Sign in to follow this  
Bluetonic

John Cena injured

Sorry my bad,

It would be in WWE's best interest to start building a new "super face" in time for Wrestlemania since Cena might be sidelined.

Sorry my bad,

It would be in WWE's best interest to start building a new "super face" in time for Wrestlemania since Cena might be sidelined.

There we go, much better!

I very much doubt he'll be out 'til mania now, seems like people over-reacted when this injury was announced.

It would have been in WWE's best interests to have built-up a number of other "top Face" options over the last few years. That way they might have a top face that isn't laughed at and boo'd by a good chunk of their audiences.

I hope he's done for good and we never have to see him in a ring again although this is to unlikely. The man is not anywhere near the level some people believe he is, he's part of the decline of mainstream wrestling and we will never move forward to days like the attitude era or hulkamania running wild with him as a main attraction.

Wrestling will never, ever get anywhere near as popular as that again because the magic is gone. I think there'll always be an appeal to young people but they'll never again attract audiences of that size nor encapsulate several age groups like they did in the late 90's.

That is nothing to do with John Cena, love him or hate him. The damage was done a long time ago. People have too many options these days, there is genuine "real" competition and everyone can find out how wrestling works way too easily. There's no mystique.

The problem is that they CAN get that audience back, they've just gotta stop producing years after years of shite. Interesting real characters not cartoonish jokes. Wrestling is in its worst state ever in the WWE, the wrestlers are not up to scratch with years gone by, the storylines suck, the matches for the most part are much weaker. Its a big chain of mediocrity that people are willing to let happen.

The direction to focus the product on kids was basically them giving up and saying "we don't know how to make TV for the 18-35 demographic anymore" Anyone could get kids to love them, because they'll buy into anything usually.

What a load of tosh.

I hope he's done for good and we never have to see him in a ring again although this is to unlikely. The man is not anywhere near the level some people believe he is, he's part of the decline of mainstream wrestling and we will never move forward to days like the attitude era or hulkamania running wild with him as a main attraction.

Wrestling will never, ever get anywhere near as popular as that again because the magic is gone. I think there'll always be an appeal to young people but they'll never again attract audiences of that size nor encapsulate several age groups like they did in the late 90's.

That is nothing to do with John Cena, love him or hate him. The damage was done a long time ago. People have too many options these days, there is genuine "real" competition and everyone can find out how wrestling works way too easily. There's no mystique.

The problem is that they CAN get that audience back, they've just gotta stop producing years after years of shite. Interesting real characters not cartoonish jokes. Wrestling is in its worst state ever in the WWE, the wrestlers are not up to scratch with years gone by, the storylines suck, the matches for the most part are much weaker. Its a big chain of mediocrity that people are willing to let happen.

The direction to focus the product on kids was basically them giving up and saying "we don't know how to make TV for the 18-35 demographic anymore" Anyone could get kids to love them, because they'll buy into anything usually.

What a load of tosh.

Agreed. I think we all suffer from rose tinted glasses syndrome sometimes. In my opinion the quality of the wrestling, the wrestlers, the production values are far superior (though like everyone else there are times when I question some of storylines).

Seems to me that wwe are doing really well overall, and reaiming the show to a more family friendly audience will likely pay of in the long run.

PG is here to stay, Mattell deal is until 2015 and will be extended as its proving profitible for both sides. wwe is getting less media flack, wrestlers are working safer, career lengthening styles. its like it or lump it time as this is how its gonna be. wish tna could fill the gap with a more adult feel, but they get close and fail too often, and there small audience shows there isnt a large scale interest in a more adult show to the wider market

CENASUXLOLZ!!!!

They can't get that audience back, most of it will have just outgrown wrestling. In fact, most of the audience disappeared when WWE were still doing exactly what they from 1998-2000. It was short termist stuff. Once you've pushed the envelope, what do you do next? WWE tried to rehash it over and over through the last decade to little success. They've had to work on a formula where they can make money from other means to be profitable.

Regardless of what they promote, that massive audience isn't coming back. They could definitely attract more viewers and more PPV buyers but not that much more. The audience isn't there. If there was a massive audience wanting to see "name" wrestlers aimed at the 18035 demographic, TNA would get much bigger ratings.

And blaming Cena is just silly. I thought the same when I read PowerSlam's laughable article last month. The problem is that WWE hasn't made enough stars. Blaming the one star they have made in the last 5 years is silly. They've never been so short on star power, that needs addressing.

64kxlz.gif

The problem is that WWE hasn't made enough stars. They've never been so short on star power, that needs addressing.

Bang on. When the WWF lost Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels to WcW and serious injury respectively, leaving Undertaker and new champion Stone Cole on top, they immediately acted, promoting Foley and Kane to the main event bracket and starting the gradual build of Rocky and Tripper to become main eventers into 1999.

These days after relying on a crop of Cena/Orton/Batista/Triple H main events for so long, things look bare when Trips has been off for a while, Dave left, and Cena and Orton have wrestled pretty much everyone.

Unfortunately because they havent had the foresight to bring anyone along gradually, its always feels rushed when someone is put into main events i.e. Sheamus, Swagger, Barratt. They cut Kofi's legs off too. The only one they have that followed anything close to a logical development was Miz, who went from undercard to upper midcard / United States Champion building heel heat as he went, and even then he was in no way a recognized "main eventer" when they put the belt on him. I put a lot of it down to lack of patience.

However I firmly believe that with Punk being restored to the top end and how quickly Del Rio is coming on, they may just have bought a little more time before it gets desperate, although its truly tragic that JoMo's title shot is being spunked away on Raw, because a Rumble title match might have been a good step towards starting to push him as main event calibre, if they think he potentially is.

Edited by air_raid_crash

WWE is going the way of the world. We will have 2 top guys to save on money and anything we need we can bring in from elsewhere.

Vince if he was in trouble could pick the phone up and go Batista/Goldberg/Lesnar/SCSA/Shamrock and get some sort of match for mania if he was stuck.

It's cheaper to have a few main eventers than to have lots of upper mid-carders/main eventers. Plus Rey Rey and Cena sell out bucket loads of merch to their target audience.

Vince if he was in trouble could pick the phone up and go Batista/Goldberg/Lesnar/SCSA/Shamrock and get some sort of match for mania if he was stuck.

Eh?????

It's cheaper to have a few main eventers than to have lots of upper mid-carders/main eventers. Plus Rey Rey and Cena sell out bucket loads of merch to their target audience.

Why is it cheaper? Surely your contract is for the amount of money you sign up for other than your merchandise cut?

Not with that attitude. Of course they can attract big audiences again and be able to appeal to a wide spectrum of age groups. There will always be that opportunity. They can achieve that again, whether John Cena is on top or not.

People having too many options because there is genuine 'real' competition means nothing. Yes, there's similarities but really the sport of MMA and the TV show of WWE are two completely different animals. UFC only really began to find success when they took ideas from what has made Pro-Wrestling work so well in the past. I enjoy both MMA and pro-wrestling but for mainly different reasons personally. For me, i've always viewed wrestling/WWE and enjoyed it the most as comic-book come to life, larger than life characters, personalities and presence. I've never viewed it as real sporting competition or looked to get that out of it. I don't think many people do in general either and haven't for a long time.

People don't care that it's pre-determined, i hate to use the film comparison but it's true to an extent that you can enjoy a film or a soap knowing that the events you're seeing aren't real. Pro-wrestling is the same, so long as it's good enough to capture your imagination, lose yourself in the moment and suspend your disbelief. Pro-wrestling hasn't been viewed as a sport since before the 80's, it's it's own animal entirely and doesn't fit into any grouping. The physical talent is more than there in heaps to produce impressive feats of athleticism more than it ever had before and to produce exciting matches. What's missing is the personality, the character. Hogan, Piper, Andre, Warrior, Savage, Flair, Heenan, Perfect, etc... Austin, Foley, Rock, Hart, Undertaker, Michaels, McMahon, Hall, Nash, etc were all overflowing with character and/or personality. Everyone was identifiable and watching one show you'd know within moments exactly what they was all about. WWE feels so controlled now (although i understand why it is) that those elements struggle to shine through. I believe it's those elements not being apparent is where WWE fails to capture an audience. It's something UFC now do exceptionally well focusing on and making the audience aware of. Someone flicking through channels, flashy offence or the bright lights or impressive physiques may catch someones eye but it's then being captivated by a character or story that will keep them there.