Alex Riley

Jetta's G-string

When I first saw Alex Riley on NXT, I immediately thought that this guy was a superstar in the making. He looked the part, was very good on the mic, and was a decent to good wrestler. Since then, in my opinion, he hasn't looked out of place on RAW mingling with The Miz and other main-eventers.

I was surprised to see some negative opinions on him in another thread, I think someone said he'd be released soon. So whats the overall opinion of him on this forum?

I think he has got everything going for im apart from a very generic look and gimmick, needs more time to expand on those two things and I think he will be a future main eventer and he carries himself like one already.

Count me in as a fan of A-Ri

• Paid Members

I think he's good for what the modern day "rookie" pro-wrestler is. In years gone by, he'd be perfecting his craft while travelling from town to town and learning how to make the best of himself. These days, you get 12 months in Florida, 3 months on TV that you aren't ready for and a second chance if and only if you are lucky.

Riley is a solid talker and a fairly talented wrestler. In 2 years time, he might be ready for a decent spot in WWE. By that time, he'll have either taken a bullet or he'll already be over-exposed.

WWE really need to take a good hard look at Daniel Bryan. They have a guy who's worked his way around the world, learned how to perform in front of crowds from, 40 people to 4000 and learned what it takes to be a pro-wrestler. They've given the rough diamond a bit of polish and, holy shit, they've got a bloody good pro-wrestler. It's a recipe for success. The alternative is guys like Riley, Ted Dibiase, etc who mostly look good and talk well but pretty quickly die on their arses because the most important part of being a pro-wrestler is expressing yourself in the ring.

WWE really need to take a good hard look at Daniel Bryan. They have a guy who's worked his way around the world, learned how to perform in front of crowds from, 40 people to 4000 and learned what it takes to be a pro-wrestler. They've given the rough diamond a bit of polish and, holy shit, they've got a bloody good pro-wrestler. It's a recipe for success. The alternative is guys like Riley, Ted Dibiase, etc who mostly look good and talk well but pretty quickly die on their arses because the most important part of being a pro-wrestler is expressing yourself in the ring.

I've been saying the same thing for years.

The WWE's whole recruitment/training process is arse backwards. They take generic looking drones and attempt to train a personality and wrestling experience into them. They should be hiring guys who have 'it' already (in the ring and/or the mic) then polishing them up with a make-over and some hardcore gym time.

On topic..

Riley is pretty solid. Mic work is great for his experience level but needs work in the ring. Hopefully that will come. He's way better than most of the guys from NXT.

I'm a huge fan. Other than Daniel Bryan, I think he's got more potential than anyone I've seen on any of the NXT series. He does need work in the ring (the match with Morrison on RAW was a bit sloppy in places), but I think Wade Barrett's shown how far being a good talker can get you given the shortage of them in the WWE these days. Riley's at least as good as Barrett on the mic IMO, and his size and look mean he could believably be booked as a credible physical threat to the main eventers if they choose to go that way down the line. I also really liked the gimmick he was doing on NXT, he played the jock character far better than Swagger ever did, for me. It's fallen by the wayside now, but it shows that he's able to create a character, which at least sets him apart from the vast majority of the midcard brigade.

I think he is brilliant, he has the look, brilliant on the mic, people are being made aware of him, and he is learning from The Miz. What they need to do is give him time to evolve, like they did with Batista in Evolution all those years ago. He should develop and keep his personality even further, but WWE needs to be patient. They need to give him time, as everything in the current wrestling world is rushed. They need to give him a good two years or so, as an established mid carder and keep in included in the main event scene by helping The Miz.

• Paid Members
I think he is brilliant, he has the look, brilliant on the mic, people are being made aware of him, and he is learning from The Miz. What they need to do is give him time to evolve, like they did with Batista in Evolution all those years ago. He should develop and keep his personality even further, but WWE needs to be patient. They need to give him time, as everything in the current wrestling world is rushed. They need to give him a good two years or so, as an established mid carder and keep in included in the main event scene by helping The Miz.

Not sure about the in-ring, but they're giving him plenty of space to develop. Aside from that, I'd say he's stellar.

Look and promo-wise, he's really alright. Not that bad.

In-ring, he proper stinks. The quicker he learns the better because before long he'll be dragging down The Miz's act... and given reactions, or lack thereof, The Miz has received as champion, they'll be thinking about Riley's involvement for sure.

He certainly has a look and his current role is good in the short term but he needs to seperate himself in terms of character from The Miz otherwise when he breaks away nobody will care personally if The Miz keeps the title for a while then i would love to see Riley win Money in the Bank at the MITB PPV to break up him and The Miz.

Archived