Possible Royal Rumble Spoiler

Smeg_&_The_Heads

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a horrible idea. You'd think they'd have worked out by now after Punk, Sheamus and Swagger that these stupid fucking quickfire title changes get nobody over as main eventers or credible threats to the established stars. A several month-long, uninterrupted title reign (with a decisive PPV victory over Lawler included in that, if you want) would do a thousand times more to establish Miz as a legit world champ than a quick double-switch.

In terms of old blokes winning titles, I'd say it was worse than both Vince and Flair because Lawler's nowhere near as over or relevant as Vince was when he got the title, and he was never pushed in the national companies in the same way Flair was. Even at the peak of his WWF run, he wasn't really presented as anything more than a cowardly gobshite who liked to wind Bret Hart up and took a kicking off William Shatner. Just because he's shown he can still work a bit in one-off matches doesn't mean he should be winning matches that mean anything, otherwise Ricky Steamboat would have been main eventing a couple of years ago.

No, Miz was the only person in that match to not win the ECW Title in that match.

Would I be right in thinking the brian kendrick got a spell as champ? If it was for a short spell in match would get the pop , but give chance for mix to retain

• Paid Members

You would be wrong. Kendrick never held the WWE title for any kind of spell. He did score a pinfall in that match, which never made him WWE champion as the match wasn't over.

I agree with a lot things Magnum said up there. The use of King as a nearly man to instantly dethrone Miz was magnificent and that should remain the story. King has shown he can be a tremendous candidate to put over a heel character and I'd be more than happy for that to continue. I wouldn't be against Lawler finally getting a Wrestlemania match against Miz but I'd want the result to be that Miz puts a dampener on that moment by destroying King and finishing his career for good. Putting over Miz' viciousness and heeldom. King costing Miz the title in the lead-up could work but I'd rather Miz just drop in the chamber and King gives him sort of stick for it the following night. Maybe actually have Lawler ref the chamber match or something.

If Lawler was to dethrone Miz though...in my mind the finish would have to be Cole almost doing a repeat of his actions in the TLC match only for Jim Ross to return and save the day. And then announce Wrestlemania...with Cole.

You would be wrong. Kendrick never held the WWE title for any kind of spell. He did score a pinfall in that match, which never made him WWE champion as the match wasn't over.

yeah but he held it in the context of the matcch. if king scored a pin and "held" the title for a bit in the match, and had to scrap to defend it right till end where miz pins him with seconds to go it would get loads of face support for King, and then a lotta heel heat for miz for denying king a proper title win.

Whether he wins the title or not, if they're considering having him in the Rumble main event, then they need to play this as his very last chance to do it - training montages, conversations with fellow legends, lots of build up matches etc. Put over the fact that he's won over 150 championships, but never this one - make it seem like he's doing absolutely everything he can to do it.

Most of the people on here are talking logically about him being an old, part-time wrestler and that noone would believe it, but the Ladder match on RAW made a believer out of a whole load of people. Give him some great video packages (which WWE can definitely do when they want to) and you can not only show people how great he was in the past, but also that this really is his very last chance to do this. Have him working matches where he wins through his veteran-ness, i.e. he doesn't win because he's more athletic than his opponent but because he knows all the tricks. As the expression goes "He's forgotten more about wrestling than most will ever know", this is the gimmick they need to go with.

Given all that, and the fact that it's a fatal four way, then a) Miz doesn't even have to be pinned and b) King doesn't actually have to get a whole load of offense in for a King title win that's so far out of left field.

However, the best thing about this sort of buildup is that they don't even have to give him the belt for the story to work - it's a legend of the business trying to give it one last shot and that's a story that a hell of a lot of people can respect, even if he doesn't win the big one. As long as he looks like he's doing absolutely everything he can, then people are still going to love Jerry Lawler and still going to respect the guy for trying (in kayfabe) even if he doesn't win the belt.

Id love to see Lawler win the belt, even if it was for a day. Its fair to say Lawler it the best pro wrestler in the WWE in terms of being able to tell a story and putting shit together.

But it'll never happen, as a fan I'd love to see it, professionally I dont think it be good business.

• Paid Members
Id love to see Lawler win the belt, even if it was for a day. Its fair to say Lawler it the best pro wrestler in the WWE in terms of being able to tell a story and putting shit together.

Frankly, that statement is absolutely mental. How can you make such an assumption after one match? Again, great match and yes he told a great story, but best pro-wrestler in the company in terms of being able to tell a story and put a match together? Utter lunacy.

• Paid Members

Frankly, that statement is absolutely mental. How can you make such an assumption after one match? Again, great match and yes he told a great story, but best pro-wrestler in the company in terms of being able to tell a story and put a match together? Utter lunacy.

I'm not sure it's lunacy. The Undertaker and Triple H are probably the only people who come close or ahead of Lawler. Some of the others are good workers for their time but aren't on the level of someone as great as Mr. JL.

Well, it's three matches, not one, and that's not including his indie stuff. He might not be the best, but he's gotta be pretty high up there.

I'm not sure it's lunacy. The Undertaker and Triple H are probably the only people who come close or ahead of Lawler. Some of the others are good workers for their time but aren't on the level of someone as great as Mr. JL.

I think Lawler's ability is largely irrelevant when it comes to the idea of making him champion in 2011. He's an old man playing a young man's game, the weirdness of it is going to be more notable than how good he is. A lot of actors aren't as good as Robert DeNiro, but that doesn't necessarily mean he should be the new Spider-Man. Jerry's known far more for being a pervy commentator than he is for anything he did in Memphis decades ago. I'm not totally opposed to this idea of him winning the belt briefly, I just think it's far from the most productive way of building up Miz this close to WrestleMania.

In all fairness, WWE did a poor job of making it clear either way. During the match, whoever scored the pinfall was referred to as "the current wwe champion", but then on wwe.com they stated the "mini-title reigns" would not be recognised. They should of referred to each participant as "the current holder of the fall" or something.

• Paid Members

I think Lawler's ability is largely irrelevant when it comes to the idea of making him champion in 2011. He's an old man playing a young man's game, the weirdness of it is going to be more notable than how good he is. A lot of actors aren't as good as Robert DeNiro, but that doesn't necessarily mean he should be the new Spider-Man. Jerry's known far more for being a pervy commentator than he is for anything he did in Memphis decades ago. I'm not totally opposed to this idea of him winning the belt briefly, I just think it's far from the most productive way of building up Miz this close to WrestleMania.

I was only talking about his ability to work wrestling matches, which is surely undoubtable?

As I've said, I don't think him winning the belt harms the belt but it harms Miz and that's senseless.

Archived