Could WWE Had Stolen Samoa Joe From TNA?

WWEFan1980

Don't get me wrong I like Samoa Joe but he would add absolutely nothing to wwe. TNA messed him up completely, he was the baddest (i.e - badass) wrestler for a long while in TNA, then they didn't put the belt on him and he faded away, then Angle came along and we though that would save him, but after that he is just a big podgy mess that isn't even all that good anymore. I'm sure the WWE Universe wouldn't really take to him either, I reckon that sort of Samoan Submission Machine gimmick thing would be too much like Tazz, and he'd have to be heel, and honestly, nobody takes chubby heel Joe seriously.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Look what happened to Low-Ki, he seemed to get himself over & got fired.

Not only was he never over (I saw him live and he got less of a reaction than people like Drew McIntyre), but he didn't get fired. He asked for his release.

Joe's always been WAY over-rated in my opinion.

Maybe I've just never "got" him, but I've never seen the appeal.

I find that hard to believe. He's got tits, after all.

Ki was starting to get himself over. The crowd were definitely starting to respond to his unusual moves and style, on NXT certainly. After a few weeks of hard jobbing to nobodies on Smackdown though, the fans clearly realized there was no point getting interested in someone who was clearly being buried.

His PPV match with Ziggler was pretty damn good and considering the crowd didn't respond at all when Ki came out, they were hugely into it by the end - based entirely on the great work they both did during the match.

Even half a fucking push and Kaval could have been a solid mid-card/IC level talent, but they decided to bury him instead.

Can't blame the bloke for saying 'fuck it' and leaving.

• Paid Members

I think there would be too much similarity between Joe and Tazz to the casual mainstream fan, similar build, suplex machine, take no shit attitude.

WWE brought in Tazz, Within 10 years he is a commentator on TNA after a chunky spell as a commentator in WWE. I like Joe, and i liked Tazz, but for whatever reason, it just wouldn't really work.

He adds nothing to TNA, so I doubt WWE would have any use for him. He hasn't been worth anyone's time since he stopped feuding with Angle, got really fat and lazy and stopped getting pushed.

He actually got injured, and put on a little weight.

And can you blame him for laziness, with those clowns in charge of TNA?

Joe hasn't been pushed properly for over 2 and a half years, not since April 2008 and his cage match with Angle.

The goofy facepaint tattoo.... the mystery kidnapping and release, never explained.... Joe has been the most misused piece of talent in the business during this time.

He put it on, but never bothered to take it back off. There's your answer to why TNA never pushed him properly. Why would they?.

The kidnapping thing was obviously TNA's fault for never explaining it, but Joe has had plenty of chances. There have been much much worse gimmicks that the wrestlers have managed to get over.

They stopped pushing him long before he put on a little extra weight.

Joe vs Angle at Lockdown 2008 remains TNA's highest drawing ppv ever, with the MMA-style build and worked-MMA-style match. 55,000 buys.

Some 2010 TNA ppvs in May and June supposedly did as low as 8,000 buys, so that's far more of an indictment of TNA's rampant misuse of talent such as Joe, than the idea that Joe himself isn't capable of drawing.

They didn't though did they?. They had Tazz come in and manage him in 2009, and he was going over Sting clean. He won the X-Division Title and successfully defended it, and was main eventing against the MEM. It wasn't until the kidnapping thing that they stopped pushing him, and even then it was meant to be a push. That was in 2010 too.

He put the weight on when he came back from the kidnapping thing and that's when he stopped getting pushed.

Do you seriously regard that as a good use of Samoa Joe?

As someone else has since posted, the Taz thing was a swerve.

The goofy Nation of Violence, the kidnapping, the disappearance, the reappearance.... they have f***ed Joe about something royally over the past 18 months to 2 years.

If TNA was a serious wrestling promotion, Joe would be in the main events either as TNA World Champion or fighting for the title. Last time he was, and being properly pushed, they were drawing their all-time record buyrates. Now they have Hardy/Morgan/Anderson, and they're lucky to do a 1/5th of that figure.

It's inarguable how they've misused Joe.

• Paid Members
He adds nothing to TNA, so I doubt WWE would have any use for him. He hasn't been worth anyone's time since he stopped feuding with Angle, got really fat and lazy and stopped getting pushed.

Joe hasn't been pushed properly for over 2 and a half years, not since April 2008 and his cage match with Angle.

The goofy facepaint tattoo.... the mystery kidnapping and release, never explained.... Joe has been the most misused piece of talent in the business during this time.

He put it on, but never bothered to take it back off. There's your answer to why TNA never pushed him properly. Why would they?.

The kidnapping thing was obviously TNA's fault for never explaining it, but Joe has had plenty of chances. There have been much much worse gimmicks that the wrestlers have managed to get over.

Joe vs Angle at Lockdown 2008 remains TNA's highest drawing ppv ever, with the MMA-style build and worked-MMA-style match. 55,000 buys.

Some 2010 TNA ppvs in May and June supposedly did as low as 8,000 buys, so that's far more of an indictment of TNA's rampant misuse of talent such as Joe, than the idea that Joe himself isn't capable of drawing.

They didn't though did they?. They had Tazz come in and manage him in 2009, and he was going over Sting clean. He won the X-Division Title and successfully defended it, and was main eventing against the MEM. It wasn't until the kidnapping thing that they stopped pushing him, and even then it was meant to be a push. That was in 2010 too.

He put the weight on when he came back from the kidnapping thing and that's when he stopped getting pushed.

The goofy Nation of Violence, the kidnapping, the disappearance, the reappearance.... they have f***ed Joe about something royally over the past 18 months to 2 years.

If TNA was a serious wrestling promotion, Joe would be in the main events either as TNA World Champion or fighting for the title. Last time he was, and being properly pushed, they were drawing their all-time record buyrates. Now they have Hardy/Morgan/Anderson, and they're lucky to do a 1/5th of that figure.

It is inarguable, but it's still because he got fat. You don't lose your belt to Amazing Red for no reason. Joe got fat when he was in NOV and lazy, TNA punished him.

I think there would be too much similarity between Joe and Tazz to the casual mainstream fan, similar build, suplex machine, take no shit attitude.

WWE brought in Tazz, Within 10 years he is a commentator on TNA after a chunky spell as a commentator in WWE. I like Joe, and i liked Tazz, but for whatever reason, it just wouldn't really work.

Funnily enough I was gonna use that analogy in my earlier post.

Taz was over like a mother fucker in ECW, and initially was in WWE too but eventually started being "mis-used" while everyone was saying "He's really good. He should be world champion" etc etc.

No. Taz was a big fish in a small pond. So was Samoa Joe. In the big league world of WWE he would be totally exposed in my opinion.

In TNA he got away with it for years because TNA was essentially a glorified indy. Now there are "real" stars in the company to compare him to, it exposes his act as minor league wank-fodder and nothing more.

• Paid Members
His PPV match with Ziggler was pretty damn good and considering the crowd didn't respond at all when Ki came out, they were hugely into it by the end - based entirely on the great work they both did during the match.

You mean that match where he had no regard for safety and belted Dolph straight in the nose with a kick?

Kaval was too small, dangerous (kicking harder than everyone else does not make you a good wrestler), had less facial charisma than Randy Orton, and wasn't over with the majority of people in the slightest.

• Paid Members

Well TNA desperately want mainstream appeal and maybe they realised that a pushing a wrestler who most casual fans on first sight class as a short fat bloke with skinny girl arms isn't the best use of their time and money.

It is inarguable, but it's still because he got fat. You don't lose your belt to Amazing Red for no reason. Joe got fat when he was in NOV and lazy, TNA punished him.

vince-russo.jpg

LOL Vince Russo runs creative.

Joe wasn't punished 'for being fat'. Joe was booked crap because Russo books crap. End of story.

• Paid Members

Oh there we go. Good to see that being wrong is still countered with the old "Russo did it" argument. I think some sort of internet law should be made similar to that Hitler one.

You mean that match where he had no regard for safety and belted Dolph straight in the nose with a kick?

Kaval was too small, dangerous (kicking harder than everyone else does not make you a good wrestler), had less facial charisma than Randy Orton, and wasn't over with the majority of people in the slightest.

Did you actually watch the match in question?

If so, you'd know that kaval kicked him in the face because he (Ziggler) was out of position. Kaval was going for his hand-spring-kick in the corner (a move he'd done in pretty much every WWE match he'd had thus far) and instead of staying in the corner and waiting for the move, Ziggler had started moving out from the corner - and he got kicked because of it.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your story though!

If you really think Randy Orton has no 'facial charisma' you are thick.

If you couldn't see that the fans were starting to get into Kaval's act (before they started the burial) then you are blind.

Archived