formatting an external hard drive to work on a ps3

Egg Shen

I'm trying to watch some divx files off my 4GB usb stick on my PS3. However the PS3 doesn't seem to find any files on the stick. The stick shows up in the menu. Yet when you advance to actually look in the stick there is nothing there. Anyone have any insight?

Instead of clicking to look in the stick, press triangle on it so the options menu comes up, then click "show all" or "select all" and you'll see them.

• Paid Members
I'm trying to watch some divx files off my 4GB usb stick on my PS3. However the PS3 doesn't seem to find any files on the stick. The stick shows up in the menu. Yet when you advance to actually look in the stick there is nothing there. Anyone have any insight?

Have you created a folder called video on it?

No. The stick is used for general stuff. Not just for the PS3. Would making a video folder and putting the files in that folder help?

I have tried pressing triangle. I don't think it helped though. Will try again.

Thanks for the help.

• Paid Members

Have you created a folder called video on it?

No. The stick is used for general stuff. Not just for the PS3. Would making a video folder and putting the files in that folder help?

I have tried pressing triangle. I don't think it helped though. Will try again.

Thanks for the help.

Yes it needs to have a folder called video for it to work.

• Paid Members

Created the video folder. Can watch the divx files now. Can also see what else is on the stick too. Not sure why creating the video folder makes the stick visible. All I have done is put the divx files in the video folder. Everything else is as it was.

Objective achieved. Thanks for the help

Archived