smackdown spoilers

xear

• Paid Members
Do you think part of the reason you find it dull is that you already know what's going to happen?

Not really. If I didn't find it consistently dull, I'd watch without spoiling.

I don't see a problem with knowing what matches are going to be on the show, but I just don't get the logic in looking at the results and storyline developments and how matches finish etc and using it to decide whether you should watch.

Storyline developments are a big reason why I watch wrestling. I love a good wrestling match but I'm not so keen on the (mostly) meaningless mid-card matches on Smackdown. Same as Impact, they have too many matches that mean nothing and go too long.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you and I watch wrestling for different reasons. I love the storylines too, but really I watch a wrestling show for wrestling matches, and of the 5 matches on Smackdown this week I wouldn't call any of them 'meaningless'.

If I'd already read that Trent Baretta does a crazy dive over the top rope in his match I probably would have seen it and said to myself "that was dull, I knew that was going to happen" or something equally as whackily foolish. But because I hadn't decided not to bother watching just because I saw "Drew Mcintyre beat Trent Baretta" and thought "pff, meaningless midcard match" I actually reacted to it, and enjoyed it.

Obviously I'm generalising and not suggesting that that's how you are, but I just can't get my head round the logic.

If you were going to pay money to go see a show live would you prefer knowing the results beforehand so you know whether it will be worth your money?

• Paid Members
If I'd already read that Trent Baretta does a crazy dive over the top rope in his match I probably would have seen it and said to myself "that was dull, I knew that was going to happen" or something equally as whackily foolish. But because I hadn't decided not to bother watching just because I saw "Drew Mcintyre beat Trent Baretta" and thought "pff, meaningless midcard match" I actually reacted to it, and enjoyed it.

Good for you. Enjoy it. I'm not sorry I missed Smackdown, or any other Smackdown in the last 2 years. When I do watch it, I generally fall asleep. Rather than just not watching it, I read the results to keep up. If something interesting happens, I'll go out of my way to watch it. If I enjoy that, I'll watch the next week, etc. If I'm not enjoying it, I'll do something else and read the results.

If you were going to pay money to go see a show live would you prefer knowing the results beforehand so you know whether it will be worth your money?

How can I know the results of a show before I see it live? Insane logic aside, I wouldn't pay money to see the current Smackdown product. To be fair though, I wouldn't go and see live wrestling. I consider myself too old. i don't want to be one of those creepy blokes you see at WWE events. If my daughter gets into it, I'd take her.

Pity should be happy that the opening segment gave Ziggler and his mid-card cronies some mic-time and importantly reason to be having their match.

I am. It's just a shame that it came after we'd already had Kofi vs Ziggler and Kofi vs Swagger matches about fifty times apiece. I've already had my fill of Kofi fighting them both. The opening talk and the main event spot certainly had me far more interested than I would've been otherwise, though. I did enjoy the match, another good turn from Ziggler. I enjoyed his speech at the start as well. "Every year!"

I skipped most of the tag match. I know they said it was the first time we'd seen Edge/Rey vs Kane/Del Rio, but was it? It feels like we've had that match at least once before as well. Total water-treading, either way. The sooner these feuds end (I hope it is next week, but I think you might be overly optimistic there), the happier I'll be. Edge vs Kane has never amounted to anything more than utter shit, and Rey vs Del Rio has been getting progressively worse since Rey came back.

I liked the party, I think it always makes Smackdown a more interesting show when Teddy throws a shindig. Wasn't as good as the one where MVP had a VIP area and Michael Cole threw up, but it was better than Smackdown most weeks. Lay-Cool were great in it.

I liked Baretta vs McIntyre, nice showing for Trent. Is McIntyre schizophrenic now or is he just a gobshite trying to get in Kelly's knickers? He's showing more charisma in his in-ring performances, which is nice to see. I thought the cold, blank killer routine was a bit of an Orton rip-off.

The highlight of the show was Cole being disgusted when he found out what Striker's cats are called.

I also don't understand why some people look at the spoilers to see if its worth watching, whats the joy in watching something in which you know exactly whats going to happen? I don't get it.

I don't get it either.

When I read about Rey/Del Rio having a lengthy match with a clean finish, I watched it.

Were you on the edge of your seat for the near falls? I can't fathom that match being a reason to watch, because once you've read the spoilers, you've already fucked it for yourself by knowing the result.

Do you think part of the reason you find it dull is that you already know what's going to happen?

I don't see a problem with knowing what matches are going to be on the show, but I just don't get the logic in looking at the results and storyline developments and how matches finish etc and using it to decide whether you should watch.

I agree, but it's probably only a small part of the reason. I've avoided Smackdown spoilers for about four years now, and it did increase my enjoyment of the show tons at first. But nowadays, I go into it not knowing what happens and it's still offensively dull more often than not. I'd still rather take the gamble though. I'd rather watch it fresh with the option of fast-forwarding than just sit there as events play out the same way the fan report said they would. If I'd read spoilers for this week's show, I wouldn't have bothered with it. But I'm glad I did, because I was watching it hoping Kofi would win the title in the main event. Oddly, if it'd been Kofi vs Ziggler in the opening match, I wouldn't have given a fuck whether Kofi won. The main event spot really did work wonders for me.

• Paid Members
When I read about Rey/Del Rio having a lengthy match with a clean finish, I watched it.

Were you on the edge of your seat for the near falls? I can't fathom that match being a reason to watch, because once you've read the spoilers, you've already fucked it for yourself by knowing the result.

I wouldn't have been on the edge of my seat for the near falls watching spoiler free, because I didnt particularly care who wins. I just wanted to watch it because I thought it would be good action, like hundreds (if not thousands) of matches I've watched "spoiled" over the years on tv, tape and DVD.

I still get into Shawn Michaels vs Virgil eighteen years later, even though Shawn always wins. Good action, excitable crowd, and for me the "drama" is still there, even if Shawn always wins.

The only time I get on the edge of my seat is if its an important enough match for me to care who wins. If Punk was wrestling for the title Monday on Raw, I'd watch spoiler free and be on the edge of my seat.

• Paid Members
Do people who read the spoilers to decide whether to watch or not also record live shows (like Raw) and avoid watching them live, so they can read about them first and then decide whether to watch? Just curious.

There's a line you can cross into just being a dick. Look behind you, you'll see it.

• Paid Members
Do people who read the spoilers to decide whether to watch or not also record live shows (like Raw) and avoid watching them live, so they can read about them first and then decide whether to watch? Just curious.

I may record and watch Raw spoiler free in case Punk & Nexus stays interesting, but usually, yeah I read the results first to see if its worth spending time watching it.

Someone else nailed it also that a lot of it has to do with rarely enjoying the actual watching of the tv. Most of the reading results is just to keep up with the happenings between the PPVs, which I do watch. Can't be bothered with the tv unless as I said there is a decent length match between guys I like without a non-finish, a title change or interesting event.

• Paid Members

In response to both you and air raid here, I'll usually read the spoilers for Smackdown because I have to go out of my way to watch it and I don't really want to waste my time on it with how awful it's been the past year or so. If it gets a good hype surrounding it, I may give it a chance as spoilers CAN be misleading but usually it's just same old same old.

Raw on the other hand has a lot of characters that I find interesting and is shown at a convenient time for me as I'm usually free in the night due to having a late start at Uni on Tuesdays. It can be shit, yes, but it's been far more entertaining than Smackdown for a long time. I do enjoy good matches and Smackdown usually delivers there but, as the Kofi vs. Ziggler feud shows, they tend to drag them out WAY too long with no real story behind them until eventually every bit of interest has been sucked out of them. You'd probably argue the same for a feud like Triple H vs Shawn Michaels from 2002-2005 and you wouldn't be wrong either.

I do really enjoy watching some of the people on Smackdown, particularly Jack Swagger and Cody Rhodes, but they're just not enough to get me motivated currently. Swagger needs the fucking eagle back I say.

Archived