Children's names & how important are they?

Dead Mike

• Paid Members
On the name-shortening, I mostly agree with what people are saying <snip>

- but there are names where I think the shortening's fine, because the shortened name is like an entirely different one anyway. <snip>

Kim and Kimberley is another one - I don't like the name Kimberley, but if I should ever have a daughter, I'd be quite happy to call her Kim.

I think that some names are fine in their longer form and don't get in the way, even if a teacher should call them out loud. When I think back to the several Joes that I knew, there was never a problem if a teacher read out the name Joseph from the register. It wasn't the sort of name that would cause people to snigger, and the various Joes wouldn't feel any chagrin. I think the same is true for the various Matts and Chrises who would have the longer versions read out.

On the other hand, mine being read out in its longer form always felt embarrassing, and I would have to make a point of stressing the shorter form. I think it's the case that most chaps with my name feel the same, and I'd have preferred to have the shortened form as the official one. I think the same would be true of this generation's Alfies, who would feel uncomfortable if their names happened really to be Alfred.

Absolutely. Whenever I hear "Christopher" from my betters it's always said as "Christopher, you're in trouble."

My Polish workmate has started calling me "Christ" (as in "Chris-t") for some reason...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if i ever have a boy calling him Jack Daniel would be deemed tacky/wrong then? :rolleyes:

So if i ever have a boy calling him Jack Daniel would be deemed tacky/wrong then? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that would be terrible in my opinion but I know you're not serious thankfully :laugh:

Yeah, that would be terrible in my opinion but I know you're not serious thankfully :laugh:

So if i have a girl no Stella Artois then? :laugh:

So if i have a girl no Stella Artois then? :laugh:

No...Just No!

Loads of Alfies, not many Alfreds. I'm with everybody who hates the name shortening thing. Give your child a proper name! The name I always feel is a handicap is Oliver. It reminds me of snooty social climbing mothers and it shortens terribly.

However, my main pet hate is the name Jack. To quote a former UKFFer, Jack is not a name that is given, it is earned through hard drinking and/or heroic deeds. My granddad was called Jack. His name was actually Albert but he lied about his age to get into the Air Force at 15 and was a tail gunner on a bomber. He could fire all of the guns on the plane to a good standard and filled in where he needed to, earning him the name of Jack, to signify he was the bomber's jack-of-all-trades. That's earning the name. A four-year old tearaway should have a proper fucking name.

A woman a couple of doors up from me has a daughter called Beyonce!

she's done quite well for herself then, released quite a few albums, been in a few films, and has married a very rich man who goes by the name of Jay i believe

:sneaky:

• Paid Members

When I worked at the bowling alley, I had to deal with a rather unpleasent boy from a posh family called Gordon (pronounced "Jordon"). Him criticising people for reading it with a hard G is not going to make his life any easier.

My ex is called Nova. She actually didn't do too badly, as her parents were originally trying to decide between Ginova and Salamander. The rest of her side of the family are pretty similar, in that "creating their own name makes it more special".

The was a child called Lexicon in my Mums old school (where she was a teacher, so still in the last 10-12 years), and one called Angj (pronounced "Ang-jay"), whose name was devised from his/her parents initials.

And someone else who called their baby girl Tia Maria.

Auntie Mary, snigger.

theres a kid a few houses down call CJ, no that's it C followed by the J

oh my brother called his kid Xaviar (pron. Zaviar), as in Professor X, I lol'd. I hate his wife. (but thats a rant in another topic)

my kids will have normal-ish names but i might sneak in a jade/lily type middle name.

Archived