smackdown spoilers

xear

• Paid Members
My only fear is a feud between Dolph and Edge revolving around their relationships to Vickie.

Of course it's going to revolve around Vickie, it'd be shit otherwise. Dolph's still got no particular character and Edge has been total shit for half of the year. Vickie's one of the most reliable performers in wrestling. It'd be fucking nuts for them to just ignore her when trying to make her ex-husband vs her current boyfriend an interesting feud. The entire thing should be predicated on Ziggler now enjoying the same perks and advantages that Edge used to. The shoe's on the other foot for the Ultimate Opportunist and all that.

I just hope he doesn't kidnap her in a wheelchair. Although last time he did that to Vickie, it only lasted a night and was a lot funnier than when he did it to Paul Bearer and it went on for eight months.

As far as I'm concerned the story has been done and I've no desire in seeing it again. They can use this feud to establish a character for Ziggler. Maybe make him have a darker edge. Like Hell is he going to win the title, but this feud could do him a world of good.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Zigglers character has nothing 'dark' about it. It'd be stupid trying to bring something out in the character that either isn't there or doesn't work.

In his early days on Smackdown he took part in a few beat downs that were moderately dark. That's what I mean, rather than a "joker Edge" scenario. Perhaps a frenzied beat down on Edge, with Vickie cheering him on rather than a Big Show/Edge style feud, or even worse, Edge/Kane...

The only other serious option for a title shot is Del Rio, and he's already been promoting himself in the Rumble match.

I think they announcers actually said he is in the Rumble match.

Has their been any changes to WWE creative personnel? It actually felt like a wrestling show rather than a soap opera this week. I thoroughly enjoyed that and hope they continue to go in this direction.

There hasn't been any major changes. The only thing different is that Vince McMahon doesn't have his head filled with other things such as Lindas election campaign. There's been talk that he's more focused in the product than he's been in a long long time. Not to mention Triple H now has some major say with his new position, more than he did before. I think those two things have drastically changed the way the show's are being booked.

I thought they had been some major changes reasonably recently. I thought they fired 5 or 6 guys off the creative team.

As far as I'm concerned the story has been done

It hasn't. Unless you played it in an e-fed or something.

and I've no desire in seeing it again.

I've no desire in seeing a feud based around

"Hi. I'm... Wait, I don't do that introduction thing anymore. Anyway, hello. I like long matches."

"Me too, but I've been a bit shit at them since I came back from my last injury."

"That's okay, I've been surviving off my girlfriend's heat until recently."

"Who's your girlfriend? Oh right, it's..."

"Whoa! We're not supposed to mention her. That bloke on the UKFF wants us to pretend she doesn't exist."

"But wouldn't she be the one thing that would make people care about our feud?"

"Yeah, but..."

"For one thing, she's completely tied to you at the moment so it's going to be distractingly weird if we ignore her. Plus, she'd make the feud a lot more interesting. She's my ex-wife so there's a wealth of material there we could use. You and me both have a history of being very dependent on her, and she'd give you -- a new guy trying to look like a threat against me -- an unfair advantage that might make people question the outcome of our match."

"Ignore all that though. It's been done."

"No it hasn't."

"I know, but we're pretending it has."

"Why?"

"Bloke on UKFF wants us to."

"This isn't the same bloke on the UKFF who said that thing about the Libertines owing their careers to a Harry Potter interview in NME a year after they'd already become famous, is it?"

"Nope. Definitely not."

"Fair enough. Well then, let's talk about RESPECTING THE GOLD! Or something. I could just keep saying my finisher's name? I've done a feud before that had nothing but that."

"How did it go down?"

"Erm..."

"I've got it! Let's not talk about anything. Let's just do some count-outs, DQs and perpetual rematches!"

"Kofi's already put his name down to do them in his next feud though."

"We'll be sound. Count-outs, DQs and perpetual rematches are Teddy's favourites. He can't get enough of 'em."

They can use this feud to establish a character for Ziggler.

Probably best they don't ignore the character that can best facilitate that, like.

• Paid Members
"This isn't the same bloke on the UKFF who said that thing about the Libertines owing their careers to a Harry Potter interview in NME a year after they'd already become famous, is it?"

"Nope. Definitely not."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

POTMC.

• Paid Members

It HAS been done. Not involving Edge/Ziggler, but you've had Big Show/Cena/Edge. This revolved around Vickie. It was shit. Triple H/Edge revolved around Vickie for a good part. Heck, Edge/Vickie dominated the past 3 years of wrestling in a heavy way. I didn't say anything about wanting to see long matches. But even if I did that's personal preference. If Edge/Ziggler revolved around Vickie it'd be a shitty comedy feud, Mark my words. Just because there's a 'wealth of material' doesn't mean it'd be any good.

It HAS been done. Not involving Edge/Ziggler, but you've had Big Show/Cena/Edge. This revolved around Vickie. It was shit. Triple H/Edge revolved around Vickie for a good part. Heck, Edge/Vickie dominated the past 3 years of wrestling in a heavy way. I didn't say anything about wanting to see long matches. But even if I did that's personal preference. If Edge/Ziggler revolved around Vickie it'd be a shitty comedy feud, Mark my words. Just because there's a 'wealth of material' doesn't mean it'd be any good.

Heck?

Excellent show. Watching this back to back with Raw at the weekend it was really interesting to see how they used the exact same formula of very few backstage skits, not a lot of promos or comedy, bookending the show with gimmick matches and having the majority of the show take place in front of the live audience. Both shows followed the same format of blowing off (or appearing to blow-off in the case of Miz/Morrison since I'm less sure on that one) existing feuds to start the new year.

And both shows kicked off the new year for their respective brands with a brawl that went all over the place...

• Paid Members

Lots of in-depth stuff here so I won't add much on a Smackdown I really enjoyed. I just wanted to point out how Drew McIntyre did his best to stand out in that four-way by flying over the top to the floor again and again and again, plus took a wicked bump on the apron courtesy of Show (I think). Good stuff.

It is a format that worked and one they could easily go back to every three months or so when a bunch of programmes are coming to an end at the same time.

I'm not sure about that. It resulted in a good episode of Smackdown, but the road there was often paved with shit -- previous PPVs were very underwhelming due to lack of delivery and sometimes lack of content (like the Mysterio-Alberto feud being dragged out over several elimination tags and multi-man matches). Edge and Kane had the best match of their series, but it wasn't worth the two months of what must be one of the worst main event feuds ever. I think it's easy to be pleased by an episode like this and forget all the missed opportunities and rubbish that it took to get there.

Maybe, yeah. Even though I enjoyed the feud itself that Mysterio/Del Rio feud should have lead to a one-on-one PPV match between them at some point. I think what stood out is that normally when I read there is a two hour show with only five matches on it, it means it was very skit heavy but not here (similar format to this week

Archived