Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Listening to some stuff from the 90s the other day and realising how much of it was stuff that was championed by Mark & Lard made me realise just how much I have missed them since they parted ways, and that I haven't listened to Radio 1 once since then. In fact, aside from the odd bit of Lauren Laverne on 6Music and Radcliffe & Maconie on Radio 2, I don't listen to any radio any more, really, but I should probably give it another go. I keep meaning to start listening to Fighting Talk again.

When I was a kid we were quite lucky in the Manchester area in that we had the fantastic James H Reeve, Paul Carrington and James Stannage - then again, we also gave Jeremy Kyle and Steve Penk their first breaks.

Go on then.

I was around 14 when Chris Moyles did afternoons on Radio 1, he was on as I was getting in from school and I'd listen daily to him. It seems a million years ago now, but I thought he was the king of the world back then. I wasn't in the slightest surprised when he got the morning show, but from then I never listened but he seems to have turned into a bit of a tit since then.

I was a bit of a radio nerd around that time actually. I used to set a tapes to record Jo Whiley and Mark and Lard in the day, and I'd always have Lamaq Live on the evenings as background noise to whatever I was doing.

When I was a little kid, I was a bit addicted to Greg Scott on Yorkshire Coast Radio, I won a few competitions and even met him at their little studio.

• Paid Members

I never really liked Chris Moyles although I do remember, when he used to do the very early morning show, that he had an on-running feud with Ian Collins from TalkSport which was quite entertaining. I think it started when one of Collins' producers spotted Moyles taking a piss behind a refreshment tent at one of those Radio 1 music festivals.

Still the radio but not music, I am in love with 'Just a Minute' just as my mother and grandfather were before me, which I think speaks of how universal and wonderful the show is. Probably not for everyone, its never edgy comedy, its just some fine comedians trying to speak for a minute. Far more exciting then it sounds.

• Awards Moderator
Still the radio but not music, I am in love with 'Just a Minute' just as my mother and grandfather were before me, which I think speaks of how universal and wonderful the show is. Probably not for everyone, its never edgy comedy, its just some fine comedians trying to speak for a minute. Far more exciting then it sounds.

I love Just A Minute. It's so simple, but it works so well - just really good fun. You always get a laugh from Just A Minute. It was quite interesting in the most recent series when some of the panelists were big stand-ups like Stephen K Amos and John Bishop, and they seemed to struggle to think on their feet. They kept pausing for laughs and losing points for hesitation :thumbsup:

Long live Parsons and Merton.

I also like Radio 4's Friday night comedy. The News Quiz I can give or take, but I heart the Now Show.

We tend to have Radio 2 on at work. It's a mixed bag (Steve Wright is terrible) but it gets you through the day. Managed to find an awesome rock radio station from Manchester called (surprisingly) Rock Radio earlier this year, but you can't get it in my new office. If anyone from Manchester listens to it, the afternoon show with Mike Sweeney and Dewsbury is a good'un.

Meanwhile, I've never got on with Radio 1 other than Zane Lowe, and I can't stand 6 Music. Every time I've tried to listen to it, it just smacks of "Look how ECLECTIC we are! Here's a song you've never heard of by somebody you've never heard of, followed by something completely different that you've also never heard of! We're so COOL!" Fuck off.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

[Meanwhile, I've never got on with Radio 1 other than Zane Lowe, and I can't stand 6 Music. Every time I've tried to listen to it, it just smacks of "Look how ECLECTIC we are! Here's a song you've never heard of by somebody you've never heard of, followed by something completely different that you've also never heard of! We're so COOL!" Fuck off.

I agree on the 6 Music front, although that's probably because I'm just not a music geek like I used to be. I parrotted every bloody awful band Jo Whiley and Steve Lamaq got behind when I was younger, so it would probably just be 6 Music if I was that age now. I did like the Russell Brand show with Matt Morgan and Trevor Lock on Sunday Mornings, but Radio 2 smartly poached that show anyway, so me and 6 Music were history.

• Paid Members

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned John Peel yet, I used to listen to him when I worked nights part-time as a teenager, he played a lot of stuff that I wouldn't normally listen to so got me into some genres that I wouldn't have listened to had it not be for him.

• Paid Members

I never used to listen to Peel a great amount but I have retrospectively gone back and listened to a lot of music he championed, although a lot of that in turn was also championed by Mark & Lard.

As for the criticisms of 6Music, I don't think there's anything wrong with being pointedly eclectic although they can be smug about it at times.

We tend to have Radio 2 on at work. It's a mixed bag (Steve Wright is terrible) but it gets you through the day. Managed to find an awesome rock radio station from Manchester called (surprisingly) Rock Radio earlier this year, but you can't get it in my new office. If anyone from Manchester listens to it, the afternoon show with Mike Sweeney and Dewsbury is a good'un.

Amazed to hear Mike Sweeney is still around, he's a Manchester radio legend, he should have been big on a national stage too. I used to be scared of him as a kid though. He used to do a music segment on Granada Tonight every Friday evening and when he came on I used to hide behind the couch.

• Paid Members

I was BIG into listening to radio back in the mid-to-late 90s. I remember just sitting for hours playing FIFA in its various forms on the Playstation whilst listening to local and talk radio. There was a bloke called Mike The Mouth Elliot on Century FM, who used to be really good. He was like Howard Stern, if Stern has 20,000 listeners, was fat with specs and was a Mackem. He was great to listen to. Used to listen to the Three Legends Football Phone-in (which had Eric Gates representing Sunderland, Malcolm McDonald supporting Newcastle and Bernie Salven banging on about the other one). When they first started, they were so good. The chemistry was top class. Its still going, but Gatesy's fucked off and its dogshite now. Tommy Boyd I always listened to, because he always used to argue with his listeners and seemed a pretty smart bloke. I miss talk radio how it was. It seems like there is no decent radio about these days.

And of course, Mark and Lard were brilliant.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members

For me my fave radio listening has to be the work of James Stannage. UKFFchat got me listening to him, and I'm sure Key 103's online listeners ratings must have spiked, around 04-05 before his firing he was fast becoming an online legend in the uk.

His vitriol and hatred to some callers was awesome, his political stance was a little off at times, but overall he was cracking! xx

• Paid Members
For me my fave radio listening has to be the work of James Stannage. UKFFchat got me listening to him, and I'm sure Key 103's online listeners ratings must have spiked, around 04-05 before his firing he was fast becoming an online legend in the uk.

His vitriol and hatred to some callers was awesome, his political stance was a little off at times, but overall he was cracking! xx

I started listening to him when I was 12 - he did an hour of clowning around before turning to serious stuff after 11pm, when I promptly turned off. He wasn't a patch on James H Reeve, who was awesome during his TalkSport run too, but he was still great fun.

When I was about fifteen, I used to love listening to Jeremy Kyle's show on BRMB. He was just called "Jezza" in those days, and he used to do a late-night agony uncle show. Always ended with the Robbie Williams song "Heaven From Here." Never really bothered with radio since then, other than the Russell Brand show, which I almost always downloaded the podcast of rather than sit listening on Saturday night.

• Paid Members
Listening to some stuff from the 90s the other day and realising how much of it was stuff that was championed by Mark & Lard made me realise just how much I have missed them since they parted ways, and that I haven't listened to Radio 1 once since then. In fact, aside from the odd bit of Lauren Laverne on 6Music and Radcliffe & Maconie on Radio 2, I don't listen to any radio any more, really, but I should probably give it another go. I keep meaning to start listening to Fighting Talk again.

When I was a kid we were quite lucky in the Manchester area in that we had the fantastic James H Reeve, Paul Carrington and James Stannage - then again, we also gave Jeremy Kyle and Steve Penk their first breaks.

Go on then.

There's loads of old Mark and Lard Graveyard shifts here