Possible Royal Rumble Spoiler

Smeg_&_The_Heads

- Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com is reporting that as of this week that a Fatal 4 Way is planned for the WWE Title match at Royal Rumble with The Miz defending his title vs Jerry Lawler, Randy Orton and John Morrison. Morrison vs Miz in a singles match was originally scheduled for Rumble but those plans were changed and that match will now take place on this Monday

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Lawler as WWE champion would further damage its reputation. Its shocking that a title once held in such prestige is passed around like a cheap whore these days.

Agreed with this. Nothing against Lawler, he's been absolutely brilliant as of late and I got really sucked into his first title match with Miz, his timing and pacing throughout the whole match were leagues above most of the roster. But I couldn't think of anything dafter than putting the WWE title on him, especially in the run up to Wrestlemania. It would do no one any favours whatsoever.

If they insist on doing it, the only way I'd do it would be for Lawler to win it in the first segment of the show, then lose the belt to Miz or someone else in a re-match type of deal or relinquishing the title altogether. But I don't even like the idea of him having the belt at all. A legend, absolutely, but putting the title on him at this stage would be just a bit too much. By the same token though, it would be a pretty special moment and a real surprise, but all the same I don't think its the right move.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. No way should a man north of 60 be booked to win the world title. It simply isnt believable that he could keep up with some of the companys best, men on whom the future of the company rests.

Not only would it degrade the belt but I would make Miz look like shit. All his progression would be forgotten, losing the world title to the King would follow him around forever.

I'm with what looks to be the majority on this one. Lawler was a great performer back in his day and is still a very good commentator now but his one off matches in recent years have just been to help along storylines or for other purposes such as giving his home town fans something to cheer. His matches in recent years have shown that he has slowed down a bit now and in my opinion having him as a short term WWE Champion will not help anyone. For WWE it will make the current stars look as though an old semi retired wrestler can win the title over them, therefore downplaying them as performers and for Lawler it will probably look as though the company have realised they should have given him a title run back in his prime and now regret not doing so and now giving him the run but he isn't in his prime anymore. It may look more like a bit of a joke/novelty title run, obviously nowhere close to the joke of Arquette's win in WCW but more like a novelty/nostalgia run when Moolah won the Women's title in 1999 for a very short reign, I remember it tied in with a storyline with Ivory but it was so short term people would be forgiven if they forgot about it. If Lawler's biggest achievement in WWE came when he was a semi retired performer who really works as a commentator now it wouldn't really be the same as having that achievement in his prime and would be more forgettable now than then and feel more forced just for the sake of labelling him a former WWE Champion.

I don't think having a semi retired performer who has a match every now and then, who's main job is as a commentator, as the main Champion and face of the company is a real step forwards, especially when you have young talented guys who could be in that sport but are instead looking weak against an old man who was once a very good wrestler but has since slowed down.

Personally I think if done right it could be tremendous television and the fact that he's 60 or 61 is part of what would make it such a great story. Because of 1) how great Lawler is, 2) the fact that Lawler is somebody the audience connect to and feel as part of their lives (week in week out we hear the guy, he now has that 'Mick Foley' esque type character trait in that people actually LIKE Lawler and feel as though they know him personally because of the amount of years they've listened to him......Bit like Terry Wogan.....). I don't see it happening personally but if it did I think it could be beyond great.

He shouldn't win the title, although I'd probably cum in my pants if he did, especially if it was at the Rumble. However, I definitely think he should be kept in matches, at least building to a final match at Mania. He's proven he can create a big reaction and manipulate the crowd masterfully, so an old man or not, he deserves a spot as a wrestler on the main shows.

• Awards Moderator

I expected Lawler to be an entrant in the Rumble, and there to be a Miz/Morrison/Orton triple threat match for the title. I could see Lawler doing really well in the Rumble, he would be great at making people wonder if he could actually pull it off and win the thing, which is something you don't get from many undercard Rumble entrants these days. I could even see him making it to the last two or three entrants, eliminating a favourite like Big Show before getting chucked out by the eventual winner (who I reckon will be Triple H).

To be honest I think his story (again if done right) could be a great story to go into WrestleMania with him as challenger to the WWE title.

Only problem is come April (hell come February) this is going to feel old and boring because in my opinion they do too much on a week to week basis. If left to promos instead of constant altercations week after week this could sell.

Archived