Children's names & how important are they?

Dead Mike

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely sensible name for a first name followed by ridiculous/indulgent middle name is the way to go.

That's what I did.

I agree with this. My niece was almost called "Princess Sparkle Stewart" (the mother's idea) of all things. Luckily the parents came to a compromise and they finally called her Rose Star Stewart, a good name I think.

I think someone who has an overly ridiculous name, like the one mentioned in the article, can have a negative impact on their future in terms of job prospects and things like that. How likely is it that an employer will look at an application form with the name field containing Adolf Hitler and take it seriously?

Surely sensible name for a first name followed by ridiculous/indulgent middle name is the way to go.

That's what I did.

I agree with this. My niece was almost called "Princess Sparkle Stewart" (the mother's idea) of all things. Luckily the parents came to a compromise and they finally called her Rose Star Stewart, a good name I think.

I think someone who has an overly ridiculous name, like the one mentioned in the article, can have a negative impact on their future in terms of job prospects and things like that. How likely is it that an employer will look at an application form with the name field containing Adolf Hitler and take it seriously?

Or indeed Joseph Stalin? Like when Joey in Friends wanted a new stage name and Chandler suggested that :laugh:

My ex is called Nova. She actually didn't do too badly, as her parents were originally trying to decide between Ginova and Salamander. The rest of her side of the family are pretty similar, in that "creating their own name makes it more special".

My mates sister is called Nova an all, never done her any harm. It's native American in origin iirc, something to do with butterflies

I used to work for a company that looked after the Toys R Us loyalty card a couple of years ago. Lots of chavs went for Jaydens, Braydens, Claydens and Shaydens. Callum, Jack and Jake also seemed very popular with them. For girls, a ridiculously high number of people gave their daughter a variation on May, Mai or Mae for a middle name.

I used to work for a company that looked after the Toys R Us loyalty card a couple of years ago. Lots of chavs went for Jaydens, Braydens, Claydens and Shaydens. Callum, Jack and Jake also seemed very popular with them. For girls, a ridiculously high number of people gave their daughter a variation on May, Mai or Mae for a middle name.

I've got a chav neice who did this recently. I'm not sure of the baby's exact name, but I think it's Kaylie-Mai or something like that (the first half of it is definitely either a made up name or a stupid spelling, anyway). If it was a boy, they were going to call it Armani. Jake and Reece are always names I associate with awful chavs as well.

What's wrong with Alfred? Good, solid British name.

I think it's hard to imagine anyone alive in this century being called it. It's like Cecil or Reginald, or naming girls Maude or Joan.

I think a lot of it comes from Celebrities but for them it doesn't matter quite so much I mean what does it matter if your name is say "Star Bright" if the kid sat next to you is called "Moon Beam" and most of the class has equally odd names.

But then again if odd names are becoming a trend you could say the same for any class what does it matter if your name is stupid if most or at least a lot of other kids in school have them to same can be said for when they start working.

On a side note My brother is called Jake and he's in his 20's but Mum picked it because it was an old fashioned name.

• Awards Moderator

I've got a chav neice who did this recently. I'm not sure of the baby's exact name, but I think it's Kaylie-Mai or something like that (the first half of it is definitely either a made up name or a stupid spelling, anyway). If it was a boy, they were going to call it Armani. Jake and Reece are always names I associate with awful chavs as well.

What's wrong with Alfred? Good, solid British name.

I think it's hard to imagine anyone alive in this century being called it. It's like Cecil or Reginald, or naming girls Maude or Joan.

I think it's about time 'Maude' (or 'Maud') got a renaissance. Good historic sort of name.

oh my brother called his kid Xaviar (pron. Zaviar)

That's how you're supposed to pronounce it. I get annoyed when I hear people referring to "Professor Eksaviour".

I've always hear it pronounced "Zaviay" or "Zabiay" if you happen to be Spanish/Latin American.

• Moderators
oh my brother called his kid Xaviar (pron. Zaviar)

That's how you're supposed to pronounce it. I get annoyed when I hear people referring to "Professor Eksaviour".

That's how Professor X would have his name pronounced though, if the cartoons and movies are anything to go by.

About the kids with stupid names been bullied.

As it appears it's mostly the "Chav" parents who give their kid a stupid name as it's very possible they will grow up just like their parents then it's more likely they will be the bullies than the bullied.

In fact in mostly "chav" areas if a lot of them have stupid names I wouldn't be surprised if it's the kids with normal names like John-James-Emma-Sarah who get bullied for having "old fasioned" names

Going on from that though you do find when bullies grow up their kids are the same when I went to school the worse kids in school were the kids of the gits from when my Mum went and their kids now are mostly little shits I still speak to a teacher (who recently retired) and she was telling me some of the most badly behaved kids were the kids of the worse kids from when I was there.

I'm glad I'll never find out if that's true. Jeez.. The thought of having lived my entire life within the catchment area of one school is awful.

I have moved about 200 miles I speak to the teacher via facebook and the other kids I have heard from other friends via facebook saying how bad (insert name here) kids are

Plus I have added some of the ppl who used to bully me I'm not one to hold a grudge and they do say their kids are in trouble again not that they care it's comes across more as bragging about it.

Archived