Lesser-Known films YOU like!

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Right, this topic is all about all of those films that you might have missed at the cinema or TV. It's dedicated to those ones that you feel are quite decent, but nobody else has heard of them. Right, here are some quick choices..

Swimming with Sharks - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_with_sharks

"Guy (Frank Whaley), a recent film-school graduate with big ideas, takes a job as assistant to major studio executive Buddy Ackerman (Kevin Spacey), he believes his ship has finally come in; little does he know it's a slave ship, for his boss is indeed worse than a slave driver".

Exorcist 3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcist_III

"The film centers around the philosophical Lieutenant William F. Kinderman from the first film, investigating a baffling series of murders in Georgetown that appear to have a satanic motive behind them and furthermore have all the hallmarks of "The Gemini", a deceased serial killer."

Love this. Incredibly creepy and probably the last big performance from George C. Scott. Made in 1990.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Christmas,_Mr._Lawrence

"Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence" is an absolute BEAST of a film too. Great film, great soundtrack and a stunningly great acting job by Bowie. You must watch that as well.

What about you guys? Thanks!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A personal list I did for some website about 5 years ago on this very subject:-

1) Lake Placid (1999)

2) Deep Rising (1998)

3) The Last Great Wilderness (2002)

4) Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

5) Changing Lanes (2002)

6) Midnight Run (1988)

7) The Taking Of Pelham 123 (1974)

8) City On Fire (1987)

9) The City Of Lost Children (1995)

10) The Ghost And The Darkness (1996)

11) Chungking Express (1994)

12) Last Night (1998)

13) Electric Dreams (1984)

14) War Games (1983)

15) Alien 3 (1992)

16) The Last Supper (1995)

17) Lone Star (1996)

18) Outland (1981)

19) Defence Of The Realm (1985)

20) Detour (1945)

21) Dead Of Night (1945)

22) Creepshow (1982)

23) Bus 44 (2001)

24) Perfect Blue (1997)

25) The Pledge (2001)

26) Roadkill (or Joy Ride) (2001)

27) Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

28) A Simple Plan (1998)

29) Red Rock West (1992)

30) Kill Me Again (1989)

31) Sneakers (1992)

32) Paperhouse (1988)

33) The Double Life Of V

• Paid Members

Two movies that are obviously done on the cheap, but are still rather good.

The Langoliers.

Based off the Steven King short story of the same name, it's a pretty damned cheesy affair of a group of people on a plane who fall asleep, and wake up with everyone (but those who were sleep) completely gone.

Something to look out for is them looking out of the plane window and pointing out how there's no life down there... as a car passes by.

Despite that glaring error, the movie is pretty good, and well worth a watch if you can find it cheap (or catch it on TV).

Series 7: The Contenders.

Normally found in Poundland on video rather than DVD. The general basis of the movie is 5 people randomly chosen out of everyone in the country, over the age of 18, to be in a reality show, along with the previous series' winner (win 3 times and you get to leave the show outright). The only way to win is to kill all the competition.

It's just completely fucked up as a premise, but somehow works.

• Paid Members
80) School Of Rock (2003)

I love School of Rock with all my heart but is it Underrated?

Good shouts on Open Range and Chunking Express though :thumbsup:

Half of them are probably not underrated, but it did the job, so I don't care!

True Lies

It's got all the usual staples of an Arnie film, great action, cheesy one-liners and a daft plot. But then you've got added bonuses like Jamie-Lee Curtis getting her kit off, Bill Paxton stealing every scene he's in, Tom Arnold actually being funny and Charlton Heston... well just being Charlton Heston. It's easily my favourite Arnie film of all time.

assault on precinct 13 the 1976 version, its SO cheesy its brilliant. You can see where they used stop motion, the dodgy soundtrack and shady acting. Fecking love it even the intro theme it reeks of awesomeness listen

its just one guy on his keyboard the whole way through

Archived