XBOX 360 hard drive

CruX

OK folks, you've helped me out in the past and I know you can again.

Father Christmas brought the kids an XBOX 360. I enabled Zune to xbox on my main PC which allows you to stream media to the xbox. Great stuff. However, the problem is I want to use the 360's hard drive to house all the kids divx films and free up about 100gb to load my films on so I can use my xbox to watch the films.

I can't find a way to load media from my usb storage onto the hard drive at all. I can only assume I am doing something wrong.

Any help from anyone?

• Paid Members

You can't use USB storage bigger than whatever memory your Hard Drive is, I think. So if you have for example a 120GB Xbox Harddrive, you can't use an external USB bigger than that.

You also have to configure the USB to work with the Xbox. To do this, wipe your USB (so store whatever is on it on your PC) and then stick the USB in the Xbox. On the Dashboard, go to settings, then memory and then select the USB. It'll tell you to configure it.

When configured, put what you want back on the USB, and put it back in the Xbox. From here go back to memory. Go on your USB and I think you press Y on the film or file you want to copy. Then copy it to your Xbox harddrive. Do the same for everything else.

Hope that works.

You can't use USB storage bigger than whatever memory your Hard Drive is, I think. So if you have for example a 120GB Xbox Harddrive, you can't use an external USB bigger than that.

You also have to configure the USB to work with the Xbox. To do this, wipe your USB (so store whatever is on it on your PC) and then stick the USB in the Xbox. On the Dashboard, go to settings, then memory and then select the USB. It'll tell you to configure it.

When configured, put what you want back on the USB, and put it back in the Xbox. From here go back to memory. Go on your USB and I think you press Y on the film or file you want to copy. Then copy it to your Xbox harddrive. Do the same for everything else.

Hope that works.

I've tried that mate, after configuring the usb for xbox it says there isn't enough space to load data on. It's as if the xbox writes to full capacity with blank data pertaining to it and then lets you only load xbox info on it. I can load stuff on the usb drive and play it on the xbox but I can't transfer it across.

Thanks for the pointer though.

• Paid Members

Hope that works.

I've tried that mate, after configuring the usb for xbox it says there isn't enough space to load data on. It's as if the xbox writes to full capacity with blank data pertaining to it and then lets you only load xbox info on it. I can load stuff on the usb drive and play it on the xbox but I can't transfer it across.

I just googled it, and apparently you can't save any video files to the Xbox HDD unless downloaded from the actual Xbox. Looks like you're buggered matey, sorry.

Hope that works.

I just googled it, and apparently you can't save any video files to the Xbox HDD unless downloaded from the actual Xbox. Looks like you're buggered matey, sorry.

I think you're right. Apparently you can if you mod it and use videos that are digitally signed. Looks like I have over 200gb of Xbox storage that's as much use to me as a chocolate fireguard. Cheers for the help. Much appreciated.

Sell the HDD and buy a smaller one, then with the money buy an external hard drive, store the movies on there and stream direct to your Xbox. Plenty of room for gaming and even more room for your movies. You can get 1TB hard drives for about

Then just sell it, buy a smaller HDD and buy some games with the change.

I'll probably just load the games on to the hard drives for now. I can't be faffed trying to sell 2 Xbox hard drives.

Archived