Possible Royal Rumble Spoiler

Smeg_&_The_Heads

• Paid Members

The one thing that's been pretty consistent throughout Miz's title reign is his interactions with Lawler so it could all be leading to King costing Miz the strap tonight and then them working a programme with each other into Mania. Leaving the business-side of things, I would adore a Lawler title win as his work lately has made me a big mark for him and his talents. And I think the fans would feel that way too, based on the reactions he's been earning. Miz has been made to look pretty damn weak as a champion since day one so things may be going how they were planned to, as opposed to WWE getting cold-feet on Miz.

If they want a strong belt-holding Miz for 'Mania then they quite simply can't have King win the title from him; even if they had Miz win it back a few weeks later the damage would still be done. But if they just want to keep him in the mid-card away from the big 'Mania main events then a small Lawler reign prior to Miz costing King the title against, for example, Punk, would be a pretty cool part of the Miz-King feud.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was only talking about his ability to work wrestling matches, which is surely undoubtable?

Depends on the context. I'm not sure how much ability he's got to work wrestling matches as the WWE champion at this stage of the game. Hence my DeNiro-as-Spiderman comparison.

I think it'd be mental to do it on the road to WrestleMania, but I don't think it would particularly harm Miz. Triple H lost his first WWF title to Vince McMahon about three weeks after he won it, and he ended up doing alright for himself. Although that was over six months away from WrestleMania, and he got wins over Austin and Rock and retired Mick Foley (twice) before headlining the big event as champion baddie. I can't see much sense in doing the title change from new champ to old fella at the Royal Rumble. They'd be cutting off their WrestleMania to spite fuck all, the mad bastards.

Of course, it is just newzsite bollocks anyway. But when it doesn't happen, I'm sure the official line will be "It was true, subscribers, but WWE changed plans when we found out about it" same as the Christian-is-Edge's-lackey storyline a couple of Rumbles back.

• Paid Members
Id love to see Lawler win the belt, even if it was for a day. Its fair to say Lawler it the best pro wrestler in the WWE in terms of being able to tell a story and putting shit together.

Frankly, that statement is absolutely mental. How can you make such an assumption after one match? Again, great match and yes he told a great story, but best pro-wrestler in the company in terms of being able to tell a story and put a match together? Utter lunacy.

I'm not sure it's lunacy. The Undertaker and Triple H are probably the only people who come close or ahead of Lawler. Some of the others are good workers for their time but aren't on the level of someone as great as Mr. JL.

That's two names you've already mentioned in the same breath as Lawler who are better. I'd go as far to say that Cena is in that category too. Lawler had one brilliant match, and fair play to him, but I don't think he's even in with a shout of best storyteller of all time let alone on the current WWE roster. He's up there, don't get me wrong, but JL isn't the best in the company.

Well, it's three matches, not one, and that's not including his indie stuff. He might not be the best, but he's gotta be pretty high up there.

I deliberately discounted the other two matches as they didn't hold anywhere near the importance of the TLC match and in terms of this discussion don't add anything. You can't tell that looking at those other two matches that he's a storytelling genius, you need to look at the TLC match or matches from his prime. Also, if his inde stuff is that good then how come it doesn't get more recognition? Agree with your last point about him being up there, but then that's the point I was essentially trying to make. He's done us proud, but to call him the best is stretching it much too far for me.

Also, if his inde stuff is that good then how come it doesn't get more recognition? Agree with your last point about him being up there, but then that's the point I was essentially trying to make. He's done us proud, but to call him the best is stretching it much too far for me.

Because it tends to be for pretty obscure US indies that people on here won't have heard of - it's not like he's a regular for Dragon Gate USA, ROH or CZW.

• Paid Members
HHH

Probably, I can see him winning.

Christian

If he's fit, he'll be in it.

Goldberg

Considering he hasn't wrestled in over five years at this point and (allegedly) price has been a stumbling block when WWE have approached him in that period, I really can't see this.

Chris Jericho

Possible.

Brock Lesnar

Not a dog's chance in hell. His UFC contract forbids him from working a PPV for another company and I don't see why Dana would allow any exception. Having said that, someone told me he only has one fight left on his deal so he might manage something for Mania, if so inclined.

• Paid Members
Also, if his inde stuff is that good then how come it doesn't get more recognition? Agree with your last point about him being up there, but then that's the point I was essentially trying to make. He's done us proud, but to call him the best is stretching it much too far for me.

Because it tends to be for pretty obscure US indies that people on here won't have heard of - it's not like he's a regular for Dragon Gate USA, ROH or CZW.

Still, if his inde stuff was that good and he kept proving in this day and age he can tell a great story and so on, I'm pretty sure most people watching the feds you described above would be checking out his matches. By all means show me some examples of his inde stuff though and I'm happy to stand corrected.

Still, if his inde stuff was that good and he kept proving in this day and age he can tell a great story and so on, I'm pretty sure most people watching the feds you described above would be checking out his matches. By all means show me some examples of his inde stuff though and I'm happy to stand corrected.

Like Rob said, its likely for obscure companies. Many of those wont be bothering to record matches to give away for free or to produce a DVD that won't sell. Like our own beloved All Star Wrestling.

James Mason is awesome, for example. You won't be checking out his awesomeness though unless you go and see him live.

There's a huge catalog of Lawler's work available to download though, primarily Memphis (which is still open for business). He's always as awesome as he's been in WWE recently. He hasn't gone and fluked a decent performance at this stage of his career. Pick anything Lawler ever does and you should be able to see his quality??

• Paid Members

Like Rob said, its likely for obscure companies. Many of those wont be bothering to record matches to give away for free or to produce a DVD that won't sell. Like our own beloved All Star Wrestling.

James Mason is awesome, for example. You won't be checking out his awesomeness though unless you go and see him live.

There's a huge catalog of Lawler's work available to download though, primarily Memphis (which is still open for business). He's always as awesome as he's been in WWE recently. He hasn't gone and fluked a decent performance at this stage of his career. Pick anything Lawler ever does and you should be able to see his quality??

Oh, absolutely, I'm not denying his quality. It was the "best in the company" remark which took the biscuit.

• Paid Members
A few rumoured suprise entrants to the RR.

HHH

Christian

Goldberg

Chris Jericho

Brock Lesnar

Lesner will NOT be in the rumble or in WWE whilst his UFC contract is still on going.

Although ive also heard a few maybes:

Kevin nash (due to his tweets)

Booker T (aparently was backstage at a recent PPV)

Sting (Although not sure about his current contract status)

Oh, absolutely, I'm not denying his quality. It was the "best in the company" remark which took the biscuit.

Ah, OK mate.

I would struggle to name many people on WWE's current roster that I'd put ahead on Lawler based on story-telling abilities etc. As Rick says, Triple H and The Undertaker are there or thereabouts.

After those fellas, I'd seriously struggle. It's those sort of talents that never leave them, innit?

I honestly can't think of someone who is really trully ahead of Lawler in the 'knowing how to work' stakes from the current roster. It may be shocking as he's getting on but, like I said mate, its not a talent that depreciates with age like, say, agility will do.

However, all pretty much besides the point when contemplating the real issue imo: The real issue isn't that Lawler is still among WWE's finest story-tellers but that the number of actual story-tellers on the current roster is so low.

Sheamus, CM Punk, Alberto del Rio, Bryan Danielson... they'll get there for sure if they aren't already.

Edge? Orton? Cena? The bookers don't half help them out.

The Miz? Morrison? Ziggler? They aint got the skills to pay the bills on this score.

It's a good point to debate.

Let's not forget that Lawler has not only told his own characters stories both in and out of the ring but also for a whole range of guys, past and present, both in the ring and out, within USWA, the later Memphis companies, and with WWF/WWE, over a career spanning decades.

The boy has certainly had his practice!!

:)

• Paid Members

I agree with those seeing that although to guys like us seeing lawler as champ is a bit shocking, lawler is super over at the moment and a very short term run would be great. He is a super over baby face who can still go, plus would be jerrys crowning moment in his personal career i think.

Go on Lawler!

They could be the best matches in the world, but CZW fans might have a different idea of "good". As it stands, I do have a MECW match against Dirty Money on my computer somewhere, I'll upload it for you as I'm a lovely chap.

• Paid Members

Edge? Orton? Cena? The bookers don't half help them out.

The bookers can't help them out when they're out there live, in the ring, having to go about their pacing of the match etc. Cena himself is good at pacing his matches, even if the Super Cena comeback irks some people. It's not just because of the booking that there matches are often well paced. The bookers put together the matches and finishes, but they don't help the actual dynamics of what goes on between the wrestlers at the time. Maybe the time scale of a match affects the thinking behind how the workers go about it, but ultimately its down to them. Otherwise, agree with most of that post. Some good names in there.

They could be the best matches in the world, but CZW fans might have a different idea of "good". As it stands, I do have a MECW match against Dirty Money on my computer somewhere, I'll upload it for you as I'm a lovely chap.

CZW is a bit of a one off example to be fair. Hit me up with the MECW match though, I'd be interested to see some of his inde stuff.

Archived