the thread. For instance, I love Friday The 13th Part 8 and Graveyard Shift, but I know they're both complete turd.

• Paid Members

Just remembered about 'The Keep' A really, really good slow burner, beautifully made and a great cast (which was ruined by some shonky effects towards the end) I think it was Michael Manns first film. Don't think its ever been released on DVD but there's still VHS copies of it floating around online

• Paid Members

I'd have to agree with "saxongb" with "Running Scared". Excellent buddy-cop movie.

Another one of Gregory Hines' films I particularly like is "White Nights". It's you're typical Eighties Russian Guy (Ballet Dancer, Mikhail Barishnikov) trying to defect to the West and Gregory Hines helps him on his way, as he betrayed the US, but wants back. Excellent soundtrack too, with tunes from Phil Collins and Lionel Ritchie in there.

41bRESToydL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I always felt Hines was underrated. RIP.

Archived