King of the Promos?

robbo9292

• Paid Members
Scott Steiner is either a batshit insane retard or a complete genius who does a great job of portraying the former. Regardless, I love his promos for that.

Where you can seriously imagine Flair not knowing what day it is and just spouting off a load of shite which sounds funny, Scott Steiner seems very aware of his character as being a thick cunt. His final year in TNA was comedy gold for most part, and you could tell he was doing it with a knowing wink. The funniest for me was when he was trying to get the tailor to put two "F's" on his new Main Event Mafia shirt, even though the group had split up and there was only one "F" in Mafia. Shame Flair and Steiner hate each other in real life and the threat of violence is high if they are in the same room, because a Steiner vs Flair feud would have been better than anything on normal television if TNA had ran with it. Imagine trying to work out those promos?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott Steiner is either a batshit insane retard or a complete genius who does a great job of portraying the former. Regardless, I love his promos for that.

Where you can seriously imagine Flair not knowing what day it is and just spouting off a load of shite which sounds funny, Scott Steiner seems very aware of his character as being a thick cunt. His final year in TNA was comedy gold for most part, and you could tell he was doing it with a knowing wink. The funniest for me was when he was trying to get the tailor to put two "F's" on his new Main Event Mafia shirt, even though the group had split up and there was only one "F" in Mafia. Shame Flair and Steiner hate each other in real life and the threat of violence is high if they are in the same room, because a Steiner vs Flair feud would have been better than anything on normal television if TNA had ran with it. Imagine trying to work out those promos?

That IS a shame. Those two would collectively melt my fucking brain and I'd love them for it.

i'm really surprised Cena hasnt been mentioned. love or hate him the man can talk, when he in his serious voice his promos are top draw and his promos help sell the PPV.

• Paid Members
i'm really surprised Cena hasnt been mentioned. love or hate him the man can talk, when he in his serious voice his promos are top draw and his promos help sell the PPV.

I personally can't stand Cena on the mic. His promos are usually a gay/poo joke, unwarranted shouting and always coming out of it looking superior and smug. When he ridicules announcers or interviewers it has none of the charm that The Rock did when he did the same thing. There's only so much you can bury your opponent on the mic before all threat is gone and when Cena does win, he's already pointed out how flawed the guy was in the first place... so what has he achieved?

To completely contradict myself, I'd add another vote for Roadwarrior Hawk. He was utterly surreal, made himself and Animal sound indestructable and the bullshit just flowed so easily for him. His promo style suited the gimmick so well. "We snack on danger and dine on death".

I tell ya what I miss - those Royal Rumble promos from the old days. Every single person actually made a case as to why they could win. Even Bad News Brown seemed like he had a shot back then just with a 30 second interview. I'd like to see Zack Ryder or Ezekiel Jackson give me 30 seconds on how they plans to win the Rumble

I personally can't stand Cena on the mic. His promos are usually a gay/poo joke, unwarranted shouting and always coming out of it looking superior and smug. When he ridicules announcers or interviewers it has none of the charm that The Rock did when he did the same thing. There's only so much you can bury your opponent on the mic before all threat is gone and when Cena does win, he's already pointed out how flawed the guy was in the first place... so what has he achieved?

i agree partly what you say when he's telling jokes its not good i.e his sheamus jokes takeways the threat. however when he serious like the promo with piper on piper's pit before the free or fired match was just gold and almost made you believe the situation he was in.

the guy doesnt cut promos as such, he makes speeches. it seems that every time he speaks, its a cross between someone trying to rally the troops and a minister leading a congregation.

• Paid Members

Can't really get behind Cena's promos. Like his character, they suffer from just being too stale and too lame. Call me a workrate pervert if you like, but it'll just sound stupid - I think his promos were excellent when he had an edge to them. He didn't even have to swear to sound dangerous.

For me, The Man in promos is Roddy Piper. As JR said on his DVD, no-one could make a feud or a match "personal" the way Piper could.

Also, a shout for Big Dust, who was pure, 100% Big-Time.

Personally, I always got sucked into Raven's promos. I loved them they were just had that feel of Raven being high and mighty to a delullsional state.

John Cena was alright about 2003 when his act was a heel and meant to be twatty, but his face work annoys me. He has that annoying habit of going from a Hannah Montana schtick to monotone statement maker despite what situation he's in. It puts me off.

• Paid Members

Now? Personally I like Punk. Like all great heels, he genuinely believes every word he's saying, and that he's in the right. His current program especially.

Ever?

Honourable mentions to Jake, Piper and Rock for different reasons, but the king for me will always be Flair. Not just his catchphrases, and "WHOOO!" but so many of his rants on various opponents really scream "big time" in a way that many others never managed for me.

In fact my favourite wrestling quote ever just might be "Diamonds are forever.... and so is Ric Flair."

In fact my favourite wrestling quote ever just might be "Diamonds are forever.... and so is Ric Flair."

*Points to a random woman in the crowd*

"Shut your mouth sweetheart before I decide to take you home and make a woman out of you!"

I always liked Randy Savages promos, it was like a child colouring in; the general idea was there but there was alot that went outside the lines.

""Not only am I gonna beat you 1 2 3 tonite, ah ha, yeah, im gonna raise the roof and burn the house down.

Do the thing, if ya got the guts and i'll see you, on the other side, ooohhh yeah, Diggit!"

Archived