Children's names & how important are they?

Dead Mike

A woman a couple of doors up from me has a daughter called Beyonce!

Around here we've got a Rhiana, Lennon (named after some footballer), Precious and a whole lot more. As I typed that, reading out the thread to my girlfriend, she pointed out there's a Dior too. I don't like to judge, but a lot of the parents are... well, they're not rocket scientists.

I shouldn't complain. My daughters name is Ezri - and I picked it. But that could be the rebellion of both her parents having ordinary names.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I find it crazy how worked up people get over other people not naming their kids "proper names".

Fair enough for the really silly/offensive ones... But some of the reactions that MAT got to naming her son Dyllan on here were fucking ridiculous. People literally went as far as telling her she was ruining his life by giving him a conventional name spelled slightly differently.

I was talking to colleague at work about this the other day (i work in a high school), certain names do seem to have 'trouble' attached to them, every kid named Luke that we have had in the past 4 years has been emotionally fdamaged in some way, strangely, all but one had been sexually abused. Every single girl called Chelsea was either pregnant or had an STD by the time they reached year 11. Any name spelt non traditionally (well they really just spelt incorrectly i.e I currently have a Chelcye in year 9 and a Jhesicka in year 10), sets off alarm bells straight away. The most unique names on my register at the moment are Ophelia (i'm guessing her parents are bg Shakespeare fans) and Eltonio, i have no idea what that name is about but it always makes me smile, both are lovely kids though

• Moderators
Any name spelt non traditionally (well they really just spelt incorrectly i.e I currently have a Chelcye in year 9 and a Jhesicka in year 10), sets off alarm bells straight away.

Alright, I'mma go ahead and be a complete hypocrite from my last post just minutes ago and say that that is a fucking awful bit of naming right there..

Well, there is a huge difference between an extra 'l' in Dyllan and the apparent phonetic spelling of Jessica that Jhes' parents used, the extra 'l' is pretty incidental really, where as the name Jessica was pretty much butchered in the spelling used by Jhes' parents. I have met her parents, and have to say, they are not the brightest people in the world...

• Paid Members
I had a boy in my year at school called Rolly, whose brother was, and I'm not making this up, Glory Be To God.

Are they African, by any chance? The style of using a name to show piety still carries on to some degree over there.

Fortunately, gone are the days where it was relatively common to see children such as "Praise-God Barebone", who was reportedly christened "Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone"

• Paid Members
I'm calling it now that nobody named 'Kai' will ever make a positive contribution to society.

Be fair; it's not their fault that prisoners are no longer allowed to break up rocks and stitch mail bags for the rest of us.

Archived