smackdown spoilers

xear

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I skipped the three way, the first few minutes bored me. Might catch it on Sky+ later. Cody Rhodes was awesome in his match with Big Show, I'd love to see them have a proper match next week, or even at the Rumble, he really took some king-sized bumps and is fitting into his character well. Tag team match was ok, nothing special. Women's tag was pretty good, at least on Smackdown they seem to be giving the womens matches more of a chance, which is nice to see. Liked Drew vs. Trent as well, but Cole needs to turn 100% heel soon. I don't like the shades of grey stuff we've been getting from the vast majority of commentators lately.

• Paid Members

Interested how many of you just read the results and didn't watch this considering the overwhelming negativity. This weeks Smackdown actually had a different feel to it and was pretty decent. I'm always amazed by people reading results of a show and moaning about how shit it is, without ever really giving it a chance. Of course it sounds rubbish with a list of results like listed here, which really tell you absolutely nothing.

Looks very much like Smackdown are looking to go into 2011 elevating and establishing some new talent. Certainly looks like Dolph is being primed for big things, which is great because he's a tremendous talent. I really hope he gets a good showing in the Rumble and his reign continues to be a very long one. Pity should be happy that the opening segment gave Ziggler and his mid-card cronies some mic-time and importantly reason to be having their match. Being given the main event slot was interesting too and another reason why it very much feels like plenty of focus is being thrust upon Dolph. Swaggers involvement and interaction gave me the feeling fans might be receptive to a face run also for Jack too.

The other person it looks like is getting a focused push is Drew McIntyre and i like the way it's heading so far. His match with Barretta was very nifty, Trent looked great for it and i like the continuity of McIntyres sadistic nature. Agreed with others with Coles commentary though, was the most apparent it's ever been how this new style of his can be detrimental. I didn't mind him burying the Hart Dynasty but the burying of Trent here felt very counter-productive when Smackdown need to be getting guys like him over. I suppose if Barretta still plays the dorky guy who loves to play computer games he's exactly the sort of character Michael Cole would be against and like to pretend is what he's not. I get the impression Cole's new role is really just being the voice expressing the opinions of Vince.

Looks as though Kane-Edge and Del Rio-Misterio will be having their feud enders next week. Someone said they can't see Del Rio going over, i definitely can. I see Edge retaining and Del Rio going over with Alberto then challenging for the World title, going into a feud with Edge which will lead to some involvement from a returning Christian also.

Misterio i think will then go into a series with McIntyre, which could be very effective in putting over McIntyres ruthlessness with some brutal beatdowns on the smaller guy. That or against Cody Rhodes, which could produce some fun matches but will probably have the predictable premise of Cody claiming Rey has to wear a mask because he isn't dashing. If the Rhodes-Show stuff is just temporary and that does happen, which i think is more likely, then that leaves Show to feud with Drew and considering the Kelly Kelly angle and Shows warning to her this week, looks like it's on the cards. Looking competitive against Show and having some angles where Drew leaves Big Show lying and with some Kelly Kelly involvement too, could really do Drew wonders in progressing up the card.

Interested to see if this sort of stuff continues.

• Paid Members
Cena did lay down for people like Barrett and Gabriel this year and Sheamus last year. I can't remember the last time Rey put someone over. It would've been Alberto but Rey returned to rectify that mistake didn't he?

Cena put over Sheamus by falling through a table, and only by pin after a Nexus mugging. Speaking of which, any matches Cena got pinned by Barratt or Gabriel were in handicap matches or after similar brutal multi-man muggings.

Rey put Del Rio over in his tv debut, clean, by submission. World of difference. Although, in fairness to John Boy, he just does what he's told.

Didn't Rey actually refuse to put Ziggler over? just imagine the outrage if it was Triple H who did that.

WELL, Rey was a bit miffed at having to drop the title and didnt think they were right to suspend him, so said that if he had to drop the title, he would only drop it to JoMo, his mate. Or so it goes.

Interested how many of you just read the results and didn't watch this considering the overwhelming negativity. This weeks Smackdown actually had a different feel to it and was pretty decent. I'm always amazed by people reading results of a show and moaning about how shit it is, without ever really giving it a chance. Of course it sounds rubbish with a list of results like listed here, which really tell you absolutely nothing.

This. Saying a show sucks before even seeing it is idiotic.

I also don't understand why some people look at the spoilers to see if its worth watching, whats the joy in watching something in which you know exactly whats going to happen? I don't get it.

Maybe because I actually watched it, rather than just read a pretty basic report and immedietly jump to the conclusion that it's rubbish, but I really enjoyed Smackdown. Thought it was the most enjoyable episode in several weeks, although I skipped all the Teddy Long New Year's Party bits.

• Paid Members
I also don't understand why some people look at the spoilers to see if its worth watching,

You've answered your own question. People look at the spoilers... to see if its worth watching.

For example, if I read the spoilers and see "Kane chased Paul Bearer around for a few minutes then a dummy gets hit by a car," followed by "Kingston and Ziggler wrestle for the thousandth time this year" or see a 5 minute main event with a non-finish and nothing exciting, I give it a miss.

If I read that two guys I like had a good ten minutes with a clean finish or an interesting development like Punk joining Nexus, I think "might as well see that."

I also don't understand why some people look at the spoilers to see if its worth watching,

You've answered your own question. People look at the spoilers... to see if its worth watching.

For example, if I read the spoilers and see "Kane chased Paul Bearer around for a few minutes then a dummy gets hit by a car," followed by "Kingston and Ziggler wrestle for the thousandth time this year" or see a 5 minute main event with a non-finish and nothing exciting, I give it a miss.

If I read that two guys I like had a good ten minutes with a clean finish or an interesting development like Punk joining Nexus, I think "might as well see that."

I don't see that what's the point in watching it once you know what happens it's like the latest movie at the cinema sure I could read spoilers to se eif it's any good or not but once I know what happens what's the point in going.

I'd sooner watch it without knowing what happens and take the risk of it been rubbish then go in knowing what happens and knowing it's good.

I don't see that what's the point in watching it once you know what happens it's like the latest movie at the cinema sure I could read spoilers to se eif it's any good or not but once I know what happens what's the point in going.

I'd sooner watch it without knowing what happens and take the risk of it been rubbish then go in knowing what happens and knowing it's good.

Spot on, exactly what I mean.

• Paid Members

Sure you read spoilers before going to the cinema. You read up on the film, see what it's about - premis, setting etc, the basics of whats happening i.e. to figure out if its the type of film you like - before going to see it.

Same deal here, I'm deciding if its the type of show I want to see. I used to watch every bit of WWF TV there was going in the 90s / turn of the century, but now there is so little of it that I enjoy and so few talents I care about or storylines that provoke emotional interest, I'm rather unprepared to watch 4 hours of their program a week because it might not be shit. I pick and choose.

PPVs I stay spoiler free, they're special. Did the same for 4/1/10 Raw and the post Survivors Raw because I had a gut feeling Miz might cash in.

In terms of not seeing the point once you know what happens, if everyone applied the same principles in their wrestling, Ring Of Honor wouldn't sell enough DVDs to keep going since hardly anyone stays spoiler free there.

Also, do you not bother buying DVDs of anything you've seen? I mean, you know what's going to happen, so what's the point of watching? Or Match Of The Day, even if you know the scores??

Sure you read spoilers before going to the cinema. You read up on the film, see what it's about - premis, setting etc, the basics of whats happening i.e. to figure out if its the type of film you like - before going to see it.

Same deal here, I'm deciding if its the type of show I want to see. I used to watch every bit of WWF TV there was going in the 90s / turn of the century, but now there is so little of it that I enjoy and so few talents I care about or storylines that provoke emotional interest, I'm rather unprepared to watch 4 hours of their program a week because it might not be shit. I pick and choose.

PPVs I stay spoiler free, they're special. Did the same for 4/1/10 Raw and the post Survivors Raw because I had a gut feeling Miz might cash in.

In terms of not seeing the point once you know what happens, if everyone applied the same principles in their wrestling, Ring Of Honor wouldn't sell enough DVDs to keep going since hardly anyone stays spoiler free there.

Also, do you not bother buying DVDs of anything you've seen? I mean, you know what's going to happen, so what's the point of watching? Or Match Of The Day, even if you know the scores??

Depends say like Thor or the other Marvel movies coming out I haven't read one thing about them as I really want to watch them without any knowledge of them going in I havn't seen looked up the trailers or anything.

DVD's are different if I like something I will watch it over and over again same goes for wrestling but it's never the same as the 1st time you watch something the not knowing what will happen next.

Match Of The Day I've never watched a football match in my life just don't like it.

That seems mental to me, but I guess some people are different.

Seems to me the people who enjoy the show are the ones who didn't read the spoilers first and immedietly assume it'd be rubbish without watching. I can't ever think of a situation where I'd read the results of a show to decide whether I was going to watch it or not.

• Paid Members

Fine, but can you now see the point as to why some of us do read wrestling spoilers?

I have just noticed that you were actually saying not seeing the point in watching when you know what's going to happen, but actually for me its more accurate to say I read the spoilers to determine whether or not to watch or in a lot of cases, what to fast foward to and when to switch off, i.e. after a certain match or angle.

That seems mental to me, but I guess some people are different.

People are. I wanted to illustrate an example to those who don't see the point. Because people are different.

Seems to me the people who enjoy the show are the ones who didn't read the spoilers first and immedietly assume it'd be rubbish without watching.

Well, yeah. The people who assume its rubbish without watching didnt want it so they aren't going to enjoy it.

I can't ever think of a situation where I'd read the results of a show to decide whether I was going to watch it or not.

Personally a lot of it is because I've watched so much that has been rubbish over the last few years, and there are so few wrestlers in WWE that I enjoy watching any more. And a lot of the matches have been done to death. When I read about Rey/Del Rio having a lengthy match with a clean finish, I watched it. I stayed spoiler free on Raw up til SummerSlam and again between Hell In A Cell and Survivors because I was *interested* in the Nexus storylines at these points and wanted to be surprised.

I'm nowhere near interested enough in WWE to watch it spoiler free. Especially not SmackDown. Sharing a telly I have to make an effort to be able to watch it, not be out when it's on or bother to set the Sky+ or catch the repeat, and unless I read something that I think "that sounds decent," I can't be arsed. Not when I've got a massive stack of unwatched wrestling DVDs I could watch, when I'm in a "wrestling" mood, which I *know* I'll enjoy. WWE has been hit and and miss for me for years.

Believe me, I wish I was 15 again when it was easy to watch every show 1st showing, had plenty of hours left in the day to do other stuff and cared about the product enough to watch spoiler free, but thats gone for me.

Not saying its a better way of fandom, its different for everyone. But still, here's an idea of why I do it.

• Paid Members
Seems to me the people who enjoy the show are the ones who didn't read the spoilers first and immedietly assume it'd be rubbish without watching. I can't ever think of a situation where I'd read the results of a show to decide whether I was going to watch it or not.

When I'm into something, I'll never read spoilers. Like when I'm really enjoying Impact or Smackdown. However, if it's not really doing it for me, I'll fall into the habit of reading the results to see if it looks like it's worth my time. I kind of agree with both viewpoints. You definitely will enjoy something more if you don't read the spoilers. However when the product, in this instance Smackdown, is so dull, you can't blame anyone for giving it a look first.

It's hardly an alien concept. how many people read the TV guide each week to see what's going to happen in the soaps?

Do you think part of the reason you find it dull is that you already know what's going to happen?

It's different to soaps, but I think the same about people who go out of their way to find out upcoming storylines. No problem reading the synopsis of an episode, or knowing what matches will be on a wrestling show.

I don't see a problem with knowing what matches are going to be on the show, but I just don't get the logic in looking at the results and storyline developments and how matches finish etc and using it to decide whether you should watch.

Archived