2011's Breakout Stars

Loki

2010 was a pretty good year for new stars in pro wrestling. We had a whole heap of new faces hitting the top of the TNA roster and some fresh matchups, and in WWE guys like Barrett came from nowhere to headline.

So, who's going to explode from the mid-card morass this year?

Watching the last Impact, I was struck again about what a fucking dynamite pro wrestler Robert Roode is. He has the look, the swagger, great technique, and is pretty good at promos as well. He was being pushed as a singles star before Beer Money, and if that team runs its course this year I can see him making the leap into the top of the heavyweight division. He's using the spinebuster as a finisher now too, and hits it beautifully.

Robert Roode is one of those wrestlers I have high hopes for. Unlike most, he hasn't been pushed to the top because he's marketable, a rush job or nothing else. He has been able to grow slowly to know exactly who he is. TNA need to realize this but they need to do something well creatively to give him the final boost needed to split from a tag team.

Knowing TNA they will fuck it up. And if he went to WWE he would have to start all over again before the politics got in the way, and was future endeavored.

WWE is the only place he can go big time, but that won't happen.

Have to go for Daniel Bryan. WWE obviously are high on him, he was probably given the US Title quickly to try and capitalise on his momenum and popularity after "tiegate" but he has so far been in the best match on the card when ever he has been on PPV, and bought the best out of the likes of Miz, Ziggler and Debiase. I expect him to Main Event a PPV some time this year for sure.

WWE wise - I think this year will be make-or-break for John Morrison. I've banged on endlessly before about how much of a star in waiting I've always thought he was, but I reckon this year he'll finally be given the chance to shine and we'll find out for sure whether he's the next Shawn Michaels or the next Shelton Benjamin. Or more likely somewhere in between - but hopefully on the 'HBK' side of the spectrum :p

Barrett will break through properly. Most of the rest of the Nexus will flop once the team splits. Hopefully Gabriel and Husky will go on to do something special. Husky especially deserves a proper shot.

Fingers crossed for Drew McIntyre, I can easily see him doing big things this year if creative get back on track with him. He needs to go back to humiliating TEDDAY! The 'Chosen One' stuff was really good.

Mason Ryan will be brought up and pushed to the fucking moon.

TNA will create no new genuine stars. If they were capable of and serious about that The Pope would be utterly massive by now. It's a shame because earlier in the year everyone from Pope and Anderson down to Eric Young seemed to be making major strides under the new regime, but they've all been taken off the boil to a greater or lesser degree. Matt Morgan will possibly get a title run this year, and Mr. Anderson almost certainly will, but neither of them will actually be any better off for it in the great scheme of things. I can't see either of Beer Money breaking out from the pack. Much as everyone seems to love them as a team (don't see the appeal personally) tagging up has just set them both back in terms of becoming headliners. I see much more potential in Storm than Roode, and I think he has (or had, before they both pretty much stopped doing their individual gimmicks) a genuinely interesting and entertaining character, which is a great rarity in wrestling these days. I hope one day he gets a proper singles run, but I doubt he'll ever be the star he could be.

On the indie circuit, some pale shortarse who wrestles like Chris Benoit will be declared the greatest wrestler in the world.

• Paid Members

I'm 100% behind Del Rio. In terms of breaking out and becomming a star, I'd say he's off to a flier as it is, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him become a regular fixture in the World title picture by the summertime. He's almost faultless both in the ring and as an on-screen character. I expect he may move to Raw in the draft this year, aka the annual stealing of Smackdown talent, and further boost his title credentials. I think an IC or US title run is imminent and that will be the first thing which propels him to superstardom.

Also, I think it could be a big year for Kofi Kingston and I also expect him to go back to Raw at some point. He's having good matches on Smackdown and seems to be improving all the time. He's already very over and is a babyface who isn't difficult to get behind at all. I think he's got the potential to shift some serious merchandise as well, as I'm starting to notice more and more people in the crowds wearing his gear. He's breifly rubbed shoulders with the likes of Orton in the main event scene before, but now with some more experience under his belt I think he's better placed to make more of a name for himself and become a much bigger asset to the company in 2011.

2010 was a pretty good year for new stars in pro wrestling. We had a whole heap of new faces hitting the top of the TNA roster and some fresh matchups, and in WWE guys like Barrett came from nowhere to headline.

So, who's going to explode from the mid-card morass this year?

Watching the last Impact, I was struck again about what a fucking dynamite pro wrestler Robert Roode is. He has the look, the swagger, great technique, and is pretty good at promos as well. He was being pushed as a singles star before Beer Money, and if that team runs its course this year I can see him making the leap into the top of the heavyweight division. He's using the spinebuster as a finisher now too, and hits it beautifully.

What happened to Roode using the Payoff (fisherman suplex)

No one

In WWE you have cena, taker, orton, barrett, miz, Triple H, Shamus, Edge, Jericho, Rey, Big Show, CM Punk and Kane. 4 of those will return from time off in 2011 so can build to a PPV for each of them

Only possibilities are Del Rio, Bryan and maybe Alex Riley in a "pupil turn on teacher" angle towards end of year

In TNA as long as Hogan and Bischoff are there it will be Flair, AJ, Hardy, RVD, Matt Morgan, Jarrett, possibly Doug Williams in a one off shot at Hardy.

I cant see anyone breaking out in TNA with possible exception of Chris Sabin.

WWE wise I think Dolph Ziggler will be holding some form of World Title before the end of the year. If he doesn't there is something wrong with the entire world.

I'd also like to say the same for Drew McIntyre as I really believe him to be something special though obviously that depends on whether or not WWE plan on punishing him for the continuous twitter remarks being made by his wife concerning the company.

Del Rio is a no-brainer of course and will most certainly hold some form of world title this year.

Mason Ryan is an interesting one because we don't know what direction they plan on going in with him as far as character is concerned. I certainly believe he will have a good year but how much of a break out it is is hard to guess. I mean he could debut as a babyface. Dolph Ziggler, McIntyre and Del Rio are all heels (and don't forget you have Kane andd the ever switching Edge too) and SD desperately needs some new babyfaces. But then a jump straight to Raw could help him be seen as more of an immediate star but with Sheamus, Barrett, Punk and of course The Miz do they really want another heel to run with? And the babyface side of Raw has Cena, Orton, HHH so less room to break out that side. Will be interesting to see what way they go with him.

From an Indie perspective things are a bit different because it isn't weekly so how you perform in 2011 actually more so effects where you'll be in 2012. European female wise I fully expect Saraya and Britani Knight to become even more well known stars than they already are. Additionally I see Germany's Alpha Female, 'Portugal's Perfect Athlete' Shanna, The Glamour Gym, Nikki Storm, The Northern Shooters & Rhia O'Rielly becoming more well known & respected names within the industry too though I think any woman looking to raise her game can expect 2011 to lead on to an incredible 2012. I'm personally still amazed none of the major leagues have snapped up Erin Angel although her and Britani Knight continue to be the most well travelled female Professionals & I can only see that trend continuing.

Am i in the minority in thinking Dolph would be nothing without Vickie? Yes he's technically good but take her away and do you have someone who is a main eventer?

I agree but why do they need to take her away? I love her. I genuinely think shes one of the best characters on WWE at the moment.

You might think im mad but i think Tyson Kidd might have a pretty gd year. He's already told Daniel Brian he wants his title and I think the two of them could have some very good matches thus increasing both of their stock.

I'd like to see Curt Hawkins move up to a steady midcard slot and fued. Same with Barretta and Masters actually. Though guys Swagger, Ziggler and Kofi would have to move up a notch to main event to allow that space to open up.

Del Rio, Barrett and I reckon Big Zeke if he finds the right formula could main event on the blue side.

Del Rio. I'd like to say the same for Kofi, Ziggler, Morrison and Bryan but I can just as easily imagine WWE letting them stagnate as make big deals of them. Del Rio is already at the stage now where you can put him against anyone and be uncertain of who'll win, so he's pretty much already there.

• Paid Members

Good call, completely agree. He just seems to "get it", face or heel he has all the mannerisms down perfect, and the timing of his comebacks when Beer Money were faces were a thing of beauty. I'm not sure that they'll split Beer Money this year though.

I'd love to see Chris Masters breakthrough this year as well, but unless WWE have about 20 wrestlers go down to injury he'll still be stuck on Superstars.

Archived