R.I.P. Bravo - a friend to U.K. wrestling fans for well over a decade

ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members
I can remember when Bravo mostly used to show old black & white shows from the 50s and 60s.

So do I! They used to show programmes like "The Saint", "Bonanza", "Jason King". Famous 60-70's shows. Those type of programmes. I first saw the film "Scum" on that channel. Saw my first "Troma" film too.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just contemplating the closure of the Bravo network, happening in the early hours of January 1st, tomorrow.

It really is an end of an era, as over the years it has carried numerous wrestling shows.

• It aired classic ECW tv shows in the late 1990s, as well as the 'Ultimate Pro Wrestling' series - a show featuring tapes of Memphis and Texas wrestling matches from the late 1980s and early 1990s.
  • When TNT Europe became TCM and strictly a 24/7 movies-only channel in July 2000, Bravo took on WCW Monday Nitro, right to its' very death.
  • Bravo aired a LIVE 2 hour FWA Revival wrestling show on the evening of February 9, 2002, from the Crystal Palace Indoor Arena, a show featuring the likes of Eddie Guerrero (in between stints with WWE at this point) and Douglas Williams, to name just a couple.
  • From January 2007, it aired TNA Impact weekly, with just a 2 day delay from the U.S. transmission, right up to the very end of its' existence.
  • It aired TNA ppvs on its' sister station, Bravo 2.
  • It even aired the TNA Epics mini-series, for the short time that show was in existence, and repeated the show regularly to this day.
  • Even Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Wrestling reality series aired on the channel.

When no other prominent non-Sky branded channel would touch wrestling shows (apart from the shortlived Wrestling Channel that ultimately had little reach), it was there for fans.

When you think of the amount of different wrestling shows that it has aired, it's a real shame it is closing.

Farewell Bravo! :(

Not only all the great wrestling above but loads of other non-wrestling shows on there too , where am i gonna find Dog the bounty hunter now ?

RIP BRAVO - i'm really gonna miss you :angry:

• Paid Members

Here's a history of Bravo's Idents on TVARK (link. It's well worth your time.

I first got Bravo in about 1997 or so, as I had a weird Irish cable thing called Horizon Multichannel (which later became Chorus and is now UPC). They occasionally changed up the channels you got, so for me, Bravo was the home of awesome cult movies. And weird sex stuff. Everything a 17 year old needed, really.

Disappointing to see that it will close tonight. They always showed some good shows. Wonder when another channel will pick up TNA?

I can't stand the idea of not watching TNA even for a few weeks :angry:

Really?

I shall certainly miss the boobs and Dog The Bounty Hunter.

[*]Bravo aired a LIVE 2 hour FWA Revival wrestling show on the evening of February 9, 2002, from the Crystal Palace Indoor Arena, a show featuring the likes of Eddie Guerrero (in between stints with WWE at this point) and Douglas Williams, to name just a couple.

If memory serves it was broadcast live on Talksport, and apparently heavily edited when it was shown on Bravo later.

You are correct. They edited the shit out of it.

That's an interesting point actually; I wonder if there's a chance of seeing the full version now, what with the channel closing down and all? I remember people asking before about an un-edited version, but I believe Bravo owned the footage and thus no-one else could do anything with it.

They really edited it to shit. They made a doug Williams vs flash barker look like a dogs dinner by cutting out the first ten minutes of the match.

In regards to the footage I imagine it's now technically owned by sky, and the raw footage is likely lost in footage limbo.

Get show though!

[*]Bravo aired a LIVE 2 hour FWA Revival wrestling show on the evening of February 9, 2002, from the Crystal Palace Indoor Arena, a show featuring the likes of Eddie Guerrero (in between stints with WWE at this point) and Douglas Williams, to name just a couple.

I know it's been mentioned 2 or 3 times already, but worth mentioning again. It was aired about a month later. It was amazing live though, and the TV show was still good.

Bravo was a great channel, and as evidenced, was good to wrestling over the years.

Archived